Solved

Travelling from Bremen to Lyon and back - possible with Interrail Global Pass?

I am from Germany and I would like to travel by train from Bremen to Lyon and back from Lyon to Bremen to visit a friend. The date I plan to travel to Lyon is May 17th, and the day I want to return from Lyon to Bremen is May 21st or alternatively May 22nd. I have checked train connections on the website of Deutsche Bahn, but the fares are significantly more expensive than using the Interrail Global Pass. Therefore, I would like to use the Global Pass with the "4 days in a month" option during my travels. However, I am uncertain about which connections I am allowed to take. Can I take the TGW, the IC, and the ICE trains with the Interrail Global Pass? I will only be traveling on two days (instead of four days as paid for in the pass) with a few changeovers on both trips. With these information provided, is it possible for me to purchase the interrail global pass “4 days in a month” for around 230 Euros?

I would be really thankful for help :) Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 8 March 2023, 12:40

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Du kannst diese Züge benutzen, aber das ist das Himmerfahrtswochenende und es wird sehr voll sein. Das heißt: zuerst für Züge mit Pflichtreservierung die Verfügbarkeit prüfen und buchen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can. 

You might want to avoid the TGV's (and the seat reservation fees) by travelling over Switzerland, and taking Regional trains to Lyon from Genève.

Thanks for your advice. Is it right that I am not allowed to take night jets via the interrail global pass or only with an additional fee? 

ÖBB Nightjets are allowed, but only with mandatory reservation (that come with a cost).

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If you don’t mind spending the night on a seat, then you can take the IC part of the nightjet without a reservation. Departing 23.11 from Bremen Hbf, arriving next day at 13.28 in Lyon if all the connections work.