Solved

Outbound & incoming trips with one country passes

• 20 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone,

sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, I just couldn’t find it…

So, we live in Germany and are planning to get a One Country Pass for France to visit some friends in September. Can we use the pass for the outgoing train from Germany and the inbound train on our way back? I know this is possible with the Global Pass, just not sure about the One Country ones…

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 20 April 2023, 12:19

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A one country pass is only valid in that one country only, with very few exceptions, which are then mentioned on the specific page. The OCP for France is not valid anywhere in Germany.

First of all, thanks for the quick response!

It unfortunate that it is that way though as it means one must book a ticket (or travel) to the border on top of the pass itself…

Anyway, thanks again for your input ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A Global Pass doesn't cost much more so check whether it might be worth it even if you only travel through France and Germany

Keep in mind the mandatory seat reservations for the cross-border TGV/ICE (17€) or Thalys (32€)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I think I am correct that the only area where Germany and France have a border is by the Rhine towards Basle. Otherwise you have to cross Belgium as well.

An adult 4 day France pass is 230 euro, A 4 day Global pass which allows free travel across all participating countries and a max of 2 in Germany is only 258 Euro. A single fare from Cologne to Lille for example starts at about 60 euro (via Brussels) and goes up to as much as 130 euro.

A Thalys direct from Cologne to Paris with a pass would cost 32 euro reservation. 

The same train PAYG is between 100 and 130 euro single. 

So with a Global pass the total extra cost from Germany to Paris and return would be well under 100 euro and totally flexible. The Global pass has exactly the same freedom of use in France as the OCP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think I am correct that the only area where Germany and France have a border is by the Rhine towards Basle.

There are about half a dozen or so passenger rail lines from Germany into France. The main ones are Karlsruhe to Strasbourg and Strasbourg to Forbach, which are both used by the TGV/ICEs. The OCP is valid to the border exactly.