Solved

Timetable information for Spain

• 13 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello all,

Can anybody suggest a reliable source for timetable information for Spain? I have been using RENFE, and not finding much to suit my schedule, and then I decided to try DB and RailEurope, and found many more options listed.

RENFE does not seems to list connecting trains (eg Apr 24 Madrid-Granada only shows 3 AVE services, but DB/RE show additional connecting trains via Cordoba, yes, would need two reservations) and does not list local trains (eg Apr 29 El Chorro - Malaga) at all.

Very happy to use DB as a source of timetable information if it’s reliable.

Also, I saw a post that said that seat reservations for Spain could be done via DB. I haven’t found a way to do this, get reservation not possible message. Is this still possible? Not a major problem as I will have done to make reservations while in Spain.

Thanks

George

icon

Best answer by Angelo 13 February 2023, 10:49

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, the timetable data via DB bahn.com is what RENFE sends to other train companies. It can be good data, but could also be not correct. To plan I would use DB, and you can do a last check via RENFE website, some trains can be checked only via the RENFE website of this service, like for local trains of some places. 

About booking, via DB it is only possible at DB Ticket Offices in Germany or at RENFE Ticket Offices in Spain. It is not possible to book online. RENFE has stopped Eurail to sell it online via their reservation service. 

Many thanks @Angelo 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

For rough global advance planning (how often, how long, see if RES needed, etc.) bahn.com is OK, if not best. Then check a week o 2 before trip via RENFE.

The RES as has been told here so many times can only be done when in ES @ counter and alas, nearly all trains DO need RES. There are also in most cases NO ALT via slower regional trains.

ES /RENFE also has a special thing for its around all main cities Cercanias (rodalies in Catalunya-long viva own language!) suburban routes and these are on NO rail planner at all-only via specific settings on RENFE. They do cover in some cases substantial distances from MAd or Bcn. In other cities hardly of any interest for the normal tourist. They also have pesky Gates which need special assistance to pass-will of course not work with pass.

IN Catalunya are also 2 sets of other non-RENFE regional networks that do not accept any pass- these are called FGC. ON some of the hi-speed lines are now also lower cost other competitors-also not taking passes, only their own online bookings. More are to follow.

ESpana is high on the list of many a new passholder-not yet realising its a PITA for travel with pass. But if they would not do it this way, in hi-summer all trenes would be full 125% with passholders-there are not that many services and trenes also not that long=not many seats.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

ESpana is high on the list of many a new passholder-not yet realising its a PITA for travel with pass. But if they would not do it this way, in hi-summer all trenes would be full 125% with passholders-there are not that many services and trenes also not that long=not many seats.

Surely RENFE can do it another way.

There is a very large gap between the current RENFE pass reservations policy and implementing mandatory reservations in a passenger-friendly way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Surely RENFE can do it another way.

There is a very large gap between the current RENFE pass reservations policy and implementing mandatory reservations in a passenger-friendly way.

They seem to be able to do it online, with their own product. The Renfe Spain Pass. It’s just willfull obstruction of everything interrail.

Out of curiosity, did anyone use these Renfe Spain Passes before?