Solved

Travelling from Bremen to Lyon and back - possible with Interrail Global Pass?

I am from Germany and I would like to travel by train from Bremen to Lyon and back from Lyon to Bremen to visit a friend. The date I plan to travel to Lyon is May 17th, and the day I want to return from Lyon to Bremen is May 21st or alternatively May 22nd. I have checked train connections on the website of Deutsche Bahn, but the fares are significantly more expensive than using the Interrail Global Pass. Therefore, I would like to use the Global Pass with the "4 days in a month" option during my travels. However, I am uncertain about which connections I am allowed to take. Can I take the TGW, the IC, and the ICE trains with the Interrail Global Pass? I will only be traveling on two days (instead of four days as paid for in the pass) with a few changeovers on both trips. With these information provided, is it possible for me to purchase the interrail global pass “4 days in a month” for around 230 Euros?

I would be really thankful for help :) Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 8 March 2023, 12:40

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can. 

You might want to avoid the TGV's (and the seat reservation fees) by travelling over Switzerland, and taking Regional trains to Lyon from Genève.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Du kannst diese Züge benutzen, aber das ist das Himmerfahrtswochenende und es wird sehr voll sein. Das heißt: zuerst für Züge mit Pflichtreservierung die Verfügbarkeit prüfen und buchen.

Thanks for your advice. Is it right that I am not allowed to take night jets via the interrail global pass or only with an additional fee? 

ÖBB Nightjets are allowed, but only with mandatory reservation (that come with a cost).

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If you don’t mind spending the night on a seat, then you can take the IC part of the nightjet without a reservation. Departing 23.11 from Bremen Hbf, arriving next day at 13.28 in Lyon if all the connections work.