Solved

Brussels - Vienna Nightjet prices

• 30 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi everyone, 

I have some quick questions concerning the OBB Nightjet linking Brussels to Vienna.

I’m a scout groupe leader and we’re going on a camp next summer (July 2023). We were planning on taking an Interrail pass for the whole groupe because we want to travel all by train. (let me know if any of you already took that train)

Our first train would be the Brussels to Vienna nightjet and I can’t find some usefulll information. 

• First of all, how much does this journey coust with an interrail pass ? I found some people saying it costs only about 30€ and some saying they could’nt get any discount with their pass.

• Secondly, I d’ont understand the concept of “private compartment”. It seems like its cheaper to take two private compartments of 3 people than taking a 6bed compartment which seems odd. 

Hope anyone can help us for our camp. Have a good day y’all,

Basile

icon

Best answer by Hektor 30 December 2022, 09:57

View original

9 replies

[1]

Interrail reservations are (per person):

14 € seat

34 € couchette with 6 places

44 € couchette with 4 places

74 € sleeper for three

94 € sleeper for two

144 € sleeper single

[2]

This is a special offer for up to three people. If it’s available, it’s less expensive, that’s true.

Kind regards, Hektor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

How many are in your group? Many rail companies have separate offices for group travel.

https://www.oebb.at/en/tickets-kundenkarten/schueler-gruppen/gruppenreisen

https://www.nightjet.com/en/buchung/tarifinformationen/schulgruppen

How many are in your group? Many rail companies have separate offices for group travel.

https://www.oebb.at/en/tickets-kundenkarten/schueler-gruppen/gruppenreisen

https://www.nightjet.com/en/buchung/tarifinformationen/schulgruppen

We’d be about 23 people (5 adults and 18 scouts under 18)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you only will make a return trip and you know the dates for your trip this long in advance, I think that ordinary tickets with a group discount will be cheaper than Interrail + reservation fees. Depending on the age of the scouts you might use special offers for children instead of the group discount. You need to check with the railway company. 

I know that for reservations made at Deutsche Bahn every adult can bring 4 children under the age of 15 free of charge on day trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

In order to see the passholder rates you must add in Interrail as discount for every passenger.

Once you do this it will drop the price for compartment with 6 beds to €204 for the Comfort Ticket/Flex option.

There is no discount for the Private Compartment option but as long as 6 of you book all beds in one compartment it is yours exclusively anyway.

If you only will make a return trip and you know the dates for your trip this long in advance, I think that ordinary tickets with a group discount will be cheaper than Interrail + reservation fees. Depending on the age of the scouts you might use special offers for children instead of the group discount. You need to check with the railway company. 

I know that for reservations made at Deutsche Bahn every adult can bring 4 children under the age of 15 free of charge on day trains.

Hi,
Thanks for the answer.
We were planning to take a few trains before going back (we visit Czech Republic a bit and also stop in Germany for a day on the way back). We’d take about 6 trains in total (5 days travel time)
Knowing we go during high season period and all of the scouts are over 16, Interrail might be more intresting… Idk ? 

In order to see the passholder rates you must add in Interrail as discount for every passenger.

Once you do this it will drop the price for compartment with 6 beds to €204 for the Comfort Ticket/Flex option.

There is no discount for the Private Compartment option but as long as 6 of you book all beds in one compartment it is yours exclusively anyway.

OK thanks for that. 

Did you experienced this or did you calculate with the prices @Hektor gave before ? 

Have a good day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

OK thanks for that. 

Did you experienced this or did you calculate with the prices @Hektor gave before ? 

Have a good day.

Just go back one page from the one you screenshotted on the Nightjet website and click on change passenger, then click on discount and type interrail and select Interail-Eurail Global Pass. Do this for each passenger and then select the train you want, this will show the discounted rates.

You can buy these before you have bought interrail passes but of course they are only valid for travel along with valid passes on the day of travel.

As they are the Comfort/Flex ticket type they are fully refundable up to 2 weeks before departure, AFAIK you can only refund the whole booking not individual reservations.

OK thanks for that. 

Did you experienced this or did you calculate with the prices @Hektor gave before ? 

Have a good day.

Just go back one page from the one you screenshotted on the Nightjet website and click on change passenger, then click on discount and type interrail and select Interail-Eurail Global Pass. Do this for each passenger and then select the train you want, this will show the discounted rates.

You can buy these before you have bought interrail passes but of course they are only valid for travel along with valid passes on the day of travel.

As they are the Comfort/Flex ticket type they are fully refundable up to 2 weeks before departure, AFAIK you can only refund the whole booking not individual reservations.

Great. You’ve been of good help ! Thanks a lot mate.