Solved

The use of inbound/outbound when passing through home country

Hi,

I wanted to travel first from my home country Germany to Sweden and using the outbound journey day for this. Afterwards I wanted to use the inbound journey day to pass with the night train through Germany to Austria and then continue on south. Afterwards I wanted to drive home to Germany using regular tickets.

But the Interrail Info about passing through your home country says:

“Keep in mind that when you want to travel from one country to another, and you have to travel through your country of residence, the app wil apply both the inbound and the outbound journey to this trip. “

Does this mean that I need to spend both the inbound and the outbound journey day to pass through my home country, although this only ‘costs’ one travels day?

And a second question: When I return from Sweden using the over night ferry Goteborg - Kiel (Kiel is in Northern Germany), do I have to spend one of the two outbound/inbound days to arrive at Kiel? Or can I stay two days in Kiel and then start the inbound journey (either to go home or to pass through Germany to Austria as described above).

Thank you very much!

Greetings, Jojo

icon

Best answer by MartinM 11 May 2022, 13:11

View original

7 replies

Hi everyone!

I have a similar question and hope to find a solution to at the same thread:

Sorry @Don Jojo for not helping at this point :)

I am living in Austria and already going to use up my domestic out- and ingoing journey for starting/ending Interrail.

At some point I want to take the ECE from Munich to Zurich that passes through Bregenz (AT). It’s the only stop on the way in my home country. Can I use the pass in this occasion or do I have to buy a ticket (e.g. from the previous German stop until the first halt in CH)?

I added the routing  beneath.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

München Hbf Gl.27-36   ab 12:55 31 DE
Buchloe an 13:34 ab 13:36 4 DE
Memmingen an 13:58 ab 14:01 2 DE
Lindau-Reutin an 14:50 ab 14:52 22 DE
Bregenz an 14:58 ab 15:00 5AB AUSTRIA
St. Margrethen SG an 15:09 ab 15:10 2 CH
St. Gallen(CH) an 15:28 ab 15:29 1 CH
Winterthur an 16:01 ab 16:03 3 CH
Zürich Flughafen an 16:16   4 CH
Zürich HB an 16:27   31
Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi,

I wanted to travel first from my home country Germany to Sweden and using the outbound journey day for this. Afterwards I wanted to use the inbound journey day to pass with the night train through Germany to Austria and then continue on south. Afterwards I wanted to drive home to Germany using regular tickets.

“Keep in mind that when you want to travel from one country to another, and you have to travel through your country of residence, the app wil apply both the inbound and the outbound journey to this trip. “

Does this mean that I need to spend both the inbound and the outbound journey day to pass through my home country, although this only ‘costs’ one travels day?

And a second question: When I return from Sweden using the over night ferry Goteborg - Kiel (Kiel is in Northern Germany), do I have to spend one of the two outbound/inbound days to arrive at Kiel? Or can I stay two days in Kiel and then start the inbound journey (either to go home or to pass through Germany to Austria as described above).

Thank you very much!

Greetings, Jojo

Hey,

yes, transiting through your home country will count as in-/outbound trip… as far as I understood 

Hi everyone!

Sorry @Don Jojo for not helping at this point :)

I am living in Austria and already going to use up my domestic out- and ingoing journey for starting/ending Interrail.

At some point I want to take the ECE from Munich to Zurich that passes through Bregenz (AT). It’s the only stop on the way in my home country. Can I use the pass in this occasion or do I have to buy a ticket (e.g. from the previous German stop until the first halt in CH)?

Thanks a lot,

Mike

Hey, I am traveling frequently on this route. If you have a Klimaticket, you will be fine as it covers the parts from German border to Swiss border.
Otherwise you have to buy a single ticket from Lindau-Reutin to St. Margrethen. Best to buy via ÖBB as it will be the cheapest. 
Conductors will ask for sure about the ticket between Lindau and St. Margrethen (at least I get always asked and I use this trains around 20x per year), so if you can’t show a valid ticket, it will get expensive!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As the ferry from Göteborg to Kiel isn’t free with the Interrail pass you will not use the inbound journey to enter Germany in Kiel. For the ferry you purchase a discounted ticket and you should not enter the journey from Göteborg to Kiel as a trip in the app. The important thing here is that you don’t enter the trip back from Sweden to Germany as a trip in the app. You can then stay as many days as you like in Kiel and also travel more in Germany on tickets that you buy until you decide to use the inbound journey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi,

Thank you very much!

Greetings, Jojo

Hey,

yes, transiting through your home country will count as in-/outbound trip… as far as I understood 

Hi everyone!

Sorry @Don Jojo for not helping at this point :)

Thanks a lot,

Mike

Hey, I am traveling frequently on this route. If you have a Klimaticket, you will be fine as it covers the parts from German border to Swiss border.
Otherwise you have to buy a single ticket from Lindau-Reutin to St. Margrethen. Best to buy via ÖBB as it will be the cheapest. 
Conductors will ask for sure about the ticket between Lindau and St. Margrethen (at least I get always asked and I use this trains around 20x per year), so if you can’t show a valid ticket, it will get expensive!

It is important that you in the app enter one journey from München to Lindau and then another journey from St Margrethen to Zürich.

As the ferry from Göteborg to Kiel isn’t free with the Interrail pass you will not use the inbound journey to enter Germany in Kiel. For the ferry you purchase a discounted ticket and you should not enter the journey from Göteborg to Kiel as a trip in the app. The important thing here is that you don’t enter the trip back from Sweden to Germany as a trip in the app. You can then stay as many days as you like in Kiel and also travel more in Germany on tickets that you buy until you decide to use the inbound journey.

Ah ok, so in the Rail Planner app I only add trains, not ferries (the app doesn’t seem to know ferries anyway). So the day of arrival doesn’t trigger the inbound journey. And when I enter the ferry they only check, whether my ticket is valid on the day of departure (not the day of arrival) and they don’t check if there is some ‘ferry-trip’ written down in my pass.

Ah question for future considerations: If I would have had a one-country pass that is only valid in Sweden, could I have entered a ferry from Sweden to Germany with this pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah ok, so in the Rail Planner app I only add trains, not ferries

In the app you enter any means of transport that is 100% covered by the pass. If you only get a discount, then you don't enter it and you don't need a travel day (with a flexi pass).

(the app doesn’t seem to know ferries anyway).

Some ferries are in it, others are missing.

So the day of arrival doesn’t trigger the inbound journey. And when I enter the ferry they only check, whether my ticket is valid on the day of departure (not the day of arrival) and they don’t check if there is some ‘ferry-trip’ written down in my pass.

If you only have a discount, then the journey with discount should be within the validity period of your Interrail.

Ah question for future considerations: If I would have had a one-country pass that is only valid in Sweden, could I have entered a ferry from Sweden to Germany with this pass?

Good question. To be honest, I've never been asked for the Interrail when boarding a ferry with a discounted ticket...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The app will only use one inbound/outbound journey. But Lindau - St Margrethen is not expensive if bought via ÖBB.