Solved

How to get from Vilnius, Lithuania to Riga, Latvia?

• 2 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi!!! 

I’m traveling from Lithuania to Latvia and am wondering whether it is possible by train. After some research I found out that there are no trains between the countries and that none of them will take me over the border. If this is the case I wonder if I should use a bus. If I do, is it possible to use the Interrail pass in them when I’m buying the ticket? I have a Global pass that will be activated until August 2023. 

Thank you in advance

Mirna Joronen

icon

Best answer by marc13 3 July 2023, 22:39

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your pass won't be valid on any bus there.

As rvdborgt said, the pass is not valid on the busses there.

However, with LuxExpress (they offer several departures per day between Lithuania and Latvia at competitive prices) you get 20% off standard class and 10% off business class if you have an Interrail pass:

https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/lux-express/

Note that LuxExpress tickets with discounts (as opposed to regular tickets) are not refundable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, very nice the LuxExpress discount has been reinstated. It didn't worked a while back.

Hi!!! 

I’m traveling from Lithuania to Latvia and am wondering whether it is possible by train. After some research I found out that there are no trains between the countries and that none of them will take me over the border. If this is the case I wonder if I should use a bus. If I do, is it possible to use the Interrail pass in them when I’m buying the ticket? I have a Global pass that will be activated until August 2023. 

Thank you in advance

Mirna Joronen

I'm thinking of visiting Estonia, Latvia, Ukraine and Lithuania at the end of September, has anyone any recommendations of Scenic lines, good haulage (diesel and steam prefereably), decent spots for ale.

@sipec:

For the baltics (I've never been to Ukraine):

In my opinion there aren't any routes that are especially scenic, most is just ordinary countryside.

In Estonia there is only boring haulage: modern Stadler EMUs and DMUs

In Latvia all services are still run by soviet RVR EMUs and DMUs made in Riga in Latvian SSR. But I've heard there will soon be modern Stadler units to replace some of the Soviet rolling stock.

Lithuania has mostly modern EMUs and DMUs as well, with two exceptions: Russian Transit trains to Kaliningrad (you can't use them though, you cannot get on or off them in Lithuania) and some services Klaipeda - Vilnius on weekends. They are hauled by mighty (but modern) six-axle Siemens Eurorunner locos with classic soviet/russian coaches. You can find the loco hauled trains to Klaipeda by looking at the online booking system: unlike DMUs they don't convey first class, thus you can only book second class for those trains.

@sipec:

For the baltics (I've never been to Ukraine):

In my opinion there aren't any routes that are especially scenic, most is just ordinary countryside.

In Estonia there is only boring haulage: modern Stadler EMUs and DMUs

In Latvia all services are still run by soviet RVR EMUs and DMUs made in Riga in Latvian SSR. But I've heard there will soon be modern Stadler units to replace some of the Soviet rolling stock.

Lithuania has mostly modern EMUs and DMUs as well, with two exceptions: Russian Transit trains to Kaliningrad (you can't use them though, you cannot get on or off them in Lithuania) and some services Klaipeda - Vilnius on weekends furnished apartment for rent. They are hauled by mighty (but modern) six-axle Siemens Eurorunner locos with classic soviet/russian coaches. You can find the loco hauled trains to Klaipeda by looking at the online booking system: unlike DMUs they don't convey first class, thus you can only book second class for those trains.

thank you so much for your suggestion