Solved

Caledonian Sleeper question

Show first post

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How are you getting from Edinburgh to Paris?

Im doing the Calidonian sleeper Garelochhead to Euston, then the eurostar to Paris from St Pancras itl. The pass doesn't cover either in full. I got the califonian sleeper supplement and doesn't cover the euro star.

Just to be clear, you’re using the pass for the whole journey Garelochhead - Euston - Paris - Basel? And you’re paying a the sleeper supplement and the Eurostar supplement?

I’m not sure what adding Gareloch - Edinburgh achieves here? The app will use up a travel day on the 16th which is not what you want. And adding Edinburgh-London will use up the 17th.

You could add Edinburgh-London to the app, which departs after midnight local time, and guarantees that you will only use the 17th - both according to the way the rules are written, and the way the app behaves.

But you’d have to pay £8.40 for an Anytime Day Single from Gareloch-Edinburgh if you want to guarantee the travel on the 16th doesn’t use up a travel day, and you shouldn’t have to do that.

Thank you for your help, I'll delete Garelochhead to Edinburgh and add Edinburgh-London on the 17th shame they have made this so awkward. 

Im doing the Calidonian sleeper Garelochhead to Euston, then the eurostar to Paris from St Pancras itl. The pass doesn't cover either in full. I got the califonian sleeper supplement and doesn't cover the euro star.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m not sure what adding Gareloch - Edinburgh achieves here? The app will use up a travel day on the 16th which is not what you want. And adding Edinburgh-London will use up the 17th.

You could add Edinburgh-London to the app, which departs after midnight local time, and guarantees that you will only use the 17th - both according to the way the rules are written, and the way the app behaves.

But you’d have to pay £8.40 for an Anytime Day Single from Gareloch-Edinburgh if you want to guarantee the travel on the 16th doesn’t use up a travel day, and you shouldn’t have to do that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you both for your advice. Yes I have a a 10 days in 2 months pass and I've included the 16th. I've also added Garelochhead to Edinburgh as my first journey so I can generate the ticket. Would you say this looks right/good enough to generate the online pass? Thank you again 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I was going to suggest a practical solution of buying a ticket from Garelochhead to the first station after midnight local time, but there aren’t any on this train. (And yous shouldn't have to pay extra anyway!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, in theory you only need to use a travel day on the 17th if you have an ‘X days in Y months’ type of pass. 

But I believe the whole journey needs to fall within the validity of your pass, so your pass would need to be valid on the 16th. 

As @rvdborgt says, the app gets this wrong, and will make you use a travel day on the 16th. It would be good to get an official response from Eurail on what customers should do, and to publish this advice (about UK sleepers counting arrival day, and about non CET countries) on the page about sleepers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are 2 reasons why you should only need a travel day on the 17th:

1. Caledonian sleeper insists on having a travel day valid for the arrival day.
  2. The departure time is 23:11, which is 0:11 CET the next day. If you have a mobile pass, then the time in CET should be used to determine the travel day, according to the conditions of use.

However, the mobile app doesn't implement these things: it always books a night train on the day of departure and it always seems to use the local date and time.