Solved

Activating Greek Island Pass

• 31 March 2023
  • 10 replies

Good evening,

We bought a 6 days Greek Island Pass. The Greek Islands Pass Guide notes that it is impartant to book ferries in the order of use, the date of the first ferry is the activation date of the pass. We already booked a ferry from Italy tot Greece, but didn't need tot give our Pass number. For booking domestic ferries the pass number is needed. How do I know for sure that the system knows that we already booked a ferry and the pass is activated on the Italy - Greece crossing and not on the first domestic ferry (and we have to pay for the Italy - Greece crossing)? 

Thanks in advance,

Martin

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 18 April 2023, 16:40

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We bought a 6 days Greek Island Pass. The Greek Islands Pass Guide notes that it is impartant to book ferries in the order of use, the date of the first ferry is the activation date of the pass. We already booked a ferry from Italy tot Greece, but didn't need tot give our Pass number.

Then you probably didn't get any pass discount. With a Greek Islands Pass, the ferry Italy-Greece is free of charge.

For booking domestic ferries the pass number is needed. How do I know for sure that the system knows that we already booked a ferry and the pass is activated on the Italy - Greece crossing and not on the first domestic ferry (and we have to pay for the Italy - Greece crossing)?

AFAIK, this "activation” just means that your pass cover number is stored in the ferry company's database. That also means no "activation” has taken place if you didn't give your pass cover number, but you shouldn't worry about it. If you can show a valid pass at check-in, then you're good.

Hi,

Thanks for answering my question so quickly.

We got the Italy - Greece crossing free of charge (including a cabin), so there's no problem on that crossing.

Another question about the domestic bookings. For the domestic routes between the Islands we want to add a cabin (night crossings). Without a cabin the crossing is free of charge. With the cabin included the crossing has the same price as a crossing without a Greek Island Pass. How to get the free of charge crossing including the discount for the cabin?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Could you please mention route, departure date and departure time?

For example: Piraeus - Rhodes, July 17th, departure 18.00 hours, whole cabin 4 people incl window.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I've done a test booking and the booking website now only allows the Greek islands pass as a discount if you're booking a seat, e.g. in Economy. However, according to the pass brochure, you're entitled to a "30% reduction on all upgrades in accommodation”. This is confirmed by Blue Star Ferries, but they say additionally: "Accommodation upgrades are possible at the company’s Port Offices or at the Chief Purser’s Office on board, after the embarkation (upon availability).”

I'd say write the ferry company a mail that their website doesn't allow to book a cabin with your passes in advance and that you therefore wish to book via email.

If they don't want to do that, then mention that Interrail does not say that such upgrades would only be available locally and that such a severe limitation in practice means that, in the high season, you would only have the choice between paying the full fare for a cabin (so your pass is worthless), or booking a seat, with a high probability of no cabins being available by the time you arrive at the port.

Do let us know how you get on.

Thank's for your tip. I'll book by mail then and will let you all know if the company agrees.

Hi,

I used your text suggestion. Today I receive Attica's Helpdesk reaction:

Unfortunately the upgrade can be made only onboard .

Please follow this link : https://www.bluestarferries.com/en-gb/offers-discounts/sail-rail

The Bleu Star Ferries Sail & Rail information mentions that there is a 30% discount on possible on board upgrades! You also found this out. So from their perspective they are right.

However, this limitation is not mentioned at the Interrail websites. I found a Sail and rail link on the Dutch version of the Interrail Greeks Island Passes website https://www.interrail.eu/nl/interrail-passes/one-country-pass/greece-passes/greek-islands. This link is located under the international ferry conditions and not under the domestic ferry conditions, furthermore this link goes to Superfast Ferries https://www.superfast.com/en-gb/special-offers/sail-rail instead of Blue Star and Superfast doesn't mention the ‘possible on board’ limitation. So, how could I ever have known this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Camilo. @Mukhammad the information about getting accommodation upgrades for the Greek Islands pass on the Interrail/Eurail website and in the Greek Islands Pass Guide is misleading. It does not mention that you can only book locally, which is a severe limitation, especially during the high season.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Camilo. @Mukhammad the information about getting accommodation upgrades for the Greek Islands pass on the Interrail/Eurail website and in the Greek Islands Pass Guide is misleading. It does not mention that you can only book locally, which is a severe limitation, especially during the high season.

Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry about the issue! I'm reporting this matter to the higher levels.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry about the issue! I'm reporting this matter to the higher levels.

UPDATE:

Thank you very much @rvdborgt  for bringing this on the community. We were just informed that upgrades are only possible on board. We have contacted our content team to update this on our website.

Have a nice day!