Solved

confusion with train times

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, I have just been entering my first travel day on interail planner and worried as my ticket to get from London St Pancras to Brussels midi is 9.01 am Sat 20th July. Arriving 12.05pm. I’m hoping to catch the 12.25 train to Koln. This arrives 14.15. Then 14.53 to Munchen, then 20.50 to Salzburg, arriving 22.42.

When I put it into the planner it tells me that I get into Brussels at 12.13 ( not 12.05). If I don’t have enough time to get 12.25, then I looked at 1.25 from Koln to Munchen, but it says on site I need to reserve this train at 29 euros. The next train is 15.46, gets to Munchen 21.13, I would then have to get 21.43 to Salzburg getting in at 23.37.

Sorry it’s so long, but my questions are, is the time on my ticket correct to get into Brussels on Eurostar at 12.05? Or is 12.13 as on interail site correct? Would I have enough time to get 12.25 train to Koln?

If not, should I reserve the 1.25 train from Brussels to Koln at 29 euros? 3 of us travelling! 

Lastly, if all goes really wrong and I end up on a train which gets to Salzburg after midnight, I’m assuming it’s better to try and buy a ticket fir the last leg of journey ( Munchen to Salzburg) as cheaper than using an extra travel day, which I don’t have!

Really grateful for some advice here,

Many thanks, Melanie 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 6 June 2024, 19:33

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The Eurostar is planned to arrive at 12:05, see eurostar.com. The interrail website says the same.

If you are delayed, you never need another ticket; you can just continue on your existing one.

If you miss the 12:25 train, go and speak with Belgian Railways staff ASAP in the international ticket office and mention Railteam. They should then let you onto the 13:25 without extra costs if there are free seats. Do NOT ask Eurostar staff at the station, since they will try to fob you off (see Seat61).

In Germany, you can just take any train, no mandatory reservations.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you so much for such useful information, although still sounds a worry if they haven’t got seats on 1.25pm train! But good to know I will not be charged any extra. 

As the Eurostar train gets in at 12.05,  I am really hoping I’m going to get the 1.25. I have looked at all the tips from the man in seat 61, where there is possibly a short cut from platform 1 and 2 to get to other platforms. I’m hoping I can look up tne platform that the 12.25 train to Koln is leaving from, while I’m on the Eurostar. Is ÖBB App best one to look the platform number up on?

When getting off the Eurostar are you able to stand up early and wait at door with luggage to be early passengers off?

Many thanks 🙏 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry meant get the 12.25 train! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

ÖBB and DB apps should show the platform in Brussels. It's planned from platform 7, and if it leaves somewhere else, it'll not be too far from there. The are also departure screens in a number of places at the station.

Userlevel 1
Badge

😊 thank you 

Hi

I have made that connection in the past. Yes, you can stand st the door with your bags. Get ready 10/15 minutes before arrival in Brussels. 
good luck!

joanne

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you so much for telling me this! Really grateful ☺️ 

Fingers crossed the Eurostar is on time. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can also change your seats on the Eurostar for free (via Manage Booking); move your seat as far to the front of the train as possible.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you, I will do this 😊

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi again!

I have had a reply from Eurostar but I’m a little confused as to how and if I can change my allocated seats. Do I have to wait until checkin in that morning? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On the Eurostar website, go to "Manage your booking”. Enter your booking reference and last name. Then you can choose other seats in your train.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you 🙏 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, sorry to keep asking but I am now a little confused with seating plan, even though I’ve looked it up! 

Our seats are Coach 11. 42,45,46. Do I need to rebook in a Coach below 11 or above? Assuming first class seats are towards front, but still unsure 🫤 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I thought that the seating plan on the Euerostar website also indicated direction of travel. Anyway, coach 1 is on the London end, so the higher the coach number, the more you're at the front in Brussels.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Many thanks ☺️