Solved

What to do in Genova, Italy

• 29 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I’ll be spending 2-4 hours in Genova (depending which train I decide to catch), and was wondering what anyone who has been would recommend doing there and seeing there. I don’t mind walking and usually opt for the cheapest/free things to do and see. 

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 29 March 2023, 20:04

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As a cruise terminal we have spent many hours in Geno(v)a. We always head for the tourist part of the harbor complex below the narrow streets. 

Check out the map as there are 2 stations. Most inbound and outbound trains call at both stations, but unless you want the shops/market leave at Genoa Piazza Principe. For shops start at Brignole and walk up the hill.

It is about 10 min walk along the front from Piazza Principe station to the main entrance past the submarine and then past the pirate ship. If you have time check out the Eataly store on the first floor of a warehouse just inside the harbour. It is a mixture of an Italian deli store and a pizzeria overlloking the harbour.

From there you can go up the old town towards the cathedral and to the fountain square. From there you can walk down the parade of shops to Brignole station.

Take a good map and you will be fine. This is just a small part of what Genoa can offer but for that you need a few days to acclimatise and keep your bearings. As you see in the map it is horseshoe shaped.