Solved

expected strike in the UK

• 7 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello! I booked the seat reservation of eurostar from London St Pancras Int’l to Rotterdam on 13 Dec. But the strike action is expected in the UK on 13, 14, 16 December and i was wondering if it is possible to refund the reservation beforehand. Or I can only know whether it is refundable if the strike does happen on that date (cause they haven’t announced if the journey is truely affected)

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 7 December 2022, 13:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Al_G @Yorkie Do you know if the Eurostar will be affected by the strike mentioned above?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It's best not to cancel until you know how the strikes will affect your journey. As long as the train is still planned to operate, a cancellation would be your own initiative and normal conditions apply, usually with costs involved, or cancelling may not even be possible.

When the strike affects your journey and the resulting expected delay at your destination will be more than 1 hour, you have the choice between:

1. Cancel your journey and get a full refund.
  2. Travel at the earliest opportunity.
  3. Travel at a later date of your choice.

(EU Regulation 1371/2007, article 16).

For option 1, contact the place where you bought your reservation.

Options 2 and 3 must be offered (by Eurostar) without additional costs and without taking into account any pass holder quota. If you get stranded, they must provide overnight accommodation (EU Regulation 1371/2007, article 18).

If you choose one of the options, then you can't get one of the others anymore.

If you cancel in advance, then you can't claim anything anymore.

Check the Eurostar website regularly, especially the travel updates:

https://www.eurostar.com/be-en/travel-info/service-information/eurostar-travel-updates

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Eurostar have so far escaped the worst of the disruption, if future strikes follow the same pattern they will be able to run most of their booked trains on these days, no guarantees though, @rvdborgt provided the best place for updated information.