Solved

Seat selection with Interrail Global Pass reservations

Show first post

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Perhaps I should just get the Paris to Turin train on 23 March sorted out first. Is it true that the only way to reserve the TGV seats is through Interrail? Thanks again.

Online, yes. But you can also call SNCF:

https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone

Press #85 for English, no booking fees (as opposed to the Interrail website), reservations are sent via e-mail.

Badge +5

I’d also have a contingency plan for travel to London if there are rail strikes. In the main Eurostar has operated to an amended timetable on strike days. 

Badge

Many thanks to you all. I’ll try phoning SNCF, but as it’s the weekend might have to wait until Monday. As for strikes, I’ll watch out for that. If it happens then we might have to go up the day before and find a cheap/ish hotel. Or pester some friends. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Also: some railways simply do not allow ANY of their pax-not even the honored payalittleextra 1st cl- to choose seats other as window/aisle or yes/no compartmt. Just as some airls deny that.

There are also sometimes hidden motves that even seewulf will not disclose-mostly have to do with protecting staff claims.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Many thanks to you all. I’ll try phoning SNCF, but as it’s the weekend might have to wait until Monday.

SNCF can be reached every day:

https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone

It seems early afternoon is a good time to call. Don't forget to press #85 for English; you can do that immediately when they start telling the options in French.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I am curious about the seat plan. I like to look out of the window. Some seats are just between the windows, so you see nothing (yet they are called windowseats!). Can you see the windows on the seat plan? Is there a website with all the seatplans (with windows!) of European trains?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I am curious about the seat plan. I like to look out of the window. Some seats are just between the windows, so you see nothing (yet they are called windowseats!). Can you see the windows on the seat plan? Is there a website with all the seatplans (with windows!) of European trains?

The dreaded "Wandfensterplätze". Brrrr. They should offer those seats with a discount, honestly. 

Deutsche bahn usually has a proper seating plan of their trains if you dig a bit deeper on the website. Or if you google something like "sitzplan ICE 3" or something. But then you already need to know which kind a train is running on your route.

For the UK this is usually found easily as well, often via the man in seat 61 though.

But for the rest of Europe, no idea. Curious if someone can enlighten us about this. 

I use the website of vagonweb.cz and use the pictures to identify my prefered seats :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Good point. The Paris to Milan seat plan doesn’t show the windows. I’d forgotten about that and, as you say, you can end up with just a bit of window. I should have asked about that. As for seat plans, the seat61.com website is really helpful — about lots of things. Go to the Train seat numbering plans page.

In Case of Italy i recommend to reserve guranteed trains :) Italy is famous for strikes :/ But Trenitalia have a list of guranteed trains that even runs on strike days https://www.trenitalia.com/it/informazioni/treni_garantiti_incasodisciopero.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

LNER in UK allows you to change your seat online for no cost (Lon East Coast line Lon - York, Leeds, Darlington, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Aberdeen).

https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/make-a-reservation/

Badge

Seewolf wrote:

In Case of Italy i recommend to reserve guranteed trains 🙂 Italy is famous for strikes 😕 But Trenitalia have a list of guranteed trains that even runs on strike days

Thanks. How do I find this list of guaranteed trains, it sounds really useful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Seewolf wrote:

In Case of Italy i recommend to reserve guranteed trains 🙂 Italy is famous for strikes 😕 But Trenitalia have a list of guranteed trains that even runs on strike days

Thanks. How do I find this list of guaranteed trains, it sounds really useful.

The link is posted above in my comment