Solved

How useful is the EuRail pass for travelling within a city?

• 2 May 2023
  • 3 replies

I’m currently trying to decide if I should buy the 2 month continuous rail pass, or the 15 in 2 month pass. I’ve worked out all my itinerary and transit. Considering ONLY transit between each big city destination I would save around €175 by choosing the 15 day option. This is doing all my math to consider which trains require reservations and so on.

I am hesitating because I’m wondering how much I would use the EuRail pass once I am actually AT my destination. I know I cannot use the pass for busses or metros, but I can still use them for trains (including if I wanted to add any last minute day trips into my itinerary). I’m debating whether the flexibility with the continuous pass is financially worth it, and if its worth it because of savings when I’m actually in each city. 

My question to the community - is the pass worth it while you are in the city? Did anyone find themselves using the pass often for getting around big city centres? For example, getting around Rome as I’m staying further from the city centre. Or doing a day trip from Naples? Or when getting around Prague or Vienna?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 2 May 2023, 18:57

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The pass is only valid on trains. You won't be able to use it to travel through Rome.

The only exception is small suburban railways which can be included, esp. in Germany (S-Bahn)

But in the end it would never amount to 175$. Buy city tickets or day passes while in the city instead. On the other hand if you're planning to do a lot of day trips outside a city, then the flexibility might be worth it…

I'd still go with the 15-day pass

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It really depends on the Cities :) 

For example i used my Continouspass recently to Commute each day from Luton to London (30mins) and saved per Night more than 30€ as the Hotels (same Brand) were cheaper in Luton :) The ticket from Luton to London would be 20€ each day :D so the Continouspass was worth it. 

Same can be done with Amsterdam (Leiden,Utrecht), Brussels (Antwerp, Leuven) and many other Cities in Europe it always depends where you travel,when and how much. 

It really depends on the Cities :) 

For example i used my Continouspass recently to Commute each day from Luton to London (30mins) and saved per Night more than 30€ as the Hotels (same Brand) were cheaper in Luton :) The ticket from Luton to London would be 20€ each day :D so the Continouspass was worth it. 

Same can be done with Amsterdam (Leiden,Utrecht), Brussels (Antwerp, Leuven) and many other Cities in Europe it always depends where you travel,when and how much. 

That’s helpful. I’ll kind of be all around which makes it hard. Majority of my trip will be spent in Italy though, about 3.5 weeks there. I guess i’ll look into how much extra travel I will do. thanks!