Solved

is Bernina Express included in the EURAIL PASS?

Badge

hi everyone..thank you in advance for your insights..we will be traveling around Europe in April-May. We are planning on catching a train from Milan to Tirano and from Tirano, italy take the Bernina Express...And get off in St Moritz and catch a train until we arrive in Lucerne, Switzerland.

icon

Best answer by Angelo 18 January 2023, 15:36

View original

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

thank you.i will weigh my options. with the seat reservations inbetween countries, is it better to do it in advance? do you have to stick to the time that you have reserved?sorry if this question is not so related to the topic

If you have made reservations that are mandatory you need to stick to them or make new reservations. If you have made reservations for trains with optional reservation you can just take any train and travel without reservation.

For trains with mandatory reservations you best make the reservations as soon as you know which train you want to travel with. 

You know that you can travel on the Bernina Express without reservation, but that will be in 2nd class. If you want to take nice pictures I have heard that the reservation free coaches are the best as you can open the windows and the coaches also should run just behind the engine so that you can get nice pictures of the whole train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You know that you can travel on the Bernina Express without reservation, but that will be in 2nd class. If you want to take nice pictures I have heard that the reservation free coaches are the best as you can open the windows and the coaches also should run just behind the engine so that you can get nice pictures of the whole train.

RhB no longer use separate engines for the Bernina Express, it is a number of panorama coaches hauled by a high power multuple unit. There is a 1st class section in the 3-4 car units that haul panorama coaches, only the panorama coaches are reservable with the additional fees.

Badge +2

I plan to take the BE with Eurail 1st class and no additional reservation.

Does every BE train have a seperate non-reserved (and non-panoramic) normal section too? In particular, I want to take the 0828 Chur to Tirano direct train. 

It is sold out for res on the BE website, but no problem then if there definitely is a seperate train section.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes it has reservation-free coaches, see : https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=RhB&cislo=951&rok=2023

In the worst case that there is a last-minute change, you could also take the 08:58 train with connections in Samedan and Pontresina (all easy) and arrive in Tirano only 11 min later, at 13:00

Edit : sit at the very front of the train and you'll be able to see the cab ! There are pics on the above link

Hi,when I try to book a reservation in Bernina Express with my euro rail pass is shows invalid voucher.Kindly help me with the correct process

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Are you using this page ? https://shop.rhb.ch/en/bernina-express

If it doesn't work let us know the travel date (+ direction) and we'll have a look.

It's always possible to board this train using the reservation-free regular carriages at the front.

am traveling on 3 Jan 2024 from chure to Tirano.Portal is not going forward while paying. even after entering the required fields

is it required to enter the euro rail ticket number to reserve the seat?.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, you don't have to enter any pass number. Your pass will be checked onboard the train.

Maybe the website was/is under maintenance, it can happen regularly around midnight. Try a bit later.

Looks like there are only 3 seats left, none are window seats. Around Christmas and New Year is a really busy period.

If you wish to travel in one of the panorama carriage go for it but otherwise there are these 2 options :

- reservation-free carriages at the front : probably less busy, pull-down windows so better for pictures !

- hourly regional trains on the same route : either you change in Samedan and Pontresina (straightforward connections like usual in Switzerland) or you make the small detour via St. Moritz.

Questions welcome !

EDIT : I've also just tried booking so "my" seats won't be available for 15 min. Try a bit later.

Thanks a lot, it was some system issue,I have successfully reserved a seat.