Solved

Travelling during strikes/refunds

• 29 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi folks-

Probably a common thread at the moment, but I am travelling next wednesday 5th and Thursday 6th through France.

Im meant to be heading into Paris on the Eurostar at 16:22 getting in at 19:57 on wednesday 5th,

and Im then meant to be heading on the high speed train from Paris Gare du Lyon to Zurich on Thursday at 07:15.

Is it possible to predict whether these routes will be affected?

If not and it ends up being wiser to get alternative transport through France, can I get refund on the reservation costs of these journeys? If so, how do i go about doing that?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 29 March 2023, 16:57

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Reservation refund policies are dependent on where you bought them and their terms and conditions.

Eurostar allows changes but there is a fee. (I believe this can be done online) but given you are heading towards Easter there may not be any availability.

To avoid France you could consider E* to Brussels and then via Frankfurt and Basel. But again you are heading towards Easter and all trains will be busy.

Eurostar seems to be running most if not all trains (Check their website for issues), I understand SNCF are publishing a daily update at 1700 of trains running the following day.

Badge

Thanks for this. I actually had a check on the TGV Lyria website and they have updated lots of their train info for the coming weeks and seemingly ours is due to run. Do you think this info is reliable?

Similarly it seems that the Eurostar will also be running too, so fingers crossed we won’t be affected too badly!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I am sure you will be checking the sites regularly, but I am sure you will be looked after well by the operators if there are changes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservation refund policies are dependent on where you bought them and their terms and conditions.

If your train is cancelled, then the commercial refund/exchange conditions and any pass holder quota don't apply. Instead, you're entitled to a free exchange or a full refund.

For the most up to date information on travel in France download 'SNCF Connect' app for news regards disruptions etc it has English support or you can use same in Google chrome and translate to any language. For specific stations in France use the 'Ma Gare SNCF' app (only in french) for real-time information on the day of travel. Having recently been stuck in Perpignan with no ticket machines working (wouldn't accept my visa debit or Mastercard issued in Ireland for seat reservations) or any ticket office people on the 28 March during the recent strike/protest. It delayed my trip by a day getting to Italy from Spain. If there's any known upcoming disruption you my get notifications from the railplanner app if you have it installed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

. If there's any known upcoming disruption you my get notifications from the railplanner app if you have it installed.

The Railplanner is not online and will not give any notification regarding delays or cancellations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

. If there's any known upcoming disruption you my get notifications from the railplanner app if you have it installed.

The Railplanner is not online and will not give any notification regarding delays or cancellations.

They do send push notifications about big disruptions, such as nationwide strikes.

@AnnaB 

Thanks for clarifying regards push notifications from rail planner app you are correct. I got a notification through it prior to starting my trip