Solved

Using Global Eurail in the UK

• 28 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone,

I will travelling from London Waterloo to Staines (and vice versa) via South Western Railway. I have checked that the companies included in the Eurail Global pass coverage. However I am wondering if there is any barrier to enter the platform? And if yes, I don't think there is any QR code scanner on the barrier (i might be wrong). What is the best way to pass the barrier?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by cdwatkins19 28 December 2022, 14:09

View original

6 replies

Badge +5

Enter your journey on your pass. Then ask a staff member to let you through. I don’t know if the QR code will open the gates. In UK if the gates are in use staff need to be nearby. You won’t have any trouble.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In GB ALWays have to use-of there are, the gate with staff. As do in fact stil many tix een sold in GB!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Some GB gates can now read the QR codes, I've read multiple references to it over the past few months.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

UK stations are steadily converting the gates to optical readers as well as the RFID or mechanical ticket scanners we have traditionally used. We saw the same on the local stations in the Costa Del Sol a few weeks ago where a few gates have been modified to read the QR codes on the Abonos (free passes).

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Some GB gates can now read the QR codes, I've read multiple references to it over the past few months.

Out of interest where did you read that?

I had practically given up on them programming them properly as it has been years since optical scanners were introduced and they still wouldn’t read Britrail passes which use their own coding which is a different format than that used for Interrail.

It is certainly progress if they are finally correctly reading interrail passes although there are a number of areas of the network where optical scanners are still not installed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Out of interest where did you read that?

IIRC in the Facebook group.