Solved

Seat reservations from Amsterdam to Paris

• 6 October 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a Eurail Global Pass and wish to book between Amsterdam and Paris on 9th December. I have read that there are limited 10€ seat reservations, otherwise it’s 20€, but when I use the b-europe website I am only seeing 36€ fares - this is with my Eurail 2nd class Pass listed! I have tried a variety of dates to see if it’s a quota thing, but they all seem to be the same. Searches on the Eurail site also min. of approx $56 (AUD). 

Hoping someone can help clarify! 

icon

Best answer by Al_G 6 October 2023, 06:55

View original

3 replies

I would add that trainline.com has the same tickets for $60AUD, which makes me think the Pass is worth nothing for this leg. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The €10/€20 passholder reservations are for domestic French TGV services.

Paris - Amsterdam is Eurostar Red (formerly Thalys) which are as you have seen €36 and also have a small quota.

As you have also seen the cheapest regular fares can be a better option than Pass+reservation on some routes. You would need to book these quickly as they are like airline fares and will rise significantly as the cheaper fares sell.

You should also look at the www.eurostar.com website to see if buying directly beats trainline or offers better conditions.

International high-speed trains to/from France have the highest reservation cost of any trains in Europe unfortunately.

Thank you Al_G - must have got my wires crossed. Glad to know I’m not missing something though, thank you for this helpful information. :)