Trip from Paris to Barcelona

Hi! I want to travel from paris to barcelona and I am not sure whether I should be buying a one country pass or a global pass. 

One of the scheduled trains tells me that if I have a one country pass I need to buy the ticket separately

while the other scheduled time does not have any instruction whatsoever

I am a bit confused because the train travels across countries. I do not need a globa pass I am just taking this train

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For the TGV Paris - Barcelona, since 11/12/2022, a pass valid in France is enough to be eligible for a pass reservation:

https://public-pf.b-europe.com/en/Producten/Details?id=bb6a5f22-c6a5-43e9-98bc-2b85baa6c5f1

The remark about the "separate ticket” is confusing and should be changed to reflect the fact that you need a pass that covers at least France. And it should be mentioned for both TGVs.

@Camilo. @Mukhammad could you please have this corrected?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do note that if you're only making this journey, then a normal ticket will normally be cheaper.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

For the TGV Paris - Barcelona, since 11/12/2022, a pass valid in France is enough to be eligible for a pass reservation:

https://public-pf.b-europe.com/en/Producten/Details?id=bb6a5f22-c6a5-43e9-98bc-2b85baa6c5f1

The remark about the "separate ticket” is confusing and should be changed to reflect the fact that you need a pass that covers at least France. And it should be mentioned for both TGVs.

To be honest, can we trust that SNCB page? As far as I know (the default) the one country France pass is only valid within France, and nowhere else they mention that it's valid to Barcelona.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

To be honest, can we trust that SNCB page? As far as I know (the default) the one country France pass is only valid within France, and nowhere else they mention that it's valid to Barcelona.

This is the official tariff information for Belgian railways’ ticket offices and telesales ("product sheets”), and they also function as special terms and conditions for international carriage (that's why they're public). Belgian railways do not make this up; they get the info from SNCF (in this case). They sometimes forget to update but this one is brand new, from December. So I'm inclined to believe the information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Same rules (only valid in France) are for Pass users with the TGV InOui to Milan (SNCF train in Italy) and TGV to Freiburg (SNCF train in Germany, not part of DB-SNCF coop.). 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

How are we supposed to know this? And how can SNCF staff on those trains know (given they will probably be listed as only valid in France)?

In this case especially given that the app for one of them explicitly mentions a global pass is required? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

The route Paris - Barcelona is only possible with a Global Pass, therefore the message shown to @solta. The App won’t let you add a trip Paris Barcelona if you have a one country Pass. We could not show a message saying that the Pass must cover at least France, because in fact the Pass must cover both countries. Please let me know if I am not understanding your point. 

Have a nice day! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Camilo. The point is that the B-europe product conditions explicitly state that a pass covering France only is also acceptable for this route since SNCF stopped collaborating with Renfe and ran these services on their own.

As @Angelo mentions, this is also the case on the SNCF TGV's to Freiburg and Milan, which as far as I know are run as open access services in respectively Germany and Italy.

For Barcelona, b-europe explicitly states: "Adults or children in possession of a EURAIL or INTERRAIL PASS covering at least the French network."

For Freiburg, b-europe mentions: "Adults in possession of a valid Eurailpass, Interrail Pass or Pass France Rail valid for the day of the travel, covering the entire French route."

For Milan: "Adults in possession of a valid Eurail or Interrail pass validated for the day of the journey, covering at least the French part of the journey."

For other tgv's it explicitly states a pass is required "covering the entire TGV journey".

It is also weird only one of the two daily tgv's to Barcelona explicitly mentions the requirement for global passes.

Either way, this does need some clarifying, whether a France pass is or isn't acceptable to use these services.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Camilo. The point is that the B-europe product conditions explicitly state that a pass covering France only is also acceptable for this route since SNCF stopped collaborating with Renfe and ran these services on their own.

As @Angelo mentions, this is also the case on the SNCF TGV's to Freiburg and Milan, which as far as I know are run as open access services in respectively Germany and Italy.

For Barcelona, b-europe explicitly states: "Adults or children in possession of a EURAIL or INTERRAIL PASS covering at least the French network."

Dear @Schelte 

This might cause confusion since only the One Country pass France won’t be valid on this route. Our reservation portal works together with Silverrail on this particular route. Under the conditions, you can see this info: “International day trains, Carrier: RENFE-SNCF Cooperation
a. The customer needs to hold a Global Pass or One Country Pass valid in all countries” The whole document is found here: Silverrail terms and conditions 2021.pdf (interrail.eu)

We will raise this issue with B-Europe, so they can include this info on their website for all routes. 

Have a nice day! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Dear @Schelte 

This might cause confusion since only the One Country pass France won’t be valid on this route. Our reservation portal works together with Silverrail on this particular route. Under the conditions, you can see this info: “International day trains, Carrier: RENFE-SNCF Cooperation
a. The customer needs to hold a Global Pass or One Country Pass valid in all countries” The whole document is found here: Silverrail terms and conditions 2021.pdf (interrail.eu)

We will raise this issue with B-Europe, so they can include this info on their website for all routes. 

Have a nice day! 

Dear @Camilo. This information is outdated since the Renfe-SNCF cooperation ceased to exist last December. The trains are now operated by SNCF only.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A similar case exist with DE=Germany 1 country-is also valid on a few ICE routes going out of DE that run as DB-only: like to BRU (and I think also that coop with OeBB into Italy via Brennero).

That the app is often seriously incorrect should be known to camilo now-look at he many who use SNCF to reach Basel (which once used to have a special corner for FRench trains-with passp controls etc.). Or even just to go to Ventimiglia from Nice/Menton on the local PACA/TER-trains.

But it is not the 1st time that railfans know better as railway-officials.

Someone above asked about conductors: in FR TGV there often are no checks at all, when there are such gates. And the cond. in general only wants to see the RES-which should sate to/fro, date etc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

A similar case exist with DE=Germany 1 country-is also valid on a few ICE routes going out of DE that run as DB-only: like to BRU (and I think also that coop with OeBB into Italy via Brennero).

Yes - but this is clearly stated on the corresponding page: https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/german-rail-pass For Switzerland, there is this map which indicates that for instance the lines via Domodossola (including the FART) are included but for instance the direct Basel-Schaffhausen train is not. For the France pass, there is no such page or map or list or anything, so logically the rule follows that only domestic journeys are included.

That the app is often seriously incorrect should be known to camilo now-look at he many who use SNCF to reach Basel (which once used to have a special corner for FRench trains-with passp controls etc.). Or even just to go to Ventimiglia from Nice/Menton on the local PACA/TER-trains.

As far as I’m aware, you cannot head to Basel or Ventimiglia with an Interrail France pass either. Or at least, that’s not mentioned anywhere. If you cross these borders, you need either a Global Pass or both a One Country Pass France and a One Country Pass Switzerland resp. Italy. I guess most people crossing these borders using Interrail will have a Global Pass, which is not the problem.

But it is not the 1st time that railfans know better as railway-officials.

Someone above asked about conductors: in FR TGV there often are no checks at all, when there are such gates. And the cond. in general only wants to see the RES-which should sate to/fro, date etc.

I asked about how train managers could know that a pass valid in France was also accepted for these cross-border connections. I have travelled enough on TGV's in France to know they do actually check on board too, and my pass was also checked the last time I travelled from Barcelona to Paris. I doubt pointing them to the B-Europe page would convince them, so I wondered whether there was either an SNCF or Interrail page explaining this exception (to the rule that a One country pass is only valid within a country).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As far as I’m aware, you cannot head to Basel or Ventimiglia with an Interrail France pass either.

Not to Ventimiglia, but certainly to Basel SBB. That has always been possible and is (or was?) implemented incorrectly in the app. Just like Basel Bad Bf, which can be reached with a pass valid in Germany, and which has only recently been corrected in the app.

I asked about how train managers could know that a pass valid in France was also accepted for these cross-border connections. I have travelled enough on TGV's in France to know they do actually check on board too, and my pass was also checked the last time I travelled from Barcelona to Paris. I doubt pointing them to the B-Europe page would convince them, so I wondered whether there was either an SNCF or Interrail page explaining this exception (to the rule that a One country pass is only valid within a country).

Since Belgian railways get their information about such things from SNCF, I expect SNCF staff to know this. If not, then any extra costs are for Belgian railways (if I buy a reservation through them), since they're legally bound by by their tariff information.

But it would be far better if the Interrail website would also mention this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Ventimiglia is the border station, and SNCF trains end there. It should be included in the French One Country Pass. It is not like in Aachen where DB get operator for the last small part on the local trains from Belgium. 

Same for Modane, where the One Country Pass Italy is valid to. Only problem is there are no local trains to Modane from Italy and the Frecciarossa is not more usable for rides in Italy (including Modane-Italy). The TGV will not accept it?

I think Trenitalia hates virtual border stations. The only one I know are on the new line between Varese and Switzerland (operated by Trenord) and on the line Trieste-Ljubljana, but only for the Eurocity of ÖBB-SZ. Trenitalia and SZ change fare at Villa Opicina on the local trains and not at Villa Opicina (GR) or is it (fr)?. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

As far as I’m aware, you cannot head to Basel or Ventimiglia with an Interrail France pass either.

Not to Ventimiglia, but certainly to Basel SBB. That has always been possible and is (or was?) implemented incorrectly in the app. Just like Basel Bad Bf, which can be reached with a pass valid in Germany, and which has only recently been corrected in the app.

To Basel, I understand it is historically also a SNCF station and I can imagine it being a French tariff point. But is this mentioned somewhere? Is this also the case for TGV Lyria to Basel?

But it would be far better if the Interrail website would also mention this.

Exactly, or an SNCF website. I wasn’t planning on buying a France pass, but if I would know I can travel with it to Barcelona, Milan and Basel I would think the pass is more attractive.

Ventimiglia is the border station, and SNCF trains end there. It should be included in the French One Country Pass. It is not like in Aachen where DB get operator for the last small part on the local trains from Belgium. 

Same for Modane, where the One Country Pass Italy is valid to. Only problem is there are no local trains to Modane from Italy and the Frecciarossa is not more usable for rides in Italy (including Modane-Italy). The TGV will not accept it?

I think Trenitalia hates virtual border stations. The only one I know are on the new line between Varese and Switzerland (operated by Trenord) and on the line Trieste-Ljubljana, but only for the Eurocity of ÖBB-SZ. Trenitalia and SZ change fare at Villa Opicina on the local trains and not at Villa Opicina (GR) or is it (fr)?. 

Another virtual border station with Italy is from Austria: San Candido / Innichen (Gr).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

AFAIK it's still SNCF until the border tariff point Ventimiglia(fr) and Trenitalia from there to Ventimiglia:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenztarifpunkt#Franz%C3%B6sische_Grenztarifpunkte

The DB planner also still mentions it (in text mode). The rail planner app too. That probably means that the involved operators include it in their timetables for some reason, for example for fare calculation.

If would be a lot more practical though to have the border tariff point in Ventimiglia station.

Same for Modane, where the One Country Pass Italy is valid to.

There's still Modane(fr).

Villa Opicina(Gr) according to the DB planner, for all trains.

To Basel, I understand it is historically also a SNCF station and I can imagine it being a French tariff point.

It is indeed.

But is this mentioned somewhere?

Interrail one country passes have always been valid to the border tariff points (virtual or in a station) but the implementation in the rail planner app has been… sketchy. For example, only since recently the app finally accepts Chiasso (in Switzerland) as a valid station for the OCP Italy.

Is this also the case for TGV Lyria to Basel?

Good question. Since TGV Lyria is operated by SNCF and SBB, I think it's safe to assume that they change operator in Basel SBB. On the other hand, the SNCF reservation fees to Basel are scandalous, quite different from the domestic fees.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Dear @Schelte 

Have a nice day! 

Dear @Camilo. This information is outdated since the Renfe-SNCF cooperation ceased to exist last December. The trains are now operated by SNCF only.

Dear @Camilo., can you check the validity of the France pass elsewhere on these international routes? Renfe-SNCF no longer exists, so I don't think you get those reservations under those conditions.

As you can see on this thread there is quite some confusion, and I'm certain that if the validity actually also covers Barcelona, Milan, Basel, ... the pass might be quite attractive (despite the expensive reservations to those destinations). Would it be possible to suggest creating a dedicated page for it, just as there is for the German rail pass? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Dear @Schelte 

Have a nice day! 

Dear @Camilo. This information is outdated since the Renfe-SNCF cooperation ceased to exist last December. The trains are now operated by SNCF only.

Dear @Camilo., can you check the validity of the France pass elsewhere on these international routes? Renfe-SNCF no longer exists, so I don't think you get those reservations under those conditions.

As you can see on this thread there is quite some confusion, and I'm certain that if the validity actually also covers Barcelona, Milan, Basel, ... the pass might be quite attractive (despite the expensive reservations to those destinations). Would it be possible to suggest creating a dedicated page for it, just as there is for the German rail pass? 

Hi @Schelte 

I agree indeed, it would be very attractive and interesting for our customers. I will forward your feedback to my superiors. 

Have a nice weekend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Do we have any confirmation that One-country France passes are accepted ? It'll be very useful to know for a lot of people this summer I'm sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do we have any confirmation that One-country France passes are accepted ? It'll be very useful to know for a lot of people this summer I'm sure.

Yes we do. I regard the information from Belgian railways, as I cited above, and which they got fresh from SNCF, as sufficient. But it would be good if the Interrail and Eurail websites and the booking module could finally be updated to take this into account.

@Mukhammad @Camilo. What's the status on this? I see the pages about the "Renfe-SNCF en Cooperatión high-speed train”, which does not exist anymore, still have not been adapted and still display incorrect and outdated information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Okay that's great news !

As 1-day One-country passes exist for Eurail, it might be useful to use that "trick" for the Barcelona TGV

-  87$ 1-day One-country Pass France

- 35+2€ seat reservation

Which is in fact often cheaper than a regular ticket...