Skip to main content
Solved

Portugal Station Gates

• 13 May 2024
  • 3 replies

I am traveling in Portugal and cannot bypass the station gates. What can I do? It seems they use a chip detector for local travel cards. Is there anyway to use my Eurail pass to get through the gates and access the train platforms?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Unfortunately Interrail/Eurail passes don't work on most ticket barriers (notably in the UK or in Portugal). I'm sure developpers wish to improve that in the future.

If you have a reservation for a train that might open the gate. Otherwise you'll have to seek staff (which should be around).

That’s very unfortunate because now I’m not sure what I have paid for…😅 seems like a waste of money. On that note, any advice on the refund eligibility lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That doesn't mean that your pass isn't valid of course! Speak to staff and they'll happily open the gates.

Also note that gates are relatively rare across Europe (fortunately!).

Interrail/Eurail passes are valid on trains of the participating companies aka the large majority of European trains. Sometimes you need to add a seat reservation, please follow the helpful guide here: https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Side note 1: Eurail isn't great value in Spain and Portugal as pretty much any train requires a reservation so you don't get the usual flexibility. It can still save you money as last-minute regular tickets are pretty expensive.

Side note 2: passes are 85% refundable but you shouldn't need to do that! Feel free to ask questions and we'll gladly answer.