Solved

One travel day "spent" before even starting?

• 17 August 2022
  • 4 replies

I have the 10-travel day pass, and will start my trip in September, however when I started planning the trip in the app it says I have already spent one travel day. I put in the rest of my plan but now I have put in 8 travel days and the app says I only have one day left. 

As I am not starting in my home country I will not need to use a travel day for the outbound journey, but is that day reserved for outbound/inbound or something? I thought I could use my travel days for any trip (as long as I wasn’t travelling around my home country). I can see that the first day of the trip is marked as “Travel day” however, I have to take the bus for my first trip and this bus is not included in the pass, so it’s a manual entry in the app. Should I put the first “train travel day” as the first day of the pass instead? Would I then get in trouble as the bus fair was Interrail-discounted?

Has anyone experienced the same thing or know why it’s doing this?

icon

Best answer by Al_G 17 August 2022, 19:06

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The day that you set as your starting day is automatically assigned as a travel day..

If, as it appears, you have already added travel days I suggest you remove them all.

Only add in days when you 100% know you will use them as once the day begins (midnight CET) it cannot be removed by you.

The day that you set as your starting day is automatically assigned as a travel day..

If, as it appears, you have already added travel days I suggest you remove them all.

Only add in days when you 100% know you will use them as once the day begins (midnight CET) it cannot be removed by you.

Okay, thank you. I’ve only put in the trips I am sure I am doing, but I guess I would have to put my first train-day as my first travel day then, since I am starting by bus? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Okay, thank you. I’ve only put in the trips I am sure I am doing, but I guess I would have to put my first train-day as my first travel day then, since I am starting by bus? 

Unless it is a rail replacement bus or one of the handful of buses run by a railway that you are using your pass to travel on then yes, do not activate your pass for that day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and train in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.