Skip to main content
Solved

From Italy to Spain

• 18 June 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello, my name is Marco and I am new in the community. The question is about travelling to Spain from Italy. I don’t have a lot of time and I would like to visiti in three weeks just Spain and Portugal, and I noticed that the trains to go there are more expensive than a plane (around 20/30 euro). Do you think it would make sense to travel with the plane to spare money and time, and then activate the pass once I’ll be there? thank you

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Depends on where you start and if the journey towards Spain is part of the experience.

The journey can be done fully reservation-free from Ventimiglia. It only takes longer:

- TER Ventimiglia - Nice

- TER Nice - Marseille

- TER Marseille - Montpellier - Portbou (or via Avignon) -> an Intercités (10-20€) to Narbonne could save an hour or two

- R Portbou - Barcelona

Don't forget to add the hidden costs when flying: 2 x 10€ or so to get to and from the airport, 40€ extra for luggage, etc.

You could fly one-way to Portugal and take the train afterwards (or vice-versa).

Be aware that (unfortunately) not all Spanish reservations are available online. I'd recommend to get all of them at the first Spanish station you encounter.