Solved

New code for Interrail/Eurail discount with Stena Line

• 12 February 2023
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Camilo.

I just learnt that the valid code for getting the Interrail/Eurail discount at Stena Line is EURAIL2023 

On the benefit page the old and invalid code is shown. Can you please make sure that the benefit page is updated with the correct code ASAP?

icon

Best answer by Mukhammad 21 February 2023, 12:26

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Dear @AnnaB 

Thank you for the info. I have not hear anything from my colleagues. I will ask and update the info on the website. 

Have a nice day!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Camilo. I got the info in a Swedish FB group from a traveller who got the code from Stena Line. The traveller had used the code with success. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi @AnnaB,

We have got some good news to share: the contract with Stena Line is renewed, they are working on some technicalities, but Stena Line has confirmed a new discount code for Interrail and Eurail Pass holders. It is not yet available in an open access, but Stena Line's CS team shares it with the customers already. The new code is EURAIL2023.

I hope this information will be useful for you. Have a nice day!

Hi all! Thanks for this update! I wanted to use the EURAIL2023 code for booking a trip at Stena Line from Rostock to Trelleborg and back. However, it only gave me 12% discount instead of 30%, which is shown on the benefit page. Do you know what is the reason?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

My test booking showed discounts of around 25%:

23.50 → 17.50

18.50 → 14.00

28.50 → 21.00

This was for Rostock to Trelleborg on 28 March and return on 4 April.

Looking at the price information for the bottom one gave these details:

So it's 30% discount on the fare and no discount on the rest. If you booked any accommodation, that wouldn't be discounted either, as stated on the benefit page.

Hi all! Thanks for this update! I wanted to use the EURAIL2023 code for booking a trip at Stena Line from Rostock to Trelleborg and back. However, it only gave me 12% discount instead of 30%, which is shown on the benefit page. Do you know what is the reason?

Thanks for your help in advance!

You do get up to 30%, not 30% - I remember on this route it’s 30% in low season (if I remember right up to 15.06. and from 15.08.) and 20% in high season and it does only apply for the fare itself, not for cablns, the fuel surcharge and not for the environmental charge.

With your given discount, I assume you did look for a date in high summer and compared to the final prices including fee and surcharge.

Thanks for all the quick replies!

Indeed, I did not pay enough attention at the bottom of the benefit page, which states that accommodation is not discounted. “On overnight sailings accommodation may be compulsory and may not be discounted.” 

Also thank you for clarifying that the discount can differ from season to season. :)

Have a lovely day.

Note that this code is now out of date for any bookings for 2024.  It seems we need to wait for a new discount scheme for 2024 to be agreed between Interrail / Eurail and Stena, and a new discount code generated.  

Do be aware of this if thinking of making any Stena bookings over the next month or two.  

Needless to say, if anybody becomes aware of the new 2024 discount code, please share it here - you'll make a lot of people very grateful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Mukhammad @Camilo. any news on a new discount code?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

EURAIL2023 still works for January dates. Even though AFAIK the agreement finishes at the start of 2024.

Btw the Harwich - Hoek van Holland overnight ferry is written as sold out for foot passengers but when you add a car suddenly there’s space! :(

It’s also cheaper to travel with your car (2 people) than to travel as 2 foot passengers (without Interrail discount). Something’s wrong here… (there probably isn’t but it shouldn’t be that way in my opinion).

I can confirm that when I made a booking as a foot passenger for Harwich - Hoek a couple of weeks ago for travel in early February, I was able to make the booking fine in terms of availability.   However, I wasn't able to get a discount - I spoke to Stena (who were actually quite helpful), and they explained to me about the need for a new agreement to be concluded with Interrail / Eurail for 2024.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

EURAIL2023 still works for January dates. Even though AFAIK the agreement finishes at the start of 2024.

Btw the Harwich - Hoek van Holland overnight ferry is written as sold out for foot passengers but when you add a car suddenly there’s space! :(

It’s also cheaper to travel with your car (2 people) than to travel as 2 foot passengers (without Interrail discount). Something’s wrong here… (there probably isn’t but it shouldn’t be that way in my opinion).

What dates are you looking at?

One of the rotations has a much smaller replacement ship with about 20% of the normal cabin capacity for Jan and part of Feb.

it is on the night sailing from Hoek. It looks like they are not taking foot passengers on these at all, both due to the reduced capacity and the passenger gangways likely not lining up with an access point on the Stena Horizon.

As to the fares, I can’t see car fares that are cheaper for 2 but the difference is small enough on the dates I looked at. For 1 person foot passenger is much cheaper, for 3, 4 or 5 car can be considerably cheaper as the additional people in cars cost less than the foot passenger fare.

In general the foot passenger fares on routes to UK/Ireland are noticeably higher than other parts of Europe, the sail-rail offers can be good value though (the Dutch one was much better value before NS withdrew the “any Dutch station” portion).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I was looking at dates in mid-January so this explains it, thanks !

About fares : it was something like 120€ for 2 foot passengers vs 115€ for 2 people + car. Not a big difference but the foot passenger fare should be lower...

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Checking internally. The discount of 2023 will still work until the 31st of January 2024. 

Checking internally. The discount of 2023 will still work until the 31st of January 2024. 

Yes, that would be right - but only for travel which is also before the end of that date.   It won't work for bookings made now and for travel 1 February onwards (my case).  

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi all, 

Just to give a heads up. We are still waiting for some news from our partnerships manager. We hope the answer will come during next week. 

Merry Christmas!

Thanks, Camilo - hoping you'll be able to post said answer into this thread when it does come?

And in the meantime a fine Xmas to you too!

Hi. Just wondering if there'd been any progress on this, by any chance?  Still hoping to be able to use the discount in February…

Thanks in advance!!

Hi again. 

Is there any progress on this?  To be honest, I'm due to travel in a couple of weeks' time - Stena have said they will honour the discount and refund me the excess I have paid (i.e. the amount the discount would be) if there is a new discount code by then, but only if it is before the date of travel, and only if I give them the discount code. 

So to be honest, given I gather Stena won't however refund after the date of travel, if we don't hear anything soon, I will end up somewhat out of pocket.  Dare I say, that feels a little unfair given that the discount is advertised as a passholder benefit.  

I do hope somebody at Interrail / Eurail can help?

Thanks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi again. 

Is there any progress on this?  To be honest, I'm due to travel in a couple of weeks' time - Stena have said they will honour the discount and refund me the excess I have paid (i.e. the amount the discount would be) if there is a new discount code by then, but only if it is before the date of travel, and only if I give them the discount code. 

So to be honest, given I gather Stena won't however refund after the date of travel, if we don't hear anything soon, I will end up somewhat out of pocket.  Dare I say, that feels a little unfair given that the discount is advertised as a passholder benefit.  

I do hope somebody at Interrail / Eurail can help?

Thanks in advance

According to travellers in a Swedish FB group for train travellers, the new code is EURAIL2024

There should also be a link on the benefits page of Interrail/Eurail. 

Oh, thank you very much, Anna - much appreciated.  I shall give that a go straightaway. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

According to travellers in a Swedish FB group for train travellers, the new code is EURAIL2024

There should also be a link on the benefits page of Interrail/Eurail. 

I saw that code also mentioned elsewhere. The direct link to book is:

https://www.stenalinetravel.com/eurail-interrail