Solved

planning a trip

Show first post

156 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You need to click on each train separately. However I agree that it is not that straightforward through the website. Here 2 examples from DB App :

Munich - Ljubljana has no dining car. However this one is an exception : carriages are added for part of the journey going to Klagenfurt (until Villach at 16:43). Within those there is a dining car which you can easily access (not shown on DB).

Berlin - Munich ICEs do.

You can also check the train's composition on vagonweb.cz using the train number. It is reliable

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Structurally they are 2 different cable cars, but you can buy a ticket for the whole lot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

One more question. Is tgv like from Geneva to Paris included in the interrail pass? 

It is, but you need a reservation.

Can I buy it on sbb? How much is it? 

Check this post on where you can book:

Price is €29 in 2nd and €39 in 1st class. Also see that post for ways to make it cheaper.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No seat reservations are not possible but they do not run very often.

A middle ground to save money : take the TGV within France so from Bellegarde, Mulhouse or Strasbourg -> limited 10€ fare, then 20€.

Badge +2

I did that, i keep forgetting about the delay with Italian timetable.

I found a few, but on the details it says that there is like a gap between nova Gorica and Gorizia centale and it says .. weiter mit bus oder taxi.,..i know what it means in German but what it means for our trip?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There's indeed a bus (line 1) from Nova Gorica to Gorizia Centrale. It is not included but it's inexpensive (€1.35 last year) and there's a ticket machine at the Via Caprin/Transalpina bus stop right in front of Nova Gorica station. Timetable here (click on "Mappa e orari Linea 1”). The bus station next to Gorizia Centrale railway station is called "Centro Intermodale Passeggeri”. The bus ride takes about 10 minutes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Here are the best connections (look for May as advised) :

(might be the best connection if that fits your schedule)

- Ljubljana - Trieste Centrale 14:21 - 17:16

- Trieste Centrale - Venezia Mestre 18:16 - 20:09

- Venezia Mestre - Verona Porta Nuova 20:23 - 21:38

No guarantee to get 1st class seats on the last 2 legs but should be plenty of seats.

OR (early start)

- Ljubljana - Trieste Centrale 05:47 - 08:33

- Trieste Centrale - Venezia Mestre 09:16 - 11:09

- Venezia Mestre - Verona Porta Nuova 11:23 - 12:38

No guarantee to get 1st class seats but you can always sit in 2nd class.

OR (longer and more connections but a scenic and interesting journey for sure)

- Ljubljana 09:23 - Villach Hbf (free seat reservation, 38 min connection) - Lienz in Osttirol - Fortezza/Franzensfeste (36 min) - Verona 18:58 (free seat reservation too)

OR via Gorizia as you've seen before

- Ljubljana 10:00 - Jesenice 11:07

- Jesenice 11:15 - Nova Gorica 13:04

- bus transfer 13:22 - 13:32

- Gorizia Centrale 14:24 - Venezia Mestre 16:46

- Venezia Mestre 17:00 - 18:00 (10€)

No 1st class until Venezia Mestre.

This might be too tight (don't know) :

- Gorizia Centrale 13:43 - Venezia Mestre 15:46

- Venezia Mestre 16:00 - Verona 17:00 (10€)

Badge +2

thank you all for your help

Badge +2

Hi again,

we start our trip next week, so I am assuming all the summer timetable are finished.

I started to add trips to the app.

E.g. on the 8th of July we have booked seats on the 8.16 am train from Munchen to Ljubljana, but the app shows many connections on this day except the one we have booked. I got an email for oebb yesterday, that the train will start from Munchen Ost and not Haupbahnhof. Munchen ost exist not in the app.

How to add trip like this to the app?

Userlevel 2

Did you try to enter it as “Muenchen Ost”? Although I can not find a train leaving Munich at 8:16am to Ljubljana. Which train number it has?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can always add a journey manually but this one can be found on Rail Planner. The app is only very picky about which names it accepts… try Muenchen Ost

Badge +2

You can always add a journey manually but this one can be found on Rail Planner. The app is only very picky about which names it accepts… try Muenchen Ost

Hi, I tried with Muenchen Ost ( app recognised that station ) but still no connection, see screenshot

So how to add it manualy?

Badge +2

Hi, does the glaciers express have regular wagons for interrail passes, altao like without the extra payment for the reservation? Cheers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No it doesn't. But there are the hourly regional trains with straight-forward connections :)

Badge +2

To be sure, it's not like bernina with the extra reservation free wagon?

Which would be the best connection on Friday and not missing any part of glacier Express route 

Badge +2

Do you reckon that's is a train like every hour from Verona to Milan and then to sondrio? And what website did u use to find this connection?

I checked again the night jet to Passau and today the option for 176 was not available, so i called oebb and they told me ,that if we want to be in the same couppette so the 349 was the only option.

They told me ,  that on 18th of July the nightjets goes only to Hannover because of some trainline working, so that why i couldn't find any seat at all.

I Will try later with Hanover.

I tried to book seat for the train from Munich to Ljubljana on the 8 th of July, but i could only book in the 2nd class, there was no option to book in first class. Doest it mean that all seats in first was sold out? I tried on oebb.at

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes I told you about the Nightjet to Hannover.

There is at least an hourly connection between Verona - Milano - Sondrio. I used sbb.ch but bahn.de will give you the same infos.

Trenitalia.com will have the bus schedule too but not available yet

I'm able to book free seat reservations (it's free in 1st class) between Munich and Ljubljana on tickets.oebb.at. It gives you a price of 0€, you click on it and then you check 1st class

Let me know if it doesn't work

Badge +2

Yes, you are right, i missed that part again, sorry

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

To be sure, it's not like bernina with the extra reservation free wagon?

Which would be the best connection on Friday and not missing any part of glacier Express route 

Depends when you would like to leave, and from where?

Badge +2

Hi again,

I was just checking all the trains connections and sometimes there is like transfer time below 10 minutes.

Do the trains wait for each other? Or what`s happen if the train will be delayed?

Do we have some rights to compensations?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

International trains often have guaranteed connections. 

Trains in Switzerland often have tight connections but it's usual. They announce the platforms for connecting trains in advance. For example in Zurich main station, all IC trains arrive between xx:20 and xx:30 and then leave between xx:30 and xx:40. You have about 10 min to make your connection, it's a really clever system in my opinion. (Takt-Fahrplan)

A 2-min connection is entirely possible. Often connecting trains are on the same platform so no need to walk down, under the tracks, etc.

In case of 3-5 min delays, the connecting trains very often wait. In case of longer delays simply take the next train (30 min or 1h later in Switzerland)

In case of a bigger delay (1-2h) you should be entitled to compensations and the train company should pay for taxis or even nights in the worst of case. But always talk to staff first.

For other countries trains might be a bit more often delayed, esp. in Germany but you should always be able to take a later train.

Let me know if you've got a specific connection in mind.

Badge +2

Hi again,

Does the pass cover metro in Munich and local trains around Munich?

Badge +2

Hi again,

just bought seats in couchette for 176 euro Munchen to Hannower on the 18th of july in 4 berths couchette, because we are 4 persons.

But we did not get any seats number, does it mean that they can put us i different couchette / compartments?

the trains goes only to Hannover due to engineering works in Hamburg. so how the to get to kolding from Hannover?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There should be berth numbers somewhere on your booking, something like "Coach 4 Berths 51,53, 55, 57".

Between Hannover and Kolding you'll go via Hamburg again (day trains run on the line).

- Hannover - Hamburg 1h20, 2 trains per hour

- Hamburg - Kolding 2h50, train every 2 hours

Yes I've been to Zermatt quite a few times although I travelled with Swiss tickets and not a pass.

You won't climb on the Matterhorn, there are no cable cars at all. You'll get to other peaks to see it. The mountain is visible from Zermatt itself btw.

The most famous peak and the one with the best view is the Gornergrat.

https://www.gornergrat.ch/en/

Sadly no reductions at all with a Eurail Pass. 126 CHF per adult in summer. To save money : buy at a ticket counter in Switzerland a Junior card for the child travelling with you (or a Children Co-Travelcard if it is not your child). It costs 30 CHF and is valid for a month on all Swiss trains, buses, boats, etc, including those that are not included in Eurail. Even if you won't use this card a lot, it is already great value with one trip to the Gornergrat.

Tickets can be bought on the day at the train station, they won't be more expensive. It might be useful as I don't think it is worth it to spend 3 x 126 CHF if all the mountains are hidden in the clouds

The other peaks are not as nice in my opinion and they'll cost even more. 

Badge +2

How to find out if the train has a guaranteed connection?

I was having in mind the following connection

1. Ljubljana - Jesenice - Nova Gorica - there is only 8 min in Jesenice
  2. Spiez - Zweisimmen - Montreux - there is only 3 min in Zweisimmen

If we should choose between 

Visp - Spiez  (through the 35 km Lötschberg Tunnel) or

Visp - Birg - Spiez 

what would you reccomend?

Is this tunnel like very claustrophobic?