Solved

reservations w eurail pass. how to check without buying / considering buying

Show first post

65 replies

thank you for such lovely and thorough and specific answer(s)

i was (so extremely frustratingly) juggling where to fly to and fly depart from (from ny)  and London was looking most affordable.  After your reply, Paris popped up as affordable for early May, w direct flight. 

So, due to lack of trains to London, We are now considering (unfortunately) skipping it.   I hope to buy a eurail pass tonight.  and i am looking forward to a view of actual available trains on there.  Wicked tip on b-europe booking fee per order being cheaper !!!

does that booking reservation from b-europe magically update on Eurail app once “booked”  ? 

After i buy the Eurailpass  is there a too Easy button to Mistakenly hit and “start” the pass “accidentally” ?

also.  wicked tip for Lille !!!!    if i were using an particular app (which one?)  would other “tips” arise,  ie.  Berlin to Bern,  might suggest a city in between where a TGV ran more frequently or something of that nature ?   or maybe this forum is best to ask such question ? 

i want to say thank you much for the replies !

also say i watched “getting ready to board train”

https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started

spent an hour on: https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

i have installed water pump and head gasket and distrubutor in my volvo. 

replaced hard drive and ram in computer. 

i am a licensed drone operator. 

i can NOT wrap my head around when and how to do things. 

i guess buying a eurail pass and adding it to “rail planner”  will shed some light. 

of course it is even more complicated w Flexi pass. 

does the reservation hold the seat or am i buying a ticket on rail planner. 

how and why is there a disconnect ?   just give up on me, i will keep trying. 

cheers !

ok.  if anybody still there.   im looking at May 6th.  my options for a train to amsterdam. 

trainline.com says the 3 hr trains are fully booked.   that means if i were to buy a rail pass flexi.  there is No way there will be a reservation ?  and maybe i shouldn't buy a rail pass. 

if i try again for amsterdam to berlin.  and there's nothing remotely fast. then again.  maybe it is bus only for me ?    

how and why would i have to buy a pass to know if the reservations are full. ?  and it looked like railplanner would allow me to buy the seat reservation, but now i see a link to eurail ?  

bahn.de is cool but not giving tons of options. 

maybe google maps  gives the options ?  “oh amsterdam is fully booked.  take this local train to Lille and then hall ass to amsterdam.  where is that automated advice ? 

so frustrated folks.  im too late to go where trains run all the time and are plentiful ?

thank you so much !!!

“”Your itinerary is fine but I expect Marseille - Barcelona to be impossible on the high-speed train on 18th May (but along the coast should be doable””. 

12th .amsterdam to munich  2 days

14th munich to basel  2 days

16th basel to Marseille  2 days 

18th Marseille to barcelona 

for marseille to barcelona.

what’s alternative ?  high speed alternatives ? 18+ hours ?

this holiday weekend is scary !  

i think i might just go amsterdam to barcelona.  it makes me so sad to say.  

but.  

can i guarantee i’ll make the Nimes to Barc Sants. 

no. 

can i afford 27 extra to lose.  

no. 

after starting amsterdam  above itinerary 

8,5,6 hours    do i want another 9 hr trip IF 

i can’t get a marseille to Barc ?  

no  that’s 8,5,6, and Then 8-10hrs !!

please help   too much train !!?

can't do it.  no reservations. for above. 

NOW 

looking at Bern for 3 nights. 

SAYS RESERVATIONS RECOMENDED . 

IF I BOOKING HOTEL IN BERN. should i reserve these seats ? 

leaving may 12 friday. at 11pm to frankfurt to bern. 

12:08

AMSTERDAM CENTRAAL (Netherlands)

4h 23m

ICE 155

ICE

Show facilities

You're ready to boardPrint at home

This is a popular train. Seat reservations are recommended but not required.

Hide prices

2nd class — Seat 2nd class

USD $17.92

2 travellers

More informationShow all stops16:31

FRANKFURT(MAIN)HBF (Germany)

0h 19mChange trains

16:50

FRANKFURT(MAIN)HBF (Germany)

4h 6m

ICE 373

ICE

Show facilities

You're ready to boardPrint at home

You can buy a seat reservation if you like but it's not required.

Hide prices

2nd class — Seat 2nd class

USD $17.92

2 travellers

More inform

anybody  ?  reservation once set to Paris or dont get one or  ?   36$  on reservation recommened

thank you !!!!!!!

hi Folks !

in Nice fr. 

was trying to get Barcelona from Nice.  tuesday. may 23rd.  sold out on Nimes to Barcelona.  any ideas ?    (paris to lillie to brussels was brilliant. thank you for that !!) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes there are reservation-free options too. You can filter trains on bahn.com

Here is a fully reservation-free option :

• TER Nice-Ville - Marseille-St-Charles 08:25 - 11:07
  • TER Marseille-St-Charles - Montpellier-St-Roch 12:22 - 14:27
  • TER Montpellier-St-Roch - Portbou 14:52 - 17:47
  • R Portbou - Barcelona-Sants 19:05 - 21:40 (21:34 city center)

It is a long journey as there are no high-speed railways (except Perpignan - Barcelona)

However the TGVs are not sold out (except the 12:49 TGV from Nîmes). I’d recommend to take this route (even if it costs 27€), otherwise it’ll be very long and exhausting (still doable though) :

• TER Nice-Ville - Marseille-St-Charles 13:25 - 16:03
  • TER Marseille-St-Charles - Nîmes Pont du Gard 16:23 - 17:35
  • TGV Nîmes Pont du Gard - Barcelona Sants 17:48 - 21:25 27€

You could also leave Nice earlier and stop along the way.

thank you for looking, it means a lot, the TGV is not available both on you eurail  neither or by calling, so I believe it is sold out, or else I will take it, do you have any way to check it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The early afternoon TGV is indeed sold out (until Perpignan) but there are lots of available seats on the evening one so that’s truly weird, I’m not able to book it either…

However on interrail.eu (should be exactly the same on eurail.com) I’m able to book seats from Montpellier Sud de France (the next stop), departure 18:17 ! (or even from the previous stop, Valence TGV). Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is a relatively new station… (still strange though).

I’d call SNCF tomorrow again or as you’re surely in France right now you could go to a SNCF ticket counter (they sell them)

thank you, RE, Montpellier Sud de France 

if I booked that and did not have the seat reservation for the first stop, could you see a conductor telling us we could not board the train?, I would assume they easily could tell us not to board the train, but maybe it would be easy enough to stay near the open doors for one stop, what do you think?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Good question… I don’t think it’d be a problem as the train isn’t full but then there might be gates at Nîmes Pont du Gard (often they’re open anyway). Maybe someone else know the station ?

cool.  maybe rail pass opens the gates or only seat reservation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I assume only the seat reservation but I’m not 100% certain.

I guess you better call again SNCF tomorrow or go to Nice railway station

folks this is too much

according to seat 61.  i cannot make a reservation online if  want a highspeed going from Barcelona to Paris ? 

i would have to go to Spain train station ?    i am considering buying a 7 day flex  but no way of know if i can take a train on May 30th from Barcelona to Paris. 

those prices are above 230.  so i assume it is all booked out ? 

also considering trains from berlin to Bern    to  Milan to Lyon to Barcelona to Valencia to (local) to Valencia to Barcelona to Paris.   

i have literally no way of know if i can get trains ?   i have the buy the pass worry about not activating it?  use the yellow slider ?  or not  ?  ( i watched 4 20 minute videos and reservations are ridiculously screwed on some these, and if connecting train leaves because you are delayed you lose reservation)

so confused.  should i buy this pass ?  w refund ?  try and make reservations ?    Barcelona to Paris would be a reason to but i think i cant determine if it is available or not. the reservation. 

wow. so you can see reservations are available ?   i can buy the barelona to paris reservation on Eurail.com ?

and do so without activating the pass ?

*seperately, only you can see  ??  if the reservations are available ? and interrail and europass are interchangeable for reservations  ?  i would be buying from usa euro  not inter .

(thank you!)

but yes i think i got this key piece of information wrong.  as long as one can buy seats, then there is seat reservations available. ?   second class question.

and going to repost.  will delete previous post. 

the as long as seats are available view = reservations are available. .  

is that for this Barcelona to Paris only train ? 

i thought seat 61 mentioned once the airline “like” pricing of high speed trains reaches a certain purchase price of above 130 euros, then passes are no longer accepted.  or around that number.  ?

also after i punch in may pass number to buy reservation, am i  yellow slider activating the barcelona to paris journey. or does it just sit there in my trip.    

what does sliding that slider (which i cant see, but saw on 4 videos) actually do ? 

and where is the pass activation ? 

and where can i reserve seats without a pass ?     for the Barcelona to Paris, it does not show on the B-europe site.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Barcelona - Paris and Milan - Chambéry are exceptions. You need to have bought a pass first (no need to activate it though) and book on eurail.com. You could also call SNCF tomorrow morning to book them (but they somehow don't accept all foreign credit cards)

For other legs see :

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

- tickets.oebb.at for Germany, Italy + the cross-border EC Switzerland - Italy

- bahn.de for Germany

- the b-europe link you have for Lyon - Montpellier/Narbonne/Perpignan on your way to Barcelona