Solved

Venice to Pordenone 1st Class Eurail

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have a Eurail 1st class pass and want to catch this train from Venice to Pordenone. Is this the right web site to book it? Is the 26EUD booking fee right?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 1 March 2024, 09:53

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It's the correct price for 2 persons.

Also note that there are also frequent regional (R) and regional express (RV) trains, of which the RV are just as fast as the Frecciarossa. Normal fare for those is €7.85 for a single journey (2nd class only).

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks. I should look to see how much my Eurail 1st class pass saves me. Appreciate your confirmation 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Interesting. My Eurail passes saved 32 Euro on this trip from what I can see. I thought Eurail would save more than that. I shouldn’t be surprised at my Italian countrymen. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Should I go from Venezia Mestre, or Santa Lucia?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I just realised it’s actually 36EUD from Santa Licia. Hmmm. I wish I knew my geography better

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I am staying close to Santa Lucia, so is this the right ride and price for what I need?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You could do this yes but there's a regional train minutes later saving you a lot of money : 10:01 - 11:13. Fully reservation-free.

As said by rvdborgt you could save the pass day and simply buy a regular ticket for 7€.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yes, such a short train ride that is not faster with Frecciarossa, is not worth 36 EUR ánd the cost of a pass day. It’s absurdly expensive even.

Go for an ordinary ticket for the Regional train (that takes about the same time as the Frecce train), if that’s the only train (way-back) that day you’ll be taking.

If you take some other trains that day, or have a continuous pass, just register the regional train in your app and pass, just before boarding, hop on, and board, without paying anything extra.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks.

I have to pick up a hire car about a 15 minute walk from the train station in Pordenone by midday. I don’t know how timely the regional trains are likely to run or if there’s likely to be an Uber or other transport to get the car in time. And my guess is that if I get to the car place at 12:01, they’ll be gone.

Is the 11:13 arrival time likely to give me enough contingency time for a late train and late Uber or rain while I walk it, or am I better off getting an earlier regional train?

Also, when catching trains in Europe, what are the arrangements for luggage? We will have a medium suitcase and a carry-on each?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Oh, and I won’t be taking any other trains that day. However I don’t think I am going to be using my 15 days travel anyway. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks.

I have to pick up a hire car about a 15 minute walk from the train station in Pordenone by midday. I don’t know how timely the regional trains are likely to run or if there’s likely to be an Uber or other transport to get the car in time. And my guess is that if I get to the car place at 12:01, they’ll be gone.

Is the 11:13 arrival time likely to give me enough contingency time for a late train and late Uber or rain while I walk it, or am I better off getting an earlier regional train?

Also, when catching trains in Europe, what are the arrangements for luggage? We will have a medium suitcase and a carry-on each?

You’re taking trains, not planes. You can take as much luggage as you can carry. You can stow it under seats, or in luggage racks above seats. No extra costs, weight restrications, security checks or any other frills attached.

You have plenty of time, very long delays are rare. There’s always a next train or an earlier one.

If you reserved a car it won’t disappear when you’re a bit later.Or you just give phone call, and inform that you’ll be a bit later.

You really don’t have to stress or provide huge buffer time about this very straightforward trip, it’s like taking a simple city bus. 😉

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks Brendan. 

The query about luggage was because someone told me luggage has to be stored in a separate carriage - maybe that was years ago when he went to Europe.

My parents are Italian and their take on the hire car issue was - don’t be late as they won’t wait. Maybe that’s an old cultural bias.

thibcabe said “there's a regional train minutes later saving you a lot of money : 10:01 - 11:13. Fully reservation-free.” I will plan on taking that one and not make a reservation, then.

Thanks again for your help and patience with me