Unexpected routes/companies where Interrail is valid

• 11 January 2024
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey,

would be cool to make a collection of routes/companies where you wouldn’t expect that Interrail is valid.

I am starting with:

• Citybahn Chemnitz: on the trams with C before the digits you can use your Interrail also on the innercity tram. ATTENTION: it is not on the tramlines valid, that use exactly the same route which are operated by CVAG.
  • Trambahia (Cadiz): it is operated by RENFE so you can use your Interrail pass. But you should get a ticket ahead from the ticket office in Cadiz. If you are boarding at a non-manned station I don’t know how it works.

Looking forward to more interesting opportunities ;-)

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In a post about validity in the UK, we concluded that it’s valid on the Tyne and Wear Metro, but only for direct journeys between Sunderland-Heworth-Newcastle, and not for any intermediate stops. (This is because rail & Metro tickets are accepted interchangeably on this specific section of route.)

Glasgow: Scotrail’s Glasgow stations bus link

London: London Overground, Thameslink, Elizabeth Line, and national rail trains including Stansted, Gatwick and Luton Airport Express (but not Heathrow Express or Luton Airport DART)

I believe it might be valid on some RER trains in Paris, if they’re operated by SNCF. But I’m not sure about this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There are many places where Eurail/ Interrail isn’t valid, of course. But places it’s (surprisingly) not valid.

Zurich the Sihltal Zürich Uetliberg Bahn, which operates the popular S-Bahn route to the Uetliberg. It’s valid on pretty much all other S-Bahn trains in DE AT CH, I think?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  • Trambahia (Cadiz): it is operated by RENFE so you can use your Interrail pass. But you should get a ticket ahead from the ticket office in Cadiz. If you are boarding at a non-manned station I don’t know how it works.

We had ticket checks on the tram last year and the inspector said we needed a ticket and claimed you could get it from the ticket machines but that was not correct.

The Cadíz tram is part of the Cadíz Cercanías. IMO you don't need an extra ticket, since they don't announce that anywhere, so how are you supposed to know. We had something similar on a reservation-free regional train. We were told in a friendly way that it's better get get a €0 ticket even for a regional train. But there's no information about that anywhere. I know they exist, because in Zaragoza they issued them to be able to get through the gates (instead of just opening them for us).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In Basel, you can use passes on the BLT tram lines. One of those lines, to Rodersdorf, passes through France.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

We had ticket checks on the tram last year and the inspector said we needed a ticket and claimed you could get it from the ticket machines but that was not correct.

The Cadíz tram is part of the Cadíz Cercanías. IMO you don't need an extra ticket, since they don't announce that anywhere, so how are you supposed to know. We had something similar on a reservation-free regional train. We were told in a friendly way that it's better get get a €0 ticket even for a regional train. But there's no information about that anywhere. I know they exist, because in Zaragoza they issued them to be able to get through the gates (instead of just opening them for us).

Yeah, I also had ticket check there (seems to be quite frequent) and she ignored my paper pass completely and was just interested in the ticket that I got from the ticket office beforehand.

And yes, also for all other “free” tickets it is recommended to get one at the station beforehand (mostly they give it you automatically when you ask to open the gate) as if you have tight connections, you will be way faster through the gates.
This is valid for FEVE trains and also for Cercanias + the tram in Cadiz.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I believe it might be valid on some RER trains in Paris, if they’re operated by SNCF. But I’m not sure about this.

I also once believed that but I'm not so sure anymore.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

AFAIK Interrail is not valid on the RER in Paris. Although never tried it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

And yes, also for all other “free” tickets it is recommended to get one at the station beforehand (mostly they give it you automatically when you ask to open the gate) as if you have tight connections, you will be way faster through the gates.

Recommended = not mandatory :)

We didn't bother, especially when there was no ticket office…

In Catalonia, the QR codes did work for a few days for the Rodalies gates, until they started to show an error message. So there's still some hope that these Renfe gates will work one day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The funicular from Bourg St. Maurice to Les Arcs should be also free with an Interrail pass:  https://en.lesarcs.com/funicular

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Interrail can also be used (if valid on that day) to travel from Belfast Lanyon Place to the city center by bus for free (see https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/offer/take-the-enterprise-service-to-belfast#:~:text=Getting%20to%20the%20City%20Centre,Titanic%20Quarter%20Station%20by%20train.)