Solved

Do I book hostels & flight home before going?

• 26 April 2024
  • 3 replies

iI’m planning an interrailing trip for summer (July & August) 2024. I was just wondering whether I should book all my hostels before going or just wait and see or will this be expensive/booked up? What if I decide to leave a place a day earlier than planned and then that messes all the hostel reservations up or is this not possible? And should I just book my flight home whilst I’m there in case I add places onto the end or will it be really expensive?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 26 April 2024, 16:45

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In summer you should book everything in advance yes. Maybe choose refundable options to keep some flexibility.

Expect last-minute accommodation to be more expensive and only the less well rated options could remain.

Flights: more expensive for sure. Sold out? Not necessarily if there are multiple flights a day on your route.

Also book the Eurostar early if you're planning to take it (aka as soon as your dates are set). There's a passholder quota.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I only make flexible reservations these days. 

It’s nice to have flexibility, but also the certainty that you have a reservation. It often costs the same or a little bit more.

You can see on eg booking.com or Hostelworld what the cancellation policy is.

Userlevel 1

Try also hrs.com for finding accommodation. They might not always have the cheapest options, but often their cancellation policy is upto 18.00 or even 22.59 of the day of arrival which gives great flexibility.