Solved

reservations w eurail pass. how to check without buying / considering buying

Show first post

65 replies

your love for trains comes across so beautifully !  thank you !!!!!

i wondered if i could hand over my account to someone and come back to it w an itinerary. 

one slip up (by me)  from these great itinerary's could mean a slightly tough outcome.  

: ))

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No this is not the Bernina Railway. The above route starts in Turin (Torino) to France.

If you’d like to take the Bernina Railway (which is absolutely stunning !), here is an itinerary :

• Basel/Bern 2 nights
  • Basel/Bern - Zurich - Chur for the most direct option or via Lucerne - Pfäffikon SZ for the most scenic option
  • Chur 1 night
  • Chur - Tirano direct Bernina Express (but on the first reservation-free coaches) or using regional trains via St. Moritz
  • Tirano - Milan hourly regional train
  • Milan or Turin 2 nights
  • Milan/Turin - Ventimiglia - Nice (either fast route or the scenic option via Cuneo)
  • Nice (or Cannes, Antibes, Grasse) 1 night
  • Nice - Marseille - Nîmes - Barcelona fast route (37€ seat reservations) OR Nice - Marseille - Avignon
  • Avignon 1 night
  • Avignon - Portbou - Barcelona

The number of nights could vary whether you go to Berlin or not

What do you mean by planning for others ? This is not my job, I simply love trains and I quite like helping others :)

also do you do planning for others ?

is that Bernina ?  I am lost on where that route is starting. Is it in Milan?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Avignon - Marseille would be an extra 1h20-1h30 : 1-2 trains per hour.

If you were to stay in Marseille or along the French Riviera, I’d take this extremely scenic journey through the Alps (you don’t have to pay any seat reservations) :

• Torino Porta Nuova - Cuneo 13:25 - 14:36
  • Cuneo - Ventimiglia 14:41 - 17:21
  • Ventimglia - Nice 17:46 - 18:40, Cannes 19:23 or Grasse 19:53

The next day go to Marseille and/or Avignon

For planning I use a mix of bahn.de, Google Maps (and my knowledge a bit too).

wow.  is the travel longer / harder to do marseille?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You are going to Mallorca afterwards ? There are multiple ferrys from Barcelona, most overnight. I don’t think you get a discount with the pass.

I’d say your itinerary depends on how many pass days you did buy.

• 12th May : long travel day Amsterdam Centraal - Berlin Gesundbrunnen 07:00 - 13:41 / 09:10 - 15:31 / 11:00 - 17:31 (doesn’t stop at the central station that day) 3€ seat reservation => recommended
  • Berlin 12th - 16th May (3 full days which is perfect to me)
  • long travel day Berlin Hbf - Basel SBB (or Bern) on 16th May before the rush : 07:26 - 14:55 (every 2 hours) 3€ seat reservation =>  recommended
  • 2-3 nights in Basel or Bern (1h by train between the two). For 3 nights a day trip to Lake Thun and Brienz → boat rides included in Eurail
  • 18th May (or better on 19th) : Bern - Milan - Turin about 5h30 11€ + 10€ seat reservations OR only 10€ by changing in Domodossola
  • Turin 2 nights
  • 20th May : Turin - Chambéry 07:36 - 10:15 30€ seat reservation (unfortunately...), I’d buy this one ASAP. Then Chambéry - Valence - Avignon Centre 11:22 - 14:49 (reservation-free)
  • Avignon 1-2 nights
  • Avignon - Portbou - Barcelona 08:33 - 15:40 / 11:32 - 18:40

Or skip Berlin and travel via the French Riviera (Nice) from Turin instead

Let me know

separately Mallorca via ferry w Railpass ? 

we are so torn on Berlin. 

itinerary 1.   amsterdam leave 12th to Berlin until 16th.   be in Barcelona by 22 (flexible)

itinerary 2.   amsterdam leave 12th.  forget Berlin.  be in Barcelona by (flexible)

#2 would want maybe Turin (maybe not Milan)  and maybe Basel. 

# 1 no need for any more Germany if do Berlin. 

just dont want to over travel and not relax.  already doing paris 4, brussels 2, amsterdam 3.days. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

To answer your questions :

Usually it’s no problem to show your reservation on the phone. Only for night trains it is advised to print them as they take it from you and give it back you the next morning at your destinatiom

Great news for the Barcelona - Paris TGV ! I just had a look and wow… 222€ one-way…

For the Amsterdam - Spain journey : how many days do you have on hand ? This is an important piece of info. Berlin is quite out of the way so it could be skipped (but I agree that it’s a great city).

You can also enter Spain via the Atlantic side but it is a lot longer and completely out of your way. To see a different route into Spain : as you’ll already take the high-speed railway on your way to Paris, take the coastal route via Portbou.

• Avignon Centre - Portbou 09:31 - 13:47
  • Portbou - Barcelona-Sants 14:35 - 17:10

If you let me know how many days you have, I’ll suggest stops along the way

do i really have to print reservations ? 

Print-at-home tickets

• Most reservation tickets are only valid when they are printed on paper and can often not be shown on a mobile device. Please read the conditions of use on the ticket when you receive it.

im so sorry. i had to click the tiny button  USD  us dollars. 

to make it selectable. 

finally bought pass !

cant buy a seat reservation for either 1033 or 1432   barcelona city to paris france  on monday may 29.  maybe try another site besides eurail ?

re Travel date. I am open. to when to go Barcelona.  yall had mentioned the weekend of 17-21 is holiday…..

thank you !  

my full route after amsterdam is either : over to Berlin

then Basel / Bern,   then some route to Barcelona via Italy or France. 

the number of hours traveling scares me. 

but a bit more frustrating is going to Almansa to see friends, and having to go back through Barcelona. to get to Paris.  got any ideas??

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah don't go to Paris if you can for this journey... you'll already take the exact railway a bit later

The fastest itinerary is via Geneva and Lyon yes. There used to be a direct train between Lyon and Barcelona (it should come back this summer...) but for now you have to change in Montpellier.

On the other hand you can go via Milan and Ventimiglia to Nice and the French Riviera in a day. You are able to stop in Genoa for a few hours if you wish. As an example : Basel 06:28/Bern 07:34 - easy connections in Milan and Ventimiglia - Nice 16:11. 11€ + 3€

You stop for a night in Nice, Cannes, Antibes,... The next day (or 2) French Riviera - Marseille - Montpellier and either direct TGV (27€) or via Portbou (10€ or reservation-free) to Barcelona. As an example : Nice 06:25 - Marseille - Narbonne (10€) - Portbou - Barcelona 17:04

Or : 13:25 Nice - Marseille - Nîmes-Pont du Gard - Barcelona 21:25 = 27€ 

08:25 Nice - Marseille - Nîmes - Barcelona 16:34 = 27 + 10€

As before the TGV to Barcelona (27€) would need to be booked early, what is your travel date ?

hi folks ! 

if i wanted to go from basel  / bern to Barcelona.  

i see through Lyon to marseille to Barcelona.  or to paris then down.   any other way ?

i was originally trying to do genoa or nice to barcelona but it’s a little long. yeah ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

and where can i reserve seats without a pass ?     for the Barcelona to Paris, it does not show on the B-europe site.

Without a pass, you can book by phone Paris-Barcelona via a number of railways, see this post:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Barcelona - Paris and Milan - Chambéry are exceptions. You need to have bought a pass first (no need to activate it though) and book on eurail.com. You could also call SNCF tomorrow morning to book them (but they somehow don't accept all foreign credit cards)

For other legs see :

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

- tickets.oebb.at for Germany, Italy + the cross-border EC Switzerland - Italy

- bahn.de for Germany

- the b-europe link you have for Lyon - Montpellier/Narbonne/Perpignan on your way to Barcelona

and where can i reserve seats without a pass ?     for the Barcelona to Paris, it does not show on the B-europe site.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

the as long as seats are available view = reservations are available. .  

is that for this Barcelona to Paris only train ? 

For most trains this applies except Eurostar, Thalys and TGV to Belgium, those have quotas. On the other hand regular tickets can sell out on popular routes so at that point no seats will be available.

i thought seat 61 mentioned once the airline “like” pricing of high speed trains reaches a certain purchase price of above 130 euros, then passes are no longer accepted.  or around that number.  ?

There are quotas for certain trains (see above) but it is not the majority of trains. The Barcelona - Paris TGV used to have a quota but doesn't anymore (which is great news)

also after i punch in may pass number to buy reservation, am i  yellow slider activating the barcelona to paris journey. or does it just sit there in my trip.    

Seat reservations and app are separate. For any train you activate the yellow slider before boarding.

what does sliding that slider (which i cant see, but saw on 4 videos) actually do ? 

You'll get a QR-Code which is your ticket to show to ticket inspectors.

and where is the pass activation ? 

and going to repost.  will delete previous post. 

the as long as seats are available view = reservations are available. .  

is that for this Barcelona to Paris only train ? 

i thought seat 61 mentioned once the airline “like” pricing of high speed trains reaches a certain purchase price of above 130 euros, then passes are no longer accepted.  or around that number.  ?

also after i punch in may pass number to buy reservation, am i  yellow slider activating the barcelona to paris journey. or does it just sit there in my trip.    

what does sliding that slider (which i cant see, but saw on 4 videos) actually do ? 

and where is the pass activation ? 

but yes i think i got this key piece of information wrong.  as long as one can buy seats, then there is seat reservations available. ?   second class question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Btw if you're planning to travel on or around a holiday weekend (17-21st May and 27-29th May), I'd buy seat reservations in advance because a lot of people will be travelling

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can check on sncf-connect.com for regular tickets + I'm able to check on interrail.eu because I've bought a pass (but for a whole other trip)

Interrail and Eurail are exactly the same. If one can buy seats, the other can too

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes as long as regular tickets are sold for your class (1st or 2nd) seat reservations are available + I checked on interrail.eu (same as eurail.com)

You do not need to activate the pass, only create an account on eurail.com and add the pass (but no need to set a starting date)

Just want to add that the advice in the first paragraph does not work for Eurostar, Thalys and TGVs to Belgium -> those have quotas