Reservations from Kolding (DK) to Vaduz (LI)

Badge +2
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 96 replies

Hi,

i was trying to book a train from Kolding ( dk ) to Vaduz ( li ) on interrail.eu ( Vaduz train station does not  exist for them ) and on bahn.de ( tere were many possible trains to choose from, but after confirming our dates of birth I got a message that I can not buy the tickets from Deutsche Bahn, but at least Vaduz station exists for them) .

We are 3 adults and a child ( 5 years old ).

Why can I not buy these tickets?

Any restriction for Danish citizens?

Kind regards Jack 

46 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Do you have interrail passes? What are the dates you will be travelling?

Without exact dates and times it's difficult to advise.

The station is called Schaan-Vaduz normally. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can travel this route without seat reservations, but I guess you want to make reservations so that you are sure that you can sit together. Reservations are also needed if you want to travel by night train. 

If you give your travel details, (route, departure date and time) you will get advice here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Note Vaduz does not have a train station, but Schaan (4 km away) does. However, Schaan is only served by local trains between Feldkirch (Austria) and Buchs (Switzerland) from Monday to Friday only. No service in weekends.

The DB travel planner is probably giving you an option including a bus from either Feldkirch, Buchs or Sargans. These buses do actually go to Vaduz and are far more frequent and not much slower than the train to Schaan, but those are not covered Interrail - you can however buy a separate ticket for them - I think I did so on board of the bus. I'd recommend you'd search for a journey to either Feldkirch, Buchs or Sargans, and check the bus timetables from those towns on liemobil.li.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The DB travel planner is probably giving you an option including a bus from either Feldkirch, Buchs or Sargans. These buses do actually go to Vaduz and are far more frequent and not much slower than the train to Schaan, but those are not covered Interrail - you can however buy a separate ticket for them - I think I did so on board of the bus.

Yes, you can. You can pay in euro and Swiss franc. The buses from Buchs and Feldkirch also serve Schaan-Vaduz station (Schaan Bahnhof); that station also functions as a node with connections in many directions every 15 minutes.

More info on bus services in/from/to Liechtenstein is here: https://liemobil.li/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In fact the Swiss PostBUses that also serve LIE till recently had very low fares-just 1 CHF/€, as LIE has money enough to subsidize the few visitors using buses and thus could hold the banner of being very eco-freundlich. But it has been raised as even the bankers  thought this was paying too much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In fact the Swiss PostBUses that also serve LIE till recently had very low fares-just 1 CHF/€, as LIE has money enough to subsidize the few visitors using buses and thus could hold the banner of being very eco-freundlich. But it has been raised as even the bankers  thought this was paying too much.

That must have been temporary. Normal fares start from CHF 2 and for international lines to/from Switzerland, there's a combined fare of Liechtenstein + Ostwind fare.

Badge +2

Thank you all for all your replies and help. I will try with Sargans.

My last experience with trains was in like 2004. 

So I have additional questions to you.

1. If I will be traveling on 1 day to Vaduz and then one week later back home to Kolding is it a good idea to buy interrail pass?
  2. Or maybe just single tickets for these 2 days?
  3. What is the best website to find the best train connections in Eu?
  4. I was looking on eurail map on interrail.eu. On that map one can choose cities in particular countries, e.g, in the Schweiz is only Bern. Does it mean , that with interrail pass one can only travel to or from Bern in Schweiz? I got very confused looking at this map

Regards Jack

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

A quick search gace me tickets for about 180 to 250 EUR (one way) for the four of you on a random monday next month, from Kolding to Sargans. Interrail wil cost at least as much per person, except for your child. 

1. I don't think so. A pass is only interesting if you do more trips (or if you're a bit last minute, sometimes it's the cheaper option). Check ordinary prices and your travel date and compare. Liechtenstein is not big, so if you plan daytrips to Switzerland or Austria you might get more value for money with interrail. 

2. Yes (see above)

3. Deutsche Bahn or SBB for your connection.

4. The map is very bad, and only depicts very few, very cliché destinations. Interrail validity should be seen per company. Check:  https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/railway-companies to know which companies are included. De facto 95% of all European trains ( of which some require seat reservations, but not on the route you'll be taking. Seat reservations are optional on IC and ICE. The rest of your trains doesn't even require reservations ) 

Badge +2

4. The map is very bad, and only depicts very few, very cliché destinations. Interrail validity should be seen per company. Check:  https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe/railway-companies to know which companies are included. De facto 95% of all European trains ( of which some require seat reservations, but not on the route you'll be taking. Seat reservations are optional on IC and ICE. The rest of your trains doesn't even require reservations ) 

Thank you very much for your prompt answer. it is very useful. 

1. Just to be sure that I understood correctly. It means that I should ignore the map and actually I can use the passes on all train stations serviced by the th companies from your link? 
  2. So if I buy a 7 days pass I can travel so many times during this period as I want? e.g. around Liechtenstein?
  3. If the train does not require seat reservation, is it still worth doing it,  are train nowadays generally full and it is hard to find a seat without reservation?      regards Jack
Badge +2

If you give your travel details, (route, departure date and time) you will get advice here.

Hi, thanks you for your answer. What do u mean here? By asking you or should there be a kind of link under here? cheers Jack

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here as here in the Community. There are lots of experienced travellers in the Community who have a lot of knowledge about traveling by train.

Using an Interrail pass for travels by train within Lichtenstein will not be worth the money of a travel day. The railway in Lichtenstein is 9,5 km long and has 4 stations.

Badge +2

Hi again,

I was just looking at different panoramic trains in Schweiz. Do you if they are included in these passes?

regards

Jack

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@viking if you state the dates and times you want to leave for Liechtenstein, we can tell you what option (ordinary tickets or interrail) is the most value for money. Prices can differ a lot on long distance trains.

To answer your next questions:

1. Yes, look at the companies, not the maps. More than 40000 stations can be reached with interrail. It's a real golden hyperflexible ticket! 

2. For example, but Liechtenstein is smaller than the average municipality, it's a micro state. So ordinary tickets will be cheaper anyhow. You won't pay 100 EUR to get from Vaduz to Nendeln 1,5 km away, more like 2 EUR 😅. A pass day is worth about 60 EUR for a 4 day flexible pass.

A 7day pass will be overkill for a week. But if you'lld combine  going to Liechtensteun and want to go for a day trip from Liechtenstein to Zürich, Innsbruck, Ulm or Sankt Moritz e.g.,a 4 day Interrail global pass will be good value for money! 2 days needed to get to/from Kolding to Liechtenstein and two days where you can do daytrips. But always compare to ordinary prices. It's not necessarily the cheapest option. But if you just spend a week in Liechtenstein without any daytrips, just stick with ordinary tickets :)

3. A lot of trains you cannot even reserve. If its wise to reserve on the ones where it's optional... Hmm, it really depends when you'll be travelling. So again, if you tell us when you want to make your trip to Liechtenstein, we can tell if you'lld better get seat reservations for Deutsche Bahn or not.

Fridays and Sunday evenings are usually busy on long distance trains. Same counts for long weekends and beginning and endings of holiday periods (like Christmas, Easter, or weekends during summer holidays). But if you travel off-peak on a random tuesday in the middle of February, you'll have all the place you want without reservations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi again,

I was just looking at different panoramic trains in Schweiz. Do you if they are included in these passes?

regards

Jack

Yes, but you require rather expensive reservations. Like the Glacier and Bernina express

You can do the same route, by ordinary reservation free regional trains that usually go every hour. Same route, same views :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi again,

regards

Jack

Yes, but you require rather expensive reservations. Like the Glacier and Bernina express

You can do the same route, by ordinary reservation free regional trains that usually go every hour. Same route, same views :) 

For the Bernina Express you can even ride with the same train as there always are reservation free coaches (right behind the engine if I remember correctly).

Badge +2

Hi again,

thank you very much, you are unbelievable, never been on a website, where one person can get so much help and so fast.

I just check on deutschebahn and on dsb.dk ( danish trains ) for the trip from Kolding to Sargans and for the exact same trains for 4 of us, the different between these 2 websites can be like 150 euro ( return ). But for me the biggest chock was, that the same route just 2 hours later or earlier can be much more cheaper or expensive ( like almost 500 euro ). Do you know how is it possible or maybe I make some mistake in search engine?

When I know the dates I will write to you asking for help finding the best option.

Just one more questions, are there still trains with berths, like a night trains? If yes, how to find out if the train has berths or not? We have one child , who only is 5 and can get bored over so long trip.

Cheers

jack

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I just check on deutschebahn and on dsb.dk ( danish trains ) for the trip from Kolding to Sargans and for the exact same trains for 4 of us, the different between these 2 websites can be like 150 euro ( return ). But for me the biggest chock was, that the same route just 2 hours later or earlier can be much more cheaper or expensive ( like almost 500 euro ). Do you know how is it possible or maybe I make some mistake in search engine?

Most likely, there's no mistake. Railways use yield management for long distance trains, so trains that are busier will be more expensive than quieter trains. In addition, DSB could use another system than DB (although I thought DSB were also booking via the DB system but I may be wrong). In any case, it's useful to compare prices on different websites and for different connections.

Just one more questions, are there still trains with berths, like a night trains? If yes, how to find out if the train has berths or not? We have one child , who only is 5 and can get bored over so long trip.

Yes there are, e.g. from Hamburg to Zurich would be interesting for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

or Hamburg to Innsbruck :D and then a nice ride across the Arlberg :D

Badge +2

For the Bernina Express you can even ride with the same train as there always are reservation free coaches (right behind the engine if I remember correctly).

Thanks again,

but how to find out which of these swiss expresses are covered by the interrail passes and which are not? So the free coaches are on every scheduled bernina express? What is then the different between free coaches and those requiring extra tickets? cheers

Badge +2

As I said in previous mail I was looking for train on different times on DB and DSB but how to find out if the trains offers berths? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks again,

but how to find out which of these swiss expresses are covered by the interrail passes and which are not? So the free coaches are on every scheduled bernina express? What is then the different between free coaches and those requiring extra tickets? cheers

The normal coaches without panoramic windows are without reservation. They are on the top of the train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As I said in previous mail I was looking for train on different times on DB and DSB but how to find out if the trains offers berths? 

If the train has the name Nightjet. But with nightjet it is not possible to book as one ticket from Denmark to Switzerland due to different booking pages. You get 2-3 tickets instead.

With Interrail you only need a reservation for the Nightjet (starting from 14€ for seats to Austria, seats to Switzerland run as normal Intercity train of DB, without reservation. Couchette end sleeper need a reservation in any case).

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks again,

On the page “Trains in Switzerland”, under “Scenic trains” you can click on the individual pages, where detailed conditions are given:

The page on the Bernina Express addresses your question: Look under "See how the trains compare".

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

All routes mentioned by @Schelte above are possible to travel without reservations.

Badge +2

the train has the name Nightjet.

Hi again , I tried again on db.de kolding-feldkirch and kolding - sargans on diffenrent dates in january and february and on different hours and got may results but no nightjet,

How to find these nightjet?

cheers Jack