Solved

Want to use senior pass after birthday but upon purchase I can't select my birth date

I will begin travel in Europe 10 September 2022.

My 60th birthday is 31 August but I will be on a houseboat without wifi connection from 22 August to 4 September.

I’d prefer to purchase my Eurail pass prior to 22 August but am unable to find my birthdate on the purchase page… which I suppose means I cannot make that purchase until I am actually age 60.

Is there any way around this?

I fear that I’ll be cutting it too close to wait until 4 September when my trip begins 10 September.

icon

Best answer by mcadv 1 July 2022, 04:58

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, I am afraid not. Will not work for seniors just turning to 60-OTOH it also hits those who are now still junior but not anymore on starting date of pass.

But why even fear for you have 6 days from 4 till 10/9? That should give plenty of time-the mobile version comes in seconds.

IF you fly in to this continent (likely the case for most) then in some countries you can still buy the old-style paper pass on some major stations/airprots-mostly DE=Germany, NOT GB of course.

OK. That’s what I figured I’d need to do.  Thank you!

What about then making seat reservations on such short notice?  Think that will be an issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you will be a senior when you start using the pass, then you buy a senior pass.

You don't have to be a senior when you buy the pass. It is your age on the first day of the validity of the pass that is relevant 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can start buying reservations now if you follow the advice of the experienced travellers in the Community. 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and ticket in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello, unfortunately our website does not allow to buy a senior pass if your age at the time of purchase does not align with the pass’ age restrictions. That being said, you might also have activation issues if you are a senior when traveling with an adult pass. The best option here is to wait until August 31st to purchase a senior pass and to make the necessary reservations in advance using the advice in the link that @AnnaB provided. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello, unfortunately our website does not allow to buy a senior pass if your age at the time of purchase does not align with the pass’ age restrictions

@Claudi. Are there any plans to change this? It's a big disadvantage if you can't use the promotional offers in the year you go from one age category to another.