Solved

A train that does not require seat reservation at all?

• 24 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi, im travelling from amsterdam to Decin Hlavni Nadrazi with multiple train changes. I already paid for reservation from Amsterdam to Hannover Hbf (since it’s recommended).

However, there is a 4 hours train after that (Hannover Hbf > Dresden Hbf) in the journey that the eurail planner does not show seat reservation recommended. Am i guaranteed a seat on this train? Since I don’t want to stand up throughout the 4h train journey. I attached the screenshot for reference. 

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 24 May 2023, 12:12

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Please do not make these optional reservations on interrail.eu/eurail.com, they're way more expensive than :

- 3€ per train on tickets.oebb.at

- 4.50€ per journey on bahn.com. You can check occupation there too.

No booking fee on either website.

If the train is full, then you'll have to stand but it's unlikely : low occupation expected and lots of available seats on bahn.com. I'd make one for peace of mind on mainlines like Hannover - Berlin.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You are never guaranteed a seat on a train you don’t have a reservation for.

To check how busy German trains are use bahn.com it gives an indicator for each train based on bookings and historical data, you can also proceed with a seat booking and see a map of all free seats.

it is also a better place to book seats.

Please do not make these optional reservations on interrail.eu/eurail.com, they're way more expensive than :

- 3€ per train on tickets.oebb.at

- 4.50€ per journey on bahn.com. You can check occupation there too.

No booking fee on either website.

If the train is full, then you'll have to stand but it's unlikely : low occupation expected and lots of available seats on bahn.com. I'd make one for peace of mind on mainlines like Hannover - Berlin.

Yup I did not make any reservation on eurail site. I am just wondering if some trains they did not put “seats reservation required” or “seats reservation recommended” , is it possible for me to just board the train and sit anywhere. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Reservations are optional for the first two trains you mentioned. You can board and find an unreserved seat, or switch places when someone comes waving with a seat reservations.

On German trains, 15 minutes after departure any untaken reserved seats get released, so everyone that wants can sit there too.