Solved

Do I need an eTicket for "free to board".

• 16 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi all, I searched the timetable for London St Pancras to Amsterdam Centraal, 8:55am, 29/4/2023.  The whole trip includes 3 stops, I paid to reserve 2 seats on St Pancras to Bruxelles Midi, that was highlighted orange, with a cost, and received 2 emailed eTickets from Eurostar.  The legs from Bruxelles Midi to Breda, then Breda to Amsterdam Centraal (Thalys) were highlighted green, no reservation required, free to board.  Does that mean we will get a seat on the Thalys train from Bruxelles to Amsterdam, just by referencing our Global Pass number ? Thanks very much for your help, the Eurail site lacks some linking information in this area.  

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 16 January 2023, 09:22

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

For thalys you still need a reservation but you can take the slower reservation free Intercity from.Brussels to Amsterdam. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thalys doesn’t stop in Breda, so you are on the slightly slower Intercity from Brussels to Amsterdam that doesn’t require any form of seat reservation. Your pass is the (e-)ticket with a valid QR code for that day.

You also don’t want to take Thalys, between Brussels and Amsterdam it’s bad value for money. It’s only slightly quicker. A seat reservation costs as much as cheap advance tickets.

You don’t have to switch in Breda, you can just stay on the train to Amsterdam (not switching only adds 10 min travel time and a lot less hassle).

With your Eurostar seat reservations you’re good to go on the route you’re planning!

Thanks very much for the replies, very helpful, cheers.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

And IF wanted-maybe depending on where your HTL in AMS stands: you can same day, some QRcode, also use a local train in AMS from CS to another stop that maybe be closer by. But train=yellow only, not the metro (which has gates to enter anyway for chipcards)