Solved

Eurail Global Pass in Switzerland for Gotthard Express and the Volarpen Express

Can I use the eurail global pass for the Gotthard Express and the Volarpen Express Trains in Switzerland?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 5 May 2023, 06:37

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes the Voralpen Express is only a brand, you can take any IR train

On the other hand the Gotthard Panorama Express is a special train : you need to pay for the boat (50% discount) and a 1st class surcharge for the train (only 1st class carriages) + 17 CHF (if I'm not mistaken) seat reservation

But you can take any hourly reservation-free IR train on the same route : whether 1st or 2nd class. It is the way to go in my opinion

Thank you very for your quick response.
I have bought the first class eurail global pass. I have also separately made reservations in Gotthard Express & Volarpen exp IR2018. So I presume that there is no extra charge and I can use my eurail global pass in both these trains.
Thanks a lot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes if you have made seat reservations for the Gotthard Panorama Express it's fine

For all other trains (except Glacier Express where they are required) reservations are a waste of money in Switzerland

Noted and thank you very much. Highly apprecite your quick reply.

You wrote: “For all other trains (except Glacier Express where they are required) reservations are a waste of money in Switzerland”

Why is that? I was going to make reservations for the Gotthard Express, Bernia Express, Glacier Express, and Golden Pass in June.

Also, can anybody reply with the proper URL link to get seat reservations for the Gotthard Panorama Express? We already have the 2 first class Eurail passes. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Here you go : https://www.gotthard-panorama-express.ch/en/stories/tickets-und-reservationen

"Gotthard Panorama Express seat reservation" on Google.

You're too early for the summer season per the website.

About your other question : seat reservations are really not a thing in Switzerland -> people hop on hop off and sit wherever they want basically. It works well. 1st class is very rarely busy -> 2nd class tickets are expensive enough! :)

The only exceptions are trains for tourists :

- Glacier Express : 49 CHF mandatory reservation, very popular so book as soon as possible. Most seats are taken by tour groups months in advance.

- Bernina Express : 36 CHF mandatory reservation in the panorama carriages. However you can board the regular carriages at the front at no extra cost.

- Gotthard Panorama Express : mandatory reservation, 1st class required (so you're good to go). Alternative : very good and comfortable hourly Treno Gottardo (IR26/46).

- Golden Pass (Express) : optional reservations. 1st class is rarely busy so I wouldn't bother, especially if you board at the first stop.

The usual advice we give on this forum is to take the hourly regional trains following the same routes : no extra fees, less busy, less loud, sometimes pull-down windows (RhB network) = better experience overall.

Feel free to ask anything.

Thank you @thibcabe !

When I went to the Glacier Express website,

https://shop.glacierexpress.ch/gex_en/specials/daytrips/glacier-express

The cost was shown as 272 CHF each, not 49 CHF. Am I missing something?

That route was St. Moritz to Zermatt. 8 hours, 19 minute journey.

Thank you @thibcabe !

When I went to the Glacier Express website,

https://shop.glacierexpress.ch/gex_en/specials/daytrips/glacier-express

The cost was shown as 272 CHF each, not 49 CHF. Am I missing something?

Unfortunately you do. When you do read the text written above the price mentioned, it says "At a later booking stage, when asked to fill in the passenger's details, you have the option to select "reservation only" under Ticket/Refund."

272 CHF is the price for a regular ticket.