Solved

How do I pay for the seat reservation fee after the tickets are added to my Eurail pass?

• 16 January 2023
  • 80 replies

Show first post

80 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I can already see that you need to amend your plan. There are no pass holder seats on the Eurostar from London to Amsterdam on the 7th of May. There are pass holder seats from London to Brussels on the 7th and from Brussels you can take the reservation free IC train to Amsterdam. 

There is a limited number of pass holder seats on the Eurostar and on popular departures and during high season those sell out weeks, and sometimes months in advance.

The best place to see the availability of passholder seats and make reservations on the Eurostar is 

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Press "later trains" and eventually you will find the next available connection. There is a fee of 4 EUR per booking so make all your Eurostar bookings at the same time.

If you have a mobile pass you need to generate a Pass Cover Number in order to make the reservation at b-europe. You do that here in the PCN generator:

https://community.eurail.com/news-and-announcements-39/pass-cover-number-generator-is-live-5653

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Another unexpected hint for OZzies whilst still down yundah-back or before Bourke:

do NOT make any RES early in YOUR day-as the system often translates the time to that still prevailing here in EUR=1 day earlier then. THis may also lead to birthdates in the data that are 1 day off.

The major risk by activating way too early is that unexpected/unhoped for actions may prevail-you may fall sick, there is yet another strike (quite frequent in some countries right now-fast rising prices) or some nature mishap on that line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@bleusquirrelDon’t worry, no stress needed you have a solid plan. The timetable can differ, but not that it will look completely different! It’ll mostly change a couple of minutes, sometimes half an hour. But the broad lines stay in place. It’s not that some connections will disappear completely ;)

And in case of off delays, cancellations and missed connections, also no stress needed. It happens a lot. If you have a seat reservations, it’s the company’s responsability to found another place for you on another train (only valid for trains with mandatory reservations, like in France or Spain or on Eurostar) or they announce the alternatives in the train.

And in 99% of the cases alternatives always exist should a connection fail. And you travel only between very well connected cities and places which are very well connected by train. Only the north of Scotland (Mallaig) sees fewer services.

Only strikes are a bit more annoying, and you should try to work yourself around that. But hopefully you’ll be spared from that.

Alternatives sometimes require an extra connection, or you have a similar connection just an hour later, or via a slower route. But you’ll always get to your destination. For a lot of trains with mandatory reservations, reservation free alternatives exist. Only Eurostar is difficult to avoid. Only for your Eurostar trips you need to check now, and get your seat reservations asap!  They can sell out, and no good alternatives exist. You might also want to get your reservations soon for the Paris-Barcelona too.

Most train companies are very flexible. Train missed? Then you take the next one a bit later. Some countries are a bit trickier, with rigid reservation rules and more limited timetables (like France and Spain). Other countries, like the UK, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic,... are super easy. You can basically take any train you want, without mandatory reservations.

You just might want to double check your times via the Deutsche Bahn planner, about a month before you leave.

You can use the Eurail pass for 95% of the trains in Europe, for a small percentage of the trains you need seat reservations. And usually that’s on the routes that overseas tourists are most interested in. :) It seems difficult at first, but once you got the hang of it, you will make good use of it. it’s a true pleasure that flexibilty.

And that condition for one country pass users, you can ignore. You have a global pass which is valid and most trains in Italy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I always book seat reservations via the national companies (when available). You avoid a booking fee, and most rail companies send some information in case of delays, cancellation, routes changes, which can be usefull.

Just take a bit of your time to read this community made reservations guide carefully. A lot of uncertainty and unclarity will clear up. You’ll also find the different companies listed up :)

Just book your Eurostar trains as soon as you can, and the Paris-Barcelona and your night trains (if already possible). 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks so much Brendan, I’ll read it now, really appreciate your help 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Looks like it worked! Or the IT support team fixed the issue, but I don’t know of any official confirmation of this.

Or the reservations were not booked via Eurail but elsewhere. The Eurail/Interrail websites are the only ones I know that have this problem...

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Eurostar is open to booking for the next 11 months. The TGV’s from SNCF usually opens bookings 3-4 months before departure. Sometimes less. Like now, they’re a bit late (https://www.sncf-connect.com/aide/l-ouverture-des-ventes. Just wait until January 25-26 and you’ll be able to reserve them.

P.S. Didn’t you want to leave from Barcelona to Paris according to your schedule posted above?

And this connection (Barcelona - Paris) is one of the only trains on your trip that is best done via the Eurail reservation service, since all other options involve calling to a number or booking it at the station itself according to the reservation guide :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oh no, it seems like I can’t fully trust the availabilities shown on the Eurail Planner APP.

The rail planner app cannot book any reservations, not does it show availability. It doesn't have any real time information and it is not updated frequently enough to be reliable. It should really only be used to register your journeys, not for any planning.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

do NOT make any RES early in YOUR day-as the system often translates the time to that still prevailing here in EUR=1 day earlier then. THis may also lead to birthdates in the data that are 1 day off.

This is only true for the Eurail website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

This is only true for the Eurail website.

oh no, does that mean when I book seat reservations I should change my time to Europe time first to make sure no mess ups?

Indeed :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

The hourly intercity does not allow seat reservations - simply board with the active pass and chose an empty seat. When boarding in Amsterdam there generally should be seats available, particularly in 1st class. 

The Thalys seat reservations on this bit cost €20 per person (+ booking fee), and allows you to reach Brussels in about 1h50 instead of 2h50 with the IC. However, the Thalys reservations are not very flexible: you can change them once free of charge (if there are still passholder seats available) and if you want to cancel them they're only 75% refundable. With the Intercity, you can simply take any train you want.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I don’t know either. The mysteries of the SNCF (French train operator) 😅. I just checked their information on the website, but it could be that it’s only valid for domestic TGVs.

Even experienced railers in Europe get a bit lost in all the different rules, systems and perks every now and then ;)

Guess international travel has a booking window that lies further in the future than the domestic TGV’s. I can see prices for ordinary tickets on the sncf app for your travel dates, so I guess you can try to reserve now then, I’m curious. Let us know if it works out :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

thanks so much for the info @Schelte I think I’d still try to reserve the seats as it’s a Sunday and also the day after the King’s coronation, so the trains could potentially be busier (my theory could be wrong 😬)

Not our king that is being coronated, I doubt that will have much effect on traffic between the Kingdom of Belgium and the Kingdom of The Netherlands. The IC does get a bit busier on weekend days, particularly between Antwerp and Rotterdam, but since you're boarding at the first stop (Bruxelles-Midi) you should nonetheless find a spot easily. 

However, I can also recommend the Thalys; it's one hour faster, stops a bit less often (thus also leaving less chance for baggage thieves, unfortunately quite common on the IC) and has a reserved seats for you. Whether that's worth €20 per person is a personal decision (hopefully assisted by our comments).

I travel fairly regular on both, so I have these doubts myself quite regularly (tbf then I'm not travelling with a pass, so the prices are slightly different too). 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm#Spain
Man in Seat 61 mentions using an agent to book seat reservations for Spain. 

https://community.eurail.com/members/malcolmak-1339

and MalcolmAK reports using the agent a couple of weeks ago. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm#Spain
Man in Seat 61 mentions using an agent to book seat reservations for Spain. 

https://community.eurail.com/members/malcolmak-1339

and MalcolmAK reports using the agent a couple of weeks ago. 

OMG the SEAT61 one post has so much information and so detailed! I’ve only up to Czech Republic, it seems to have the answers to all my questions haha. Thank you so much for sharing these two links, I appreciate it :)

Seat61 is indeed a great source of information!

I have some comments on some bits of your very nice itinerary, particularly on the Spanish bits.

Using an agent for reservations in Spain can indeed be useful, as they are otherwise hard to make (DB makes them but as far as I know only does them on physical tickets which need to be sent by post or collected from a German train station).

For the TGV's between Paris and Barcelona, SNCF can make them on the phone but it's probably best to indeed book them through the Eurail reservations portal (non-refundable €2 fee per ticket).

I see you've planned to take the Flixbus back and forth from Seville to Algeciras. Rail connections to Algeciras aren’t great, but there’s a daily direct train from Madrid that possibly doesn't appear yet in the railplanner app; possibly easier to spend the night in Algeciras on the way to Morocco (I wanted to suggest a night en route in Ronda on the way to Algeciras, but it looks as if the first train from Ronda doesn't allow reaching the 12:00 ferry to Tangier).

Travelling between Algeciras and Seville by train is difficult, and Seville is certainly worth a visit, so do take the Flixbus on the way back. As the buses seem to stop in Jerez, if you're interested in sherry you might want to get off there and continue onwards to Seville by train (reservation is compulsory)

The day trains between London and Scotland can be reserved for free, so ignore any site that tries to charge you.

Good luck with planning your trip!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I don't really know. Could be both. I think seats facing each other is the safest bet. Last time I selected "around a table" it was a club of four. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks so much @Schelte :)

Foe the agent in Spain, do you have any to recommend? We haven’t had experience using agent for booking train tickets. My husband used to make reservation at the train station for the rest of his Spain trip while he arrived. I am a bit worried some seat reservations could be sold out if we book seats reservations for the rest of our Spain trip after we arrive to Barcelona. 

I have never used an agent, I generally try to book the seat reservations myself to save extra fees. It is however quite a puzzle, and not always possible.

Seat61.com recommends one: “To make Spanish passholder reservations in advance, email andy@railtravelcentre.com, the same rail expert that runs www.discoverbyrail.com. He can arrange passholder reservations in Spain, if necessary even at short-notice.  His normal handling fee is £17.50, but he'll reduce this to £12.50 if you quote 'seat61' in your email.  One handling fee is charged 'per booking', where a booking can be more than one passenger reserved on more than one train.  Remember to tell him if your pass is 1st or 2nd class.” https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm#Spain I also know Bart from Triptailor.be offers these too, he charges a booking fee of € 5.45 per seat. There certainly are others that can also offer this.

For the Paris - Barcelona I think I would book on the Eurail App :)

Good idea, assuming you mean the Eurail website. The Rail Planner app unfortunately does not allow booking reservations (yet).

It would be highly appreciated if you know any information or alternatives to get to Morocco rather than the way we planned. I am really struggling to find reliable information online. 😬

Unfortunately I’ve never crossed that bit by ferry so I can’t really help you. Maybe someone else has experience with that? I do recall hearing from people that took those ferries that they can be quite delayed due to weather, so maybe your onward connections are too tight.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The hourly intercity does not allow seat reservations - simply board with the active pass and chose an empty seat. When boarding in Amsterdam there generally should be seats available, particularly in 1st class. 

The Thalys seat reservations on this bit cost €20 per person (+ booking fee), and allows you to reach Brussels in about 1h50 instead of 2h50 with the IC. However, the Thalys reservations are not very flexible: you can change them once free of charge (if there are still passholder seats available) and if you want to cancel them they're only 75% refundable. With the Intercity, you can simply take any train you want.

Hi @Schelte I have just booked seat reservations for Bruxelles Midi to Amsterdam on 7 May 13:22 for the Thalys train. On the tickets it shows carriage 032, however I couldn’t find carriage 032 on the seat map of Thalys train. Do you know if there is an actual coach number 032 or if the 032 stands for another carriage? I tried to change seats by putting in reference number and email address in on Thalys website but I didn't see the options of change seats :( Do you know if there's a way to change seat? Thank you in advance :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Oh no, it seems like I can’t fully trust the availabilities shown on the Eurail Planner APP.

The rail planner app cannot book any reservations, not does it show availability. It doesn't have any real time information and it is not updated frequently enough to be reliable. It should really only be used to register your journeys, not for any planning.

But can I still book Paris-Barcelona and return through Eurail website as @BrendanDB suggested?

Absolutely: https://www.eurail.com/en/book-reservations#/ (but only when the bookings are open, so from 25/01 CET.)

Hi @BrendanDB I just tried to book Paris - Barcelona on 21 April, the seat reservation is now open I could book the 1st class for 2 people, the cost is 74EUR. The Eurail.com didn't seem to have an option of seat selection, do you know if any other sites offer seat selection/seat preference? TIA :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Schelte I have just booked seat reservations for Bruxelles Midi to Amsterdam on 7 May 13:22 for the Thalys train. On the tickets it shows carriage 032, however I couldn’t find carriage 032 on the seat map of Thalys train. Do you know if there is an actual coach number 032 or if the 032 stands for another carriage? I tried to change seats by putting in reference number and email address in on Thalys website but I didn't see the options of change seats 😞 Do you know if there's a way to change seat? Thank you in advance :)

Carriage 32 is in terms of layout the same as carriage 12 (and 22), but is used as number to allow multiple units run coupled together - otherwise you'd have two carriages with the same number (in this case I think it doesn't happen, but that train originates in Marne-la-Vallée instead of in Paris Nord so they do it by default). As far as I know, it is not possible to change the seat selection on Thalys, once they have been assigned.

Is it also same as Coach 2? On the layout page from Thalys website, it only shows coach 1 to coach 8. If so I think seat 21 and 24 is the duo face to face with a table :)

Do all the TGV trains not support seat selection when booking seat reservations?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Indeed, no online reservation alternative for this connection.

I agree with @Schelte , and I’lld like to add that usually the lower floor is a bit quieter and more tranquil. There’s a bit less seats down. And the connections between the different cars (and also bar) is on the upper floor, so down you don’t get a lot of passage other than the passengers sitting there.

Thanks for the tips @BrendanDB and @Schelte :)

Is ringing SNCF the only way to be able to select a seat/seat preference?

If I book the seat reservation through Eurail.com, does that mean I would get random allocated seats from the booking without ringing them?

I also tried to figure out the quickest/safest way to get to Nice from Amsterdam, these two trains seem to have longer time to allow transfer between Paris Nord to Paris Gare De Lyon which is 1h10m, would it be safe to book this train or would it be too risky?

Flight from Amsterdam to Nice on that day would cost 168EUR per person which is a lot more expensive than taking the train. :(

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thalys uses different (single deck) train sets than the Paris-Barcelona.

Check here https://www.seat61.com/european-train-seating-plans.htm#France for France, TGV Duplex, Euroduplex 3rd generation I think.

It’s been a while since a booked a TGV seat with interrail for France. But I think that via 3rd party websites (like b-europe, or Eurail/Interrail), the seats are just randomly selected. But usually groups seats together.

But I wouldn’t worry much about your seats. First class is always relatively spacious, good location at the windows. And in the unlikely chance that you would accidentally be seated seperately, you can always ask fellow passengers to switch seats explaining the situation a bit. Happens quite often.

Do Thalys allow pass holders to book? I read a lot of articles on Seat 61, the recommended booking sites raileurope.com, thetrainline etc. are they all for non-pass holders? I couldnt find any options of add Eurail pass details.

If the TGV train seats can't be selected then the seat map is kind of useless, isn't it? unless booking via phone?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I generally try to avoid switching trains in Paris. An hour is a bit tight, not much buffer in case of delay. And taking the metro/RER in Paris with luggage can be a nuisance.

There’s also 7 connections a day from Brussels to Lyon, often extended to Marseille. Switching in Lyon or Marseille is more convenient as it happens in the same station.

This looks like a good option for you (avoiding seat reservations on Thalys too)

Thank you :)

I had a look at Brussels-Lyon-Marseille options, the train will still arrive in Marseille late of the day (after 5pm), we still prefer to go to Nice directly otherwise we wouldn't have plenty of time in either Marseille or Nice. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Indeed, no online reservation alternative for this connection.

I agree with @Schelte , and I’lld like to add that usually the lower floor is a bit quieter and more tranquil. There’s a bit less seats down. And the connections between the different cars (and also bar) is on the upper floor, so down you don’t get a lot of passage other than the passengers sitting there.

Thanks for the tips @BrendanDB and @Schelte :)

Is ringing SNCF the only way to be able to select a seat/seat preference?

If I book the seat reservation through Eurail.com, does that mean I would get random allocated seats from the booking without ringing them?

As I mentioned, they can't really chose either. I would simply book them through Eurail to avoid the hassle - there aren't really bad seats on that train, for instance as far as I know all have windows.

I also tried to figure out the quickest/safest way to get to Nice from Amsterdam, these two trains seem to have longer time to allow transfer between Paris Nord to Paris Gare De Lyon which is 1h10m, would it be safe to book this train or would it be too risky?

Flight from Amsterdam to Nice on that day would cost 168EUR per person which is a lot more expensive than taking the train. :(

That transfer is doable, with RER D running fairly frequently and taking just 10 minutes from station to station (add some time to get to the RER platforms & waiting time though, so it still is tight). You can also take an earlier journey to Paris to be sure, as there can always be some disruption (including on the RER).

The RER (Paris express suburban rail) is not covered by Interrail, but tickets can be bought in the Thalys bar (go as soon as you're leaving Amsterdam, they only have a limited number), on the app or if you're passing through Paris earlier.

Don't book the Thalys & TGV through Eurail, but separately through the two different b-europe pages (or on the phone with SNCF, if you call them for the Barcelona one).

I just realised there is an earlier Thalys train from Amsterdam to Paris when I looked up on b-europe.com. Somehow when I looked up trains from Amsterdam to Nice with transfer in Paris on Eurail.com it shows the 9:11am train was the earliest one.

The second segment from Paris Gare De Lyon isn't available on b-europe as there seems to be only Paris Nord on the website. Can I book the Paris Gare De Lyon to Nice Ville one on Eurail.com?

I think the booking on Eurail.com will be open around 13 Feb for the 13 May train.

If we take the 13:54 train in Paris Gare De Lyon, that would give us over 2 hours to transfer from Paris Nord. it seems like a less risky option despite it’s going to be a whole day sitting on the train. 😬

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks so much for telling me the travel-b-europe website, I didn't even know this website existed at all. 😬

I will book the second leg (Paris - Nice) on this website later on 🙂 Just tested with an early date and it didn't seem to allow seat selections either :(

I have already generated the pass cover number with a link @AnnaB shared last week 😊

It will be available from wednesday 25/01 normally, then SNCF opens up bookings until 31/05.

Thank you @BrendanDB :) I’ll try on Wednesday and I’ll make sure to set my laptop to CET time :)