Solved

IC train with Eurail - how to board if no reservation required?

• 16 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello.

I will be in Amsterdam for the first time, soon, and am unfamiliar with the practices there.

I have a 1st Class Eurail pass, Digital.

I will travel from Amsterdam to Brussels.  No seat reservations are required for the IC train.  And the app says that the price of IC trains are already included in my Eurail pass.

But can anyone tell me if there is anything that I must do on the Eurail app before I board the IC train?  Since there are no reservations required, and permission to use the train is already included in my Eurail app, then do I simply walk onto the train without a printed ticket or barcode?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by ralderton 16 March 2023, 11:48

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You don; t need a reservation, but you do need to add the journey to your Trip in your app before you board.

Reservations and adding journey to your Trip are two separate things, and don’t affect each other.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Here’s an example from my last trip.

When you add a journey here, and slide the toggle so it’s orange and ‘active’, you’re not making a reservation. You’re just telling Eurail that you will be taking this train, and that’s when it generates a ticket for you to show the conductor (and eventually, Eurail knows how much to pay the operator).

If you need reservations, you have to make them somewhere else, they don’t appear in the app.

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the app for the first time, and I have added the IC train to the  “My Trip” tab on the app. 

However, if I change my mind and do NOT board the train, will the app still deduct 1 day from me?

In other words, how does the app know when to deduct train days?  I am trying to prevent the accidental deductions from occurring. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the app for the first time, and I have added the IC train to the  “My Trip” tab on the app. 

However, if I change my mind and do NOT board the train, will the app still deduct 1 day from me?

In other words, how does the app know when to deduct train days?  I am trying to prevent the accidental deductions from occurring. 

Don’t slide the toggle to on (orange) until you are sure you will be taking the train. You don’t need to to it until just before you board anyway. That way, you won’t activate a travel day if you’re not using it.

(Actually, you can toggle them on and off until midnight CET the day before you travel, and it will deactivate the travel day, but there's no need. Just wait until just before you are taking the train.)

Quite often, I add two or three different trains if I don’t know what time I will arrive at the station, then when I get there (and check the departure board for any delays) I select which one I’m going to board.