Solved

Global Pass - Start day within 11 months ? + stop inbetween?

• 13 February 2023
  • 10 replies

Hey, i purchased as many of us a ticket during the promo offer: a 2 months global pass with mobile pass.

Now i have two questions, i found similar threads but I want to be really sure I get things right and dont mess anything up so my pass is not valid. I found similar threads but sometimes I didnt know if I got the answer right..

1. My pass is valid until 10th of April (activation period), so if I understand right, it doesnt mean I have to start my travel until 10th? I just have to activate it before, means i have to decide for a travel date, so i could also start for example End of April (unless i activated and chose the travel date before 10th April)? Its very important to know for me so I dont get things wrong, because I would ideally start a bit later in April if its possible.

1. If i e.g. start my travel at 25th April and then i travel for 3 weeks. And then i come back to germany and end my first trip. Am I allowed to use the pass nevertheless later if I start not in my home country? As in am I allowed to do two separate trips?

For example if I wanna do another trip in mid May and I would start somewhere NOT in my home country , is that valid? or does it have to be ONE travel. If yes, if I stop the last travel e.g. in Paris at 02nd of May, then I would be allowed to start another travel there at e.g. 25nd May because its the same stop?

I dont think I will be able to travel 2 months nonstop but since its valid 2 months It would be awesome to use it later again, thats why i ask.

Im sorry for repetitive questions here but I as I said wanna be pretty sure about my case.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Johanna

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 14 February 2023, 11:41

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@1, yes can do, but check: there was a very recent post about the same-I myself have in fact the same (a cheap 2-MO global pass, senior, but I intend to start in march), but never used mobile before-many paper passes. The point is that IF it is a pass with traveldays (not valid all the time) then activation start day will be taken-quite natural-as also travelday. What you have to do to avoid that is perhaps now answered there. With 2 MO continue this is of course no issue-except you kind of ´loose money´ if you do not use it long time. The really last&final day IF start 10/4 will be 9/6!

@2.can do, but you are allowed ONLY 2 traveldays ALSO in DE-with the idea these are used to go to border or airport, also quite logical. I had a 3 month pass last autumn and made 9 trips on it, of about 1 week but also hold a kind of off-peak BC100 for my country, NL, so that is all covered. Several of these were fly out and come back in steps on train.

Maybe perhaps and if you are interested that new to come 49€/MO DE-Ticket can help you, but will not be valid in IC/ICE. Or you simply buy the cheapest/best SparPreis on bahn you can find to get out from home and back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@1, yes can do, but check: there was a very recent post about the same-I myself have in fact the same (a cheap 2-MO global pass, senior, but I intend to start in march), but never used mobile before-many paper passes. The point is that IF it is a pass with traveldays (not valid all the time) then activation start day will be taken-quite natural-as also travelday.

@mcadv Nope, this has been changed, as I had already explained to you. Do you actually read any replies?

But, although this is not specified, this is probably a pass from the limited 50% promotional offer, which were only continuous passes.

Im not quite sure if I got it right now.. @rvdborgt : So starting later than 10th is allowed?

And to be 100% sure I should ask Interrail Support or are you working for them?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Im not quite sure if I got it right now.. @rvdborgt : So starting later than 10th is allowed?

You'll have to go through the activation process by 10 April and the latest possible start date will also be 10 April. When, if and how you then use your pass is entirely up to you.

And to be 100% sure I should ask Interrail Support or are you working for them?

I don't work for Eurail/Interrail but I have a pretty good understanding of how it works :)

I dont know, I just dont understand it :( You say the latest possible start will be 10th April but “when i use it then is up to me” - so do I have to make a first travel before 10th of April? Im sorry but its just not clear to me from your answer.

Because I wanted to start my 3 weeks travel later, e.g. on 25th April, but this is not possible then right? I have to start latest 10th?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Because I wanted to start my 3 weeks travel later, e.g. on 25th April, but this is not possible then right? I have to start latest 10th?

It seems you are confused between activation and actual use.

As your pass is a continuous pass (i.e. unlimited travel days in the prescribed period after activation) it simply means that once activated (say on April 9th) you can use the pass in whatever way you want up till midnight 8 June. There is no worry if you do not use it until any date up to 8 June but not after that date.

Just to confirm - your pass must be activated no later than the date in your pass or you will lose it, but how many days you use it and when is entirely up to you. The only limitation is the 2 days you can use it in your country of residence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You MUST activate the pass by April 10.

Your 2 month continuous pass will then be set for travel on every day from 10 April to 9 June.

During that timeframe you can use it on any day you choose, you can use 1 day, you can use 61 days or any number in between. You can travel or not travel as you please on each day it is valid.

The only restriction is that you have up to 2 days on which you can use it in your home country, this includes international travel to/from or through your home country.

It is your choice which 2 days you use for this, they can be at any point during your 2 month validity and if you don’t wish to use the pass in your home country that is also fine.

Thanks a lot for the last two comments, yes I was really confused between Activation and first travel day.or latest first travel date.

But when I activate the pass, I have to set a date where I want to start the travel right? Means, I have to decide before 10th of April WHEN I wanna start my travel and its not so easy to change that afterwards i read? So I can NOT travel spontaneously because I have to set the date when I activate the pass means for me before 10th right?

Im sorry guys its my first interrail and in the internet are so many information that i got flooded and confused because some say different things..

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Normally you should activate the pass the same date as you start your travel and then the activation date and the first day of the validity of the pass is the same. But there is a last activation date for all passes.

Neither the activation date nor the first day of the validity of the pass has any connection to when you in reality choose to actually travel.

As you have a 2 month pass, all days during the validity of the pass will be travel days. This means that you have the possibility to travel every day, but you can choose to only travel on one day. 

You must activate your pass no later than the 10th of April and you must set the start date of the validity to no later than the 10 th of April. You pass will then be valid until the 9th of June and you can travel as much or little as you like during those 2 months. 

The only restrictions are that you only can travel on a maximum of two travel days in your country of residence.