Solved

Many newbie questions

• 3 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi All!

My family is traveling from the USA. We start in London, plan to take the ferry over to Netherlands and then travel to Belgium, Paris, then on to Italy for a couple stops. 

My main question is, with the Eurail pass, does this just cover trains that are on the map? or can you use the trains/trams/buses that are within the cities with this as well. 

Trying to figure out the cost effectiveness. Thank you! 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 3 January 2024, 16:56

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This looks like a great trip!

No, the map is totally incomplete. Pretty much all European trains are included.

You get 30% discount on the ferry to the Netherlands (although the discount must be renewed soon).

Travel within cities is not included but tickets are rather cheap. Suburban trains are included in Germany but not in Paris for example (RER network). Again, not worth using a pass day for those.

The direct route from Paris to Milan is closed for quite some time due to a landslide. The most logical route is via Switzerland. If you wish to travel on a splendid Alpine railway have a look the Bernina route (takes longer ofc).

Also possible via Nice and the Mediterranean.

The Simplon route will be closed from June to September meaning rail replacement buses. Better to travel via Gotthard or Centovalli (have a look at Google Maps).

Reservations are mandatory on fast/high-speed trains in France, Italy + some cross-border routes. Have a look at https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Questions welcome.

Btw @Camilo. @Mukhammad the Eurail map is confusing so many travellers (thinking they're tied to a few mainlines) that I'm not sure it's worth keeping it...

Thank you so much!!! 

How can I find which specific rails inside certain countries are included with the monthly pass? 

I'm so sorry I’m not knowledgeable in this. I am so happy there are people like you in this world! It gives me faith😀

Becky 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have a look at the link I posted above. It should answer most of your questions -> https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Basically all trains are included except :

- low-cost competitors (Ouigo, Flixtrain, etc.)

- private railways to mountain peaks like Jungfraujoch (you often get a discount though)

- RER in Paris, subways, buses, trams

Feel free to ask further questions :)