Skip to main content

I have had several train trips, both in Europe and the UK delayed or cancelled using my Global Eurail pass.

The question is can I claim compensation even though I have no ticket?

Yes as soon as the delay exceeded 60 min at your final destination. See https://www.eurail.com/en/help/delay-compensation

You need screenshots to prove you delay. If the delay was 60-119 minutes you get 12 EUR and if the delay was 120 minutes or more you get 24 EUR. You can maximum get delay compensation for 50 % of the price you bought the pass for.

@Bigal 

Please note that compensations can be refused if the train was delayed due to external causes, for example bad weather, medical emergency, police intervention, according to the EU-regulations.

What if my train is cancelled or stopped short of my final destination. My Prague to Munich train stopped at Landshut and I had to catch another train to Munich

What if my train is cancelled or stopped short of my final destination. My Prague to Munich train stopped at Landshut and I had to catch another train to Munich

I’ve always just quoted my total delay to destination - original itinerary vs actual arrival. If that’s more than 60 minutes, you can claim. It’s then up to the railway companies to decide whose fault it was, but that shouldn't affect you.

You may get more by applying to some railways directly.

The UK has a comprehensive delay repay policy that starts at less than the 60 minute limit and has no exclusions for outside causes.

The UK has a comprehensive delay repay policy that starts at less than the 60 minute limit and has no exclusions for outside causes.

Avanti West Coast denied my case straight away as I was using Interrail... 70 min delay due to a faulty signal.

Avanti West Coast denied my case straight away as I was using Interrail... 70 min delay due to a faulty signal.

Interrail is a valid ticket and there is nothing in the NRCOT or Avanti passenger charter that excludes them from delay repay.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/travel-information/your-rights-and-obligations-as-a-passenger/

https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/about-us/policies-and-procedures/passenger-charter

Sadly they will regularly deny anything non standard on first application, you often need to escalate to get anywhere.

@thibcabe Did you ask Avanti West Coast directly or did you ask Interrail to obtain this compensation?

Both. First Avanti which denied it straight up. Then Interrail which denied it because I arrived 59 min late at my final destination (while I had missed my original train and had to take another less scenic route...).

You need screenshots to prove you delay. If the delay was 60-119 minutes you get 12 EUR and if the delay was 120 minutes or more you get 24 EUR. You can maximum get delay compensation for 50 % of the price you bought the pass for.

I need to apply for compensation for my cancelled EC392 on 16th August. But I didn’t screenshot the DB app which showed it cancelled (and then disappeared once the scheduled departure time had passed. We had to reserve the next train 2 hours later (EC390), which was then delayed by 90 minutes during the journey. Any idea how I can get proof of the cancellation that Interrail will accept?

Is it worth me claiming for the above from DB, rather than Interrail? Any idea how I can work that out?

Also, just on the Interrail claims process, you have to enter a pass number on the claim, which suggests a separate claim for each pass (I have four to claim for). But the help says: Please make sure you send a screenshot of all the Passes you are requesting a compensation for.” That suggests I can put more than one claim through the one form?

Thanks

@pavlosegg 

Compensations are always given by the vendor of the tickets, in this case Interrail.

I didn't find any possibility to obtain a confirmation of the delay online, only a postal address:

DB Dialog GmbH

Servicecenter Fahrgastrechte

60647 Frankfurt am Main

You need screenshots to prove you delay.

Although Interrail/Eurail ask for proof of delay, this cannot be a requirement because EU legislation does not require it. Proof of delay may speed up the case but compensation may not be refused on the sole ground that you don't provide proof of delay.

You need screenshots to prove you delay.

Although Interrail/Eurail ask for proof of delay, this cannot be a requirement because EU legislation does not require it. Proof of delay may speed up the case but compensation may not be refused on the sole ground that you don't provide proof of delay.

Thank you. I have emailed DB customer services to see if they can provide proof, but may submit my claim in the meantime.