Solved

planning a trip

Show first post

156 replies

Badge +2

Thanks, on what website did you find it? There is no other much shorter option?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1. There should be a night train from Hamburg to Munich, but I don’t see it in the timetable at the moment. Maybe somebody else knows
  2. It depends on the trains. If you’re travelling at busy times, like Friday evening. Or on busy routes, like Berlin-Prague, then reservations are a good idea. Especially as you are a relatively large group
  3. Try Ljubljana - Trieste, Trieste - Verona, to help searches
  4. I highly recommend the Bernina Express! You probably need to get from Verona to Milan, then Milan to Tirano. There is currently a bus replacement for part of the trip from Milan to Tirano, but it’s worth the hassle. The Bernina Express departs from Tirano.
  5. Yes, definitely direct trains on this route, without going via Zurich. For example train 903 departing 1105
  6. Yes, you can take normal trains along the route with no reservation. It’s only the panorama cars that need reservation, and I found the normal trains very good quality - often with big windows anyway.
  7. Geneva to Zurich has very regular intercity trains taking about 2h40. No reservations needed. I would have a look for night trains from both Zurich and Basel, and see which suits your itinerary.

The best site for checking train times is www.bahn.de - If a journey is long, or doesn't show any good results, be sure to break it down and check smaller sections of the journey.

Seat61 is really helpful for the Bernina Pass trip (and helpful for everything!) https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/bernina-express.htm

Hi, we are a family of 4 adults and one child 6 years old. We just bought passes for 10 days within 2 months. I was trying to find some journeys using the planner, but unfortunately i wasn't very successful. So i have following questions

1. On the 5 July late on the day or on the 6 july very early i wanted to find a connection from Vejle/Kolding in dk to Munich in de with a night express and with sleeping department, so that we would be in munich in the morning on the 6 july. i couldn't find any.

2. Generally when traveling in July during a weekdays is it always worth to make reservations also for trains which don't require one?

3. Monday, the 10 July from Ljubljana in sv to Verona in it in the morning i could find any train connections, only with some flexbus. How to find one?

4. On the 12 July from Verona to Chur in ch in the morning i only found a connection through Zurych but we wanted to take to tirano to take Bernina express or regular train on the route from there to chur. How to do it?

5. On the 14 July we wanted to take the glacier express from Chur to Zermatt, but we only found a train going through Zurych. 

6. On both the glacier express and Bernina express can we take with our passes regular train instead of this with the special names, but traveling the same route? If yes, how to find them? And do we need reservations for the regular trains?

7. On the 18 July in the morning we wanted to take a train from Geneva to Zurych, then make a stopover in Zurych for few hours and then some night train back to dk. Any suggestions how to plan this part of our trip?

Kind regards viking

[1]

To get on the train to München, you'd need to leave Vejle at 16.24 or Kolding at 16.58 and change at Hamburg Hbf; arrives München Hbf 7.09. There's no other covenient train connection if you'd like to get a sleeper. 

[2]

It depends on class, train and country. You didn't mention both. But to get five places together isn't that easy. So it's up to you if it's worth the money. 

[3]

First connection is at 5.47, another good one late at 14.21, change at Trieste Centrale. Other connections in between via Trieste do require more changes. It's also possible to go via Villach (maybe the more interesting route). Timetables for Italy aren't comfirmed completely yet, so that's why you won't find good connections; you'll just have to wait. Search for a date in nearer future to get an idea.

[4]

Same problem here. But it will be possible to go Verona - Milano - Tirano - Chur.

[5]

Glacier Express leaves Chur 11.05 / 12.14 / 14.26, arrives Zermatt 17.10 / 18.10 / 20.10. Search for direct connections.

[6]

Of course this is possible and saves a lot of money. First part: Chur to Disentis. Second part: Disentis to Andermatt. Third part: Andermatt to Brig or Visp. Fourth part: Brig or Visp to Zermatt. No reservation required. 

[6a]

Not asked, but if you want to do a great trip through the swiss mountains I'd recommend to skip Chur for Andermatt. With today's timetable, it would be possible to leave Verona at 8.32, go via Berninapass and Oberalppass and arrive Andermatt at 19.22. If you stay there, this would give the possibility to leave Andermatt at 8.37 (if it's July 14th) and take the train via Furkapass (once the highlight of the Glacier Express, now skipped by regular trains) for Zermatt (arrives 14.14).

[7]

Geneva to Zürich runs very frequently (two trains per hour). The night train going north from Zürich is just confirmed to run to Hannover (may change).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

1. There would be a Nightjet leaving Hamburg Hbf to Passau at 20:24.

- IC Vejle - Hamburg Hbf 16:24 - 20:02

- NJ Hamburg Hbf - Passau 20:24 - 06:24

- RE Passau Hbf - München Hbf 06:46 - 08:56

There's indeed no direct night trains from Hamburg. There are ICE trains running through the night but they have regular seats only.

If you want to take this night train, book it asap.

Another option would be to take Zurich's night train and leave it in Karlsruhe at 06:02. As it leaves Hamburg Hbf at 22:07 you'll get less sleep. This option would get you in Munich between 10:00 and 11:00.

Edit : Zurich-bound night train is already full. Vienna-bound night train which you'd leave in Passau has couchettes for 176€ (private) or for 136€ (with 2 other people). I'd buy all the night trains ASAP. There's not enough couchettes at all to meet the demand all over Europe as you can see.

2. On busy mainlines it is recommended. In Switzerland I do not usually recommend it because it is rare to find a full train and people won't care about your reservations because it is so unusual to make one (unless you're a class or a big group).

3. There is a connection leaving Ljubljana at around 7:00. You can check the current timetables and they shouldn't change a lot this summer.

4. There will be engineering works between Sondrio and Tirano between June and September. No trains will be running but there will be replacement buses. Just allow an extra bit of time. The Bernina Line is a must but it is not necessary to pay extra for the big windows. You can either take the hourly regional trains with some open-air coaches in the summer (check on SBB app), or the first coaches of the Bernina Express with windows that can be opened (reservation-free) !

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Keep in mind that Italian timetables are still far from complete for the summer timetable starting on 11 June. To get an idea of the possibilities, search for timetables on the same day of the week but before 11 June.

As to the Glacier Express, you won't always find it if you just ask for Chur to Zermatt because it is not the fastest connection. Force the journey to go via Andermatt.

Also don't use the rail planner app or the Interrail website to plan because they're not reliable and often out of date. Use national planners/websites and for international planning, the DB website is a good choice. For Switzerland use www.sbb.ch (also quite good for international timetables) for Italy www.trenitalia.com.

Badge