First timer to Europe!

• 21 February 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello all! 

I will be visiting Europe for the first time this coming September (solo trip)! I have been looking into getting the Eurail pass but I am still a bit confused as to how this all works and I was wondering if I could get some help please!

I’m from the United States, specially ohio and we do not use trains here. I am flying into Paris then traveling to Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest then flying to Dublin. I am assuming the 5 day pass is what works best for me? I want to do the first class pass because I want the space but is it worth it for just me? also, where will my huge suitcase be stored? and how do I know if I am on a high speed train or not? I see all these people talking about different types of trains and I also see when I need a seat reservation but I don’t see it ever say specifically “this is a high speed train”! I’d rather just get to my destination as quick as possible, I don’t need the scenery trip.

Thank you! Savannah

rvdborgt 1 year ago

5 days/month will work. You will also need a reservation on at least Paris-Amsterdam (€32 in 2nd/€37 in 1st), with limited availability, so book ahead. The other trains have optional reservations which can be booked for €3 on e.g. tickets.oebb.at if you want one but September is not high season anymore.

You can use bahn.com to check timetables. Do NOT use eurail.com or the rail planner app to plan anything - they're unreliable. The app is only good to register journeys once you start travelling.

The trains you intend to use are good enough in 2nd class but if you really want space, they do offer more space in 1st.

You will have to carry your suitcase yourself so it's best to pack light. There will be luggage racks above and between the seats.

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

5 days/month will work. You will also need a reservation on at least Paris-Amsterdam (€32 in 2nd/€37 in 1st), with limited availability, so book ahead. The other trains have optional reservations which can be booked for €3 on e.g. tickets.oebb.at if you want one but September is not high season anymore.

You can use bahn.com to check timetables. Do NOT use eurail.com or the rail planner app to plan anything - they're unreliable. The app is only good to register journeys once you start travelling.

The trains you intend to use are good enough in 2nd class but if you really want space, they do offer more space in 1st.

You will have to carry your suitcase yourself so it's best to pack light. There will be luggage racks above and between the seats.