Solved

1st class worth during winter?

• 22 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello everyone,

I'm slowly planning my trip in Europe. Since there's nice promotion I have doubts if is worth to pay extra for 1st class.

I'm going to travel in January and February. 3-5 days of pass I'll probably use for Scandinavian country, rest probably for South of the Europe and 1 day I'm planning to for night train for my return.

To be honest I never ride a train for long distance during the winter. Last year during summer I used 7 days to trip in West Europe, but it was 2nd class.

More specific questions:

1. You guys think is worth to pay extra for 1st class?

2. Seat reservations fee is same like in 2nd class? 

3. What happens if I'll have 2nd class ticket and I book seat for 1st class? 

4. How occupied are the trains in Scandinavians countries especially during the winter.

5. Night train with couchettes/sleeper have different for 1st/2nd class and can I book it?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 22 November 2023, 21:48

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

1. You guys think is worth to pay extra for 1st class?

Depends on the trains you'll be taking. In long-distance trains, it's generally worth the extra money.

2. Seat reservations fee is same like in 2nd class? 

Mostly yes, sometimes a bit more expensive (for some international TGVs), sometimes for free (optional reservations via ÖBB).

3. What happens if I'll have 2nd class ticket and I book seat for 1st class? 

You'll most likely be fined.

4. How occupied are the trains in Scandinavians countries especially during the winter.

That's too vague for a meaningful answer.

In general, busy around weekends from/to skiing areas.

5. Night train with couchettes/sleeper have different for 1st/2nd class and can I book it?

You can often book all night train accommodation with a 2nd class pass. If you want to know more, please specify the night trains you're looking at.

That's too vague for a meaningful answer.

In general, busy around weekends from/to skiing areas.

I'm not really sure how long I'll spend in Scandinavians countries,  it might be less than 2 weeks total, the longest travel I'll try to take during weekend.

Since I didn't plan much yet I will say that 2 trips will be during weekend (expecting lot of people of course) and 2-3 during weekday morning-afternoon.

damianekp321 wrote:

You can often book all night train accommodation with a 2nd class pass. If you want to know more, please specify the night trains you're looking at.

For that I'll need to have more specific plan, but I think one will be Warsaw - Munich.

Thank you so much for your all answers, definitely helped me a lot to decide.

Last one, how is mobile connection in Scandinavians countries on I'll say most popular destinations? Or maybe is there a WiFi connection?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For that I'll need to have more specific plan, but I think one will be Warsaw - Munich.

2nd class will most likely be enough.

Last one, how is mobile connection in Scandinavians countries on I'll say most popular destinations? Or maybe is there a WiFi connection?

In Norway, there was mobile coverage almost everywhere. Many trains in Scandinavia have wifi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Swedish school children have a week of holiday in February, different parts of the country have different weeks. Many night trains in weekends of week 7, 8 and 9 are already fully booked. 

Oh I was doing some itinerary and found out that I cannot go by train to Finland. Is there any way or boat/plane are the only options?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Here is some info from interrailwiki.eu :

NORTH SWEDEN

No international trains. But you can take a train to Tornio and walk to Haaparanta/Haparanda (Sweden). It’s about 4-5 km walk. There is one hour difference between Finnish and Swedish time zones, so be aware of that. Trains stop more often in Kemi than in Tornio. Free bus between Kemi and Tornio available: https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/bus-services-in-finland/ There is also bus services from Finland to Sweden, Tornio (FI) – Haparanda (SWE) – Luleå (SWE): https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/bus-network-in-sweden/

SOUTH SWEDEN

Take a night ferry from Turku or Helsinki to Stockholm, Sweden. Interrail discounts available, ferry with own cabin starts at about 25€. Use Benefits portal and select ‘Ferries’ as a category. Multiple companies offer this journey; Tallink Silja & Viking Line. Multiple ferries every day and basically every company is offering same services and same kind of ferries, so choose the one that has the best price and timetables for you.

There are basically 2 routes. In a year or two trains should connect Finland and Sweden ! Obviously it'll remain a big detour between Stockholm and Helsinki but it'll still be useful.

Thank you so much, it helps a lot. It's lot of hassle to visit Finland via train.