Solved

is Bernina Express included in the EURAIL PASS?

Badge

hi everyone..thank you in advance for your insights..we will be traveling around Europe in April-May. We are planning on catching a train from Milan to Tirano and from Tirano, italy take the Bernina Express...And get off in St Moritz and catch a train until we arrive in Lucerne, Switzerland.

icon

Best answer by Angelo 18 January 2023, 15:36

View original

35 replies

Badge

Also, I have already bought reservation seats in the Bernina Express. How does that work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your pass is valid. The Bernina Express is operated by Rhätische Bahn, who accept Eurail passes.

Also, I have already bought reservation seats in the Bernina Express. How does that work?

Like any other reservation: you board in the coach mentioned on your reservation and then look for your seat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You could have done it for ´free´=no extra to pay by simply using the normal seats in the normal cars, without any RES. Views may be a tiny little bit more restricted. The other trains you use before/after work also that way-but they do not have any special cars.

This also applies to all the many other touristy trains that Swiss rails are so keen to promote to the tourists.

In most cases if one sits on the allocated seats with RES noone will even be interested in them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservations on the Bernina Express is a waist of money. There are reservation free coaches on all BE-trains and there are also reservation free regional trains on the same route. 

Badge

Thank you all for your responses. 

What I mean regarding the Reserved seats in Bernina, so I do not have to buy tickets for the Bernina Express then? So will that be deducted from the number of days from the eurail pass? And with the Eurail pass, is it just for specific trains?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you all for your responses. 

What I mean regarding the Reserved seats in Bernina, so I do not have to buy tickets for the Bernina Express then?

The Eurail pass is your ticket

So will that be deducted from the number of days from the eurail pass?

Yes

And with the Eurail pass, is it just for specific trains?

I don't understand what you mean with this.

The Eurail pass is your ticket for all trains included in the Eurail offer. For some trains you need to buy a mandatory seat reservation. Some trains have optional seat reservation and some trains have no reservation. 

Badge

Apologies if my question is confusing. What I meant is, you know when you purchase a Eurail pass, it will have let’s say for example, 10 in 2months. So, if we board the Bernina express, will that be deducted from the 10 trips we will take?

Also, should we purchase a half-fare card on top of the eurail pass while we are in switzerland? as we are intending to try the Top of Europe experience and ride the gondolas, boat, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Apologies if my question is confusing. What I meant is, you know when you purchase a Eurail pass, it will have let’s say for example, 10 in 2months. So, if we board the Bernina express, will that be deducted from the 10 trips we will take?

Yes, you will have to activate one of your 10 travel days, by adding that train to your pass.

The pass does not count the number of trains or trips or journeys but only counts travel days, on which you can use as many trains as you want.

Also, should we purchase a half-fare card on top of the eurail pass while we are in switzerland? as we are intending to try the Top of Europe experience and ride the gondolas, boat, etc.

I doubt if that will be worth while. But only you can estimate that for yourself, since only you know what journeys you will make. You can look up fares in Switzerland on sbb.ch and see how much you pay with and without the half fare card.

Badge

Thank you very much.

So, with the Eurail pass, does it include the trains within countries? like for example within Switzerland, going from Interlaken to Brienz, can you use it?

Badge

And does it include the Gondolas, and the cogwheels, buses, etc? Thank you very much

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Eurail includes the majority of trains in Europe, local, regional, intercity, high speed. Most of it is included in the pass. Although some require reservations, but reservation free alternative trains exist in most cases.

The train Interlaken-Brienz (Zentralbahn) is included. No need for reservations. Just add the journey to your pass and board. But you probably shouldn't waste a travel day on it if you only do that on one day, only for that it's only a short distance.

InterRAIL/EuRAIL is only valid for trains. (or an rare, occasional ferry and some rail replacement buses, in case something goes wrong or engineering works).

The trains to Grindelwald (BOB) and Jongfraujoch are not included in the pass. 

But discounts exist, you don't need to activate a travelnday for that. 

Badge

where can I get information on how to use the pass?like activating it in the places/countries that we want to go to?Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

How to use the pass:
https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started

Information per country:

https://www.eurail.com/en/get-inspired/top-destinations

Badge

thank you so much for all your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Check out this map: https://sbb.interrail.eu/content/dam/pdfs/SBB-Interrail-Eurail-S-20-WEB.pdf

it shows the validity of Interrail/Eurail in Switzerland.

Badge

hello everyone. sorry i forgot to ask this question. 

i reserved seats for the bernina as 1st class, fldo i have to book my eurail pass as 1st class as well?

thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

i reserved seats for the bernina as 1st class, fldo i have to book my eurail pass as 1st class as well?

Yes. You could maybe upgrade just that trip through SBB, but I expect that to be probably nearly as expensive as the difference between a 1st and 2nd class Eurail pass - and with that you can travel the whole period in 1st class.

You could obviously have booked 2nd class seat reservations instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

What do you mean by “ do i have to book my eurail pass as 1st class as well?”?

It’s a bit confusing terminology.

You need to add every journey you undertake to your Pass. You do this by saving the trains you want to take/plan to take in “My Trip”. When you’re ready to board, a bit before departure, you need tap the ledger, so that the QR-code generates in “My Pass”; The pass is now your valid ticket for that trip.

Only a seat reservation is not enough on the Bernina express dedicated coaches (and many other trains with mandatory reservations), you always need a valid ticket with it (an activated pass, with active travel day in your case).

Badge

hi Brendan, apologies if my question it is a bit confusing.

What I have done is, I reserved a seat for the Brenina Express even if I have not bought a Eurail Global Pass. That’s the reason why I asked if when I buy the Eurail if it should be first class since I reserved our seats in the Bernina as 1st class. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes to sit in first class you need a first class Eurail Pass valid in Switzerland. Also possible is to buy the price difference between standard 2nd class tickets and 1st class tickets, but this would cost much. 

Badge

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes to sit in first class you need a first class Eurail Pass valid in Switzerland. Also possible is to buy the price difference between standard 2nd class tickets and 1st class tickets, but this would cost much. 

I think that a point to point upgrade from 2nd to 1st class for the travel on the Bernina Express is cheaper than the price difference between a 1st class and a 2nd class pass. I checked the price for an upgrade from Chur to Tirano next Wednesday and the price was 31 CHF. But you need check the different prices and do the calculation yourself to see what is cheaper.

Badge

Thank you Anna. If in case we just do the point to point upgrade, how is it done? I mean thru the train station?thru the mobile app, etc?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

As far as I know the upgrade costs 48 CHF. 31 CHF is the price for a regular 2nd class ticket with Halbtax. 

Upgrading just Chur-Tirano is certainly cheaper than the price difference between 2nd and 1st class passes, but in perspective not that much: for adults upgrading the pass ranges between about €70 (4 day pass) and €250 (3 months pass), for youths and seniors the difference is even less. If you find 48 CHF (= about €48) worth upgrading that single leg, you'll probably also want to upgrade all other travel days.

Badge

thank you.i will weigh my options. with the seat reservations inbetween countries, is it better to do it in advance? do you have to stick to the time that you have reserved?sorry if this question is not so related to the topic