Solved

How do I pay for the seat reservation fee after the tickets are added to my Eurail pass?

• 16 January 2023
  • 80 replies

Show first post

80 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm#Spain
Man in Seat 61 mentions using an agent to book seat reservations for Spain. 

https://community.eurail.com/members/malcolmak-1339

and MalcolmAK reports using the agent a couple of weeks ago. 

OMG the SEAT61 one post has so much information and so detailed! I’ve only up to Czech Republic, it seems to have the answers to all my questions haha. Thank you so much for sharing these two links, I appreciate it :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

There are two b-europe website; one for Thalys/Eurostar/TGV Belgium-France (which you already used) and a travel.b-europe website; for reservations for domestic French TGV services. The second leg (Paris-Nice) should be done via the latter in this link: https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish. There’s a book fee of 4 EUR per order (so booking more trains in one go, saves you some money), in contrast to the €2 booking fee of Eurail per train and per ticket.

You’ll need the pass cover generator as well:

Hi @BrendanDB , sorry for bothering you again.

Just now I tried to book seat reservation for Paris Gare de Lyon to Nice Ville on the link you sent me, in the seat preference options, if I want duo face-to face with a table, which option should I pick to get those seat with highest chance? I am worried if select “seats facing each other” then we would be allocated with two aisle seats of a club four 😥; would “seats around a table” be two seats face-to-face around a table or it would be possibly two seats in a club four around a table? I am so confused...😖

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I don't really know. Could be both. I think seats facing each other is the safest bet. Last time I selected "around a table" it was a club of four. 

oh I see, I’ll select “seats facing each other” then 😬 somehow I thought you knew everything about European trains haha 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks so much @Schelte :)

Foe the agent in Spain, do you have any to recommend? We haven’t had experience using agent for booking train tickets. My husband used to make reservation at the train station for the rest of his Spain trip while he arrived. I am a bit worried some seat reservations could be sold out if we book seats reservations for the rest of our Spain trip after we arrive to Barcelona. 

For the Paris - Barcelona I think I would book on the Eurail App :)

Our Morocco trip is a bit tricky, as I was trying to find some information of the easiest/fastest way to get to Tangier. I thought Tarifa would be the most convenient port to cross the Strait of Gibraltar, but I struggle to find a way to get to Tarifa from Seville. That’s when I found the Flixbus, however the tickets information of April hasn't appeared on the website yet. So I was still not very sure about how to get to Tangier from Seville.

I checked the timetable of the daily train from Madrid to Algeciras, it’s 15:05 - 20:32 each day, so therefore we won't be able to make it to the ferry but we don't really want to stay in Algeciras just for the night. We would prefer to stay in either Tangier or Seville for the night.

I just found a train from Madrid to Jerez at 7:05 - 10:51, it seems like a better way to get to Tangier if there is a bus from Jerez to Tarifa. So this way we can explore Seville on the way back instead of two half days before and after Morocco.

It would be highly appreciated if you know any information or alternatives to get to Morocco rather than the way we planned. I am really struggling to find reliable information online. 😬

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks so much @Schelte :)

Foe the agent in Spain, do you have any to recommend? We haven’t had experience using agent for booking train tickets. My husband used to make reservation at the train station for the rest of his Spain trip while he arrived. I am a bit worried some seat reservations could be sold out if we book seats reservations for the rest of our Spain trip after we arrive to Barcelona. 

I have never used an agent, I generally try to book the seat reservations myself to save extra fees. It is however quite a puzzle, and not always possible.

Seat61.com recommends one: “To make Spanish passholder reservations in advance, email andy@railtravelcentre.com, the same rail expert that runs www.discoverbyrail.com. He can arrange passholder reservations in Spain, if necessary even at short-notice.  His normal handling fee is £17.50, but he'll reduce this to £12.50 if you quote 'seat61' in your email.  One handling fee is charged 'per booking', where a booking can be more than one passenger reserved on more than one train.  Remember to tell him if your pass is 1st or 2nd class.” https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm#Spain I also know Bart from Triptailor.be offers these too, he charges a booking fee of € 5.45 per seat. There certainly are others that can also offer this.

For the Paris - Barcelona I think I would book on the Eurail App :)

Good idea, assuming you mean the Eurail website. The Rail Planner app unfortunately does not allow booking reservations (yet).

It would be highly appreciated if you know any information or alternatives to get to Morocco rather than the way we planned. I am really struggling to find reliable information online. 😬

Unfortunately I’ve never crossed that bit by ferry so I can’t really help you. Maybe someone else has experience with that? I do recall hearing from people that took those ferries that they can be quite delayed due to weather, so maybe your onward connections are too tight.

Thanks @Schelte :)

I will contact Andy as soon as we finalise our trip plan, thanks for recommending him to us :)

I think I will write a separate post asking about how to get to Morocco easily from Spain. Hopefully someone would know :)