Solved

Addng journeys to my trip

• 17 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi, using the journey planner app I seem to be having a weird problem. I created 2 trips, one for me and the other for my wife. On our first travel day I’ve added 3 journeys to my trip without any problem, albeit one of them, as Thameslink service to St Pancras Intl, doesn’t exist in the timetable so I added it manually (I read that the timetables aren’t always very up-to-date).

I added the same journeys to my wife’s pass (exactly the same type of pass). But when I came to activate the journeys (if that’s the right expression for sliding the button against the journey to change it from grey to orange) I noticed there was a funny symbol on the button for the 2nd journey…

… and when I tried to activate it I got the following message…

I don’t understand the message; when I select “use outbound/inbound journey” I just get a message saying “something went wrong” and to contact customer service if it keeps happening (which it does). I’ve not tried contacting customer service yet but does anyone here have any idea what’s going on, and will it stop her using the pass on that train?

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 17 February 2023, 14:06

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You’re a UK resident no? So you should indeed consume an outbound/inbound  for this travel day.

What if you enter that train again in the trip, but don’t select Saint Pancras, but the previous station. Farringdon? Does she get the “something went wrong” message too then?

And best NOT activate any travel day or journey to your pass, until only minutes before taking the first train of the day. You never know you get ill, or some infrastructure problem blocks your plan of the day. You cannot undo an activated travel day on the day itself. A lot of people already lost travel days because of it.

Yes I’m a uk resident. Sure I need to consume an outbound for my first travel day, however as I said I didn’t get this warning on my own pass. And the app already shows it’s an out/in day for both of us.
I just found that by deleting that journey and adding it again (identical details) to her pass only (I’ve got both trips on my copy of the app at the moment), I didn’t get the prompt to use and inbound/outbound journey and it seems to be added ok, but I’m very confused as to what’s going on, the app seems rather buggy…

I must admit I didn’t know when was the right time to activate a travel day but thanks for your suggestion, however if I’d found this problem minutes before trying to board we’d have been really panicking!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes I’m a uk resident. Sure I need to consume an outbound for my first travel day, however as I said I didn’t get this warning on my own pass. And the app already shows it’s an out/in day for both of us.

For your pass, we don't see the line from My Trip with the date, where the green in/out would appear.

What does it say in My Pass for in/out? I'd expect “1/2 used” for both of you.

I just found that by deleting that journey and adding it again (identical details) to her pass only (I’ve got both trips on my copy of the app at the moment), I didn’t get the prompt to use and inbound/outbound journey and it seems to be added ok, but I’m very confused as to what’s going on, the app seems rather buggy…

If you delete a journey from a travel day that uses an inbound/outbound journey, then that travel day will still use an inbound/outbound journey. If you then add a new journey in your country of residence, the app won't ask you again because you're already using an inbound/outbound journey on that day. It will only ask you the first time you add a journey in your country of residence for a travel day.

As BrendanDB says, the best is to cancel activation for your passes and only to activate a few minutes before boarding your first train.

For your pass, we don't see the line from My Trip with the date, where the green in/out would appear.

What does it say in My Pass for in/out? I'd expect “1/2 used” for both of you.

If you delete a journey from a travel day that uses an inbound/outbound journey, then that travel day will still use an inbound/outbound journey. If you then add a new journey in your country of residence, the app won't ask you again because you're already using an inbound/outbound journey on that day. It will only ask you the first time you add a journey in your country of residence for a travel day.

As BrendanDB says, the best is to cancel activation for your passes and only to activate a few minutes before boarding your first train.

Sorry my screenshot wasn’t so good but it did show the Green in/out for that day for both our trips. And it does say 1 / 2 used for both our passes, and both these were the case even before I managed to “fix” this problem.

Since having this problem I’m more than a little nervous about cancelling activation of journeys, I might do it now then reactivate the night before, but not minutes before, just in case it goes wrong again.

One other thing that’s confusing me, don’t know if it’s relevant to this issue, but what is this funny QR code like symbol on the button? It seems to randomly appear on some journeys when I open the trip.