Trains in Italy

• 21 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

My route from Naples to Florence doesn’t show on the Trainitlaia site, but still show in the interrail app. I usually look in the official sites to check trains are on time but am I using the correct site to be checking this if it’s not showing? 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You want to travel Napoli - Firenze without paying for reservations I guess?

You need to search for the three trains individually, or it will show the much quicker Frecciarossa.

For me, it’s certainly worth paying €10 for a direct Frecciarossa that takes 3h, vs three regional trains taking 9h, or have I misunderstood?

Hello Ellie, 

You’re looking in the right place but the difference is in the direct (HST - High Speed Trains) and the regional trains. The trains selected on your rail planner app are regional trains that don’t require additional seat reservations on the pass that you’re using. 

I checked on the eurail website and the Trenitalia trains are listed there as well as the ones you are looking at with seat reservations being the differentiating factor. The Trentitalia website probably doesn’t show the trains you chose as they may be a combination which includes trains run by different operators. They don’t have the same schedule you have chosen that starts at 8.20 am. They have a 7 am and a 9.35 am set of regional trains and connections.

Trenitalia regional trains options.

Trains that require additional seat reservations. 
Trains that don’t require seat reservations on your pass

The trains were all on time based on the schedule provided on the rail planner app (I used it AUG through OCT 2022). You could check google maps as well. The information was rather accurate on there in terms of train timings. 

I hope this helps :)

My route from Naples to Florence doesn’t show on the Trainitlaia site, but still show in the interrail app. I usually look in the official sites to check trains are on time but am I using the correct site to be checking this if it’s not showing? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As mentioned in previous answers planners are not the same as timetables, which shows a much fuller range of trains operating between A and B.

Here for example is a link to the LNER timetable for all its services from London to Inverness and all other stations it serves. As you will see it is comprehensive and you can mix and match with stops, easily see which are direct trains, which stop where and even with a bit of searching on their site there is one that shows what catering is on each of their trains (included for first class passengers.)

https://www.lner.co.uk/globalassets/lner_december-may_2023_timetable_guide-min.pdf

Searching with planners (from any source) will only show you what it calculates as the best combination in line with your preferences. 

It is even more complex now that there are parallel lines with original tracks with multipole stops and a high speed line with very few stops. So the trains you were searching for operate with many regional stops, where the Freccia (High Speed) trains operate alongside on new tracks and only stop at major cities. So from Salerno to Venice the high speed line only stops at Naples, Rome, Florence, Bologna, Ferrara, Padova and Venice.

To do it without reservations there are also direct trains from Rome to Florence 

As you can see there are 16 stops.