Solved

ÖBB Nightjet says tickets "unavailable" more than 3 months in advance? + how do seat reservations from train companies work

• 21 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I’m trying to get a nightjet from Vienna to Venice overnight (24 to 25 of July). The Eurail timetable says “Reservation fees vary based on demand” and seat reservations required but doesn’t give me an option to reserve it. The OBB nightjet website says no offers available and the general OBB website says ticket unavailable. 

Does this mean it’s already sold out? Really didn’t think it could possibly sell out so early out but I guess it is a popular time. Any help would be appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by Hektor 21 March 2024, 06:24

View original

5 replies

There are track construction works in Italy.

Because of that this train will get a new timetable that is not confirmed yet.

So it's not open for bookings yet. No date announced when it will become available. You need to try. But it's scheduled to run (an other way).

It will become possible to book with ÖBB directly (which is cheaper than with Eurail's own booking service).

There are track construction works in Italy.

Because of that this train will get a new timetable that is not confirmed yet.

So it's not open for bookings yet. No date announced when it will become available. You need to try. But it's scheduled to run (an other way).

It will become possible to book with ÖBB directly (which is cheaper than with Eurail's own booking service).

Great, thank you! Follow up question if you don’t mind, is it always cheaper to book through the transportation company than Eurail? I just booked a seat reservation from Regiojet for 2 euros and it’s not available yet on Eurail but it says “from $17”. 2 euros seemed suspiciously cheap to me. 

Regiojet has it's very own reservation fee system.

But in general: Eurail does always add a fee of (additional) 2 € per person per train. So it's cheaper to book elsewhere. But maybe that's not the transport company itself.  

But in general: Eurail does always add a fee of (additional) 2 € per person per train. So it's cheaper to book elsewhere. But maybe that's not the transport company itself.  

I’m not sure what you mean by Regiojet having its own fee system, does this mean the seat reservation I’ve purchased from Regiojet along with my pass from Eurail is sufficient?

I’m not sure what you mean by Regiojet having its own fee system, does this mean the seat reservation I’ve purchased from Regiojet along with my pass from Eurail is sufficient?

I did mean that there is no set seat reservation fee of a certain amount, but 1,30 € for Low cost, 2 € for Standard or 2,80 € for Relax.

If you did buy a seat reservation and you do hold a valid railpass with an activated travel day you may go.