Solved

Suddenly some Swiss trains are not valid anymore

Userlevel 2

Using the interrail pass in Switzerland in January and now again in March I must experience that some SBB trains e.g. between Kreuzlingen and Weinfelden, or Weinfelden-Winterthur are not bookable anymore

Lines which are marked as valid in the Swiss Interrail map Map of Switzerland_SBB.JPG (1124×795) (interrail.eu) can no longer be booked (and I booked them with my old pass in January):

But it worked beforehand, e.g. example from January:

and the exactly same train in March:

How could this happen and why is there no information about on the page that not all SBB trains are supported anymore or at least a current map of supported trains?

icon

Best answer by Mukhammad 7 March 2023, 14:05

View original

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Should be included, it is not a SBB train but a train of Thurbo about 90% SBB.

Maybe ask directly SBB/Thurbo for confirmation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just add them manually for now. This must be an error. It seems that trains operated by THURBO (owned by SBB and the Thurgau canton) have now been marked as "Not in pass network”. That is incorrect according to the latest map.

@Camilo. @Mukhammad could this please be fixed in the next update?

Userlevel 2

This is a reasonable answer. Unfortunately you cannot book in the app trains which are not included. You can save the trip but not activate the ticket... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

you can add trips manualy if they are wrong or missing.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

If it’s of any help I can confirm that I did this journey last Saturday when no reservations were required, passes were checked on this and also on the train from St Gallen to Chur with no problems. And every subsequent train in Switzerland for the next 4 days. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This is a reasonable answer. Unfortunately you cannot book in the app trains which are not included. You can save the trip but not activate the ticket... 

The app doesn't book anything. It just registers the trains you take. You can add any train manually by scrolling down on the results page of the planner and tapping on "Add it manually”.

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/articles/9512647364893-Private-lines-in-Switzerland-operated-by-Thurbo-not-included-

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Unglaublich.

Ich habe gleich mal bei Thurbo nachgefragt:
https://www.facebook.com/thurbo.ch

Hoffentlich kommt da schnell eine Antwort.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes it would seem very very strange

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

What the…. I am living near that area and frequently using Thurbo trains. Hope that’s not true. Makes no sense in my opinion… this lines are of no touristic interest (I mean compared to Glacier Express and so on) 

hope this turns out as a misunderstanding 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

wouldnt be surprised since thurbo is crap. they put 2+3 seats per row in their narrow carriages, and they are also uncomfortable wooden just dressed into textile. Also, they often violate the safety rules, and also leave stations too early from time to time.

one should try to avoid Thurbo whenever possible.

(but I also think that it is an error of the app)

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, the news that Thurbo is not included in the Pass network has been informed by my superiors on February 17th, 2023. This was announced to my company that SBB eventually wants to include Thurbo into the Pass network, but for now the customers have to buy p2p tickets for these trains.

Therefore, after that there's an article created with further details, as mentioned by @Hektor.

I'm really sorry for this inconvenience. Wish you a nice weekend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Mukhammad @Camilo. 

The Thurbo customer service on Facebook writes that Interrail is valid and will remain valid in their trains. They also included the current map with the area of validity for Switzerland (from December 2022), which is the reference for them.

Could you please check again? Could you also please put the current validity map on the Interrail and Eurail websites? They still show the old map from December 2021.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Mukhammad @Camilo. 

The Thurbo customer service on Facebook writes that Interrail is valid and will remain valid in their trains. They also included the current map with the area of validity for Switzerland (from December 2022), which is the reference for them.

Could you please check again? Could you also please put the current validity map on the Interrail and Eurail websites? They still show the old map from December 2021.

Hello @rvdborgt,

There must be something up! I have reported this case to the relevant team, including the Swiss validity map on both websites.

We will keep you posted for it!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Mukhammad @Camilo. 

Hello @rvdborgt,

There must be something up! I have reported this case to the relevant team, including the Swiss validity map on both websites.

Hi @Mukhammad Can you please publish the communication from Thurbo to Eurail Group where they announced that Interrail won’t be accepted anymore?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Mukhammad @Camilo. 

Hello @rvdborgt,

Hi @Mukhammad Can you please publish the communication from Thurbo to Eurail Group where they announced that Interrail won’t be accepted anymore?

Hi @runner.on.rails,

Unfortunately I just received an internal communication with my superiors. In this case, I don't think I have the authority to announce it here. I'm really sorry for it 🙇🏻

We will need to wait until the relevant team is answering about this case.

Thanks for your understanding!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Mukhammad @Camilo. 

Hello @rvdborgt,

Hi @Mukhammad Can you please publish the communication from Thurbo to Eurail Group where they announced that Interrail won’t be accepted anymore?

Hi @runner.on.rails,

Unfortunately I just received an internal communication with my superiors. In this case, I don't think I have the authority to announce it here. I'm really sorry for it 🙇🏻

@Mukhammad Ok, Im fine with not publishing the communication from Thurbo in plain text. But can you please confirm that Thurbo communicated to Eurail Group that Interrail won’t be accepted anymore?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Mukhammad @Camilo. 

Hello @rvdborgt,

Hi @runner.on.rails,

@MukhammadOk, Im fine with not publishing the communication from Thurbo in plain text. But can you please confirm that Thurbo communicated to Eurail Group that Interrail won’t be accepted anymore?

Hi @runner.on.rails,

Please rest assured your request has been reported to the relevant team. I'm afraid we can only wait until they answer to me about this case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thurbo's Facebook team has confirmed they are doing the best they can to get this corrected as soon as possible.

Summary:

Nothing has changed since last year with regards to Interrail/Eurail validity in Thurbo trains.

Userlevel 2

I contacted also per email Thurbo and SBB in parallel. Thurbo wrote me (translated):

“Thank you very much for your request. We are very pleased to receive this information and will intervene with the relevant departments of Inter/Eurail.
We can clearly deny that Thurbo no longer accepts Inter or Eurrail tickets. It is correct: we are still part of the network and accept Interrail and Eurail tickets. We are therefore still very happy to welcome passengers from Switzerland and abroad on all our trains. Even pets up to the size of a dog :-)
We wish you a nice spring, a good journey and above all the best of health.”

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I contacted also per email Thurbo and SBB in parallel. Thurbo wrote me (translated):

“Thank you very much for your request. We are very pleased to receive this information and will intervene with the relevant departments of Inter/Eurail.
We can clearly deny that Thurbo no longer accepts Inter or Eurrail tickets. It is correct: we are still part of the network and accept Interrail and Eurail tickets. We are therefore still very happy to welcome passengers from Switzerland and abroad on all our trains. Even pets up to the size of a dog :-)
We wish you a nice spring, a good journey and above all the best of health.”

Hello @inrareich, @runner.on.rails@rvdborgt and everyone,

I have an update from my superiors about this case. Apparently, it turns out that Thurbo trains are included in the Pass network after all. Our department will release an update about this case .

I am really sorry for this misinformation.

Thank you guys for flagging this matter.

Userlevel 2

Thank you @Mukhammad for this quick and excellent support in this case!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In the Swiss press: "Interrail schliesst Thurbo-Züge aus – Thurbo weiss nichts davon”

https://www.20min.ch/story/interrail-schliesst-thurbo-zuege-aus-thurbo-weiss-nichts-davon-329387872112

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In the Swiss press: "Interrail schliesst Thurbo-Züge aus – Thurbo weiss nichts davon”

https://www.20min.ch/story/interrail-schliesst-thurbo-zuege-aus-thurbo-weiss-nichts-davon-329387872112

Apparently there has been some communication problems somewhere. 

Userlevel 2

Eurail support wrote me today that the Eurail planning software will be updated tomorrow thus everybody could use the blocked trains again. We will see...