Solved

1st class vs 2nd class pass to be able to book single sleepers?

Hi, 

I am planning on doing a 3-month interrail trip in September and I’m taking a few night trains. However, i only want to book single sleepers, I don’t want to share. Is it necessary to buy a 1st class interrail pass? or will the 2nd class suffice? 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by seewulf 17 July 2022, 19:54

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are no single sleepers in 2nd class.

Whether you can get a single sleeper in 1st class you need to make a close research of. It might be possible on some routes. On some routes there are only couchettes and on some routes only 2nd class sleepers are available even for persons with 1st class passes.

If you write what routes you would like to travel, then there will hopefully be travellers in the Community knowing more about the specific trains.

There are no single sleepers in 2nd class.

On all ÖBB nightjet lines (which cover many routes in central europe), all categories (including single sleeper and even the deluxe compartments) are 2nd class only.

And I just had a look for a nighttrain from Stockholm and would get a private compartment that is marked 2nd class for 954 kr (passholder reservation). So even in Sweden it seems possible... 

It depends on the railway company that runs the sleeper, if a 1st class ticket is needed for a single or not. So it depends where someone wants to go to...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Each Company have their own rules regarding Nighttrains

Austrian Rail with their Nightjets make it quite easy you can book everything with a 2nd class pass
French Rail offer just Couchette 4pers Compartment = 1st Class or 6pers. Compartment = 2nd. Class
Romania have it similar they offer 1st class & 2nd Class sleepers and Couchette :D
Slovakia 1st class pass or 1st class upgrade needed for a single compartment
Slovakia/Czech bordercrossing journey´s it´s ok with a 2nd class pass.

@marmand Do get a detailed answer plese mention the Nighttrains you are asking about ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The possibility to buy a whole sleeper compartment in 2nd class in Sweden must be new. Probably a Covid measure. Thanks for noticing @Hektor 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The possibility to buy a whole sleeper compartment in 2nd class in Sweden must be new. Probably a Covid measure. Thanks for noticing @Hektor 

It´s not new it´s just more expensive ;) You pay a “upgrade” from 2nd class to 1st class + the reservation of the berth :) Strangewise is the “upgrade” quite cheap in such cases.

Slovakia does it similar you need a 1st class ticket for single sleeper :) But the Upgrade is just arround 5-10€ depends on the route :D

It´s not new it´s just more expensive 😉 You pay a “upgrade” from 2nd class to 1st class + the reservation of the berth 🙂 Strangewise is the “upgrade” quite cheap in such cases.

Slovakia does it similar you need a 1st class ticket for single sleeper 🙂 But the Upgrade is just arround 5-10€ depends on the route :D

I don’t think so. 

It clearly says “private sleeping compartment 2nd class”. Why do you think there’s a first class upgrade included?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In Sweden it is a normal 3-bed 2nd class sleeper where you pay extra for not having to share it with someone else. Just as @seewulf wrote. 

In Sweden it is a normal 3-bed 2nd class sleeper where you pay extra for not having to share it with someone else. Just as @seewulf wrote. 

Acording to SJ website, a 1st class sleeper has max two beds and ensuite shower and toilet, and a 2nd class sleeper has max three beds and no ensuite shower and toilet. So it’s like in any other country that I pay more if I get the compartment as t3 (444 kr) or single (954 kr) - but it’s still the 2nd class sleeper (as shown in the screenshot). Certainly, you pay more to get it for you alone. 

But seewulf did write that you pay to upgrade it to 1st class -  and I can’t see there any upgrade to 1st class involved - you won’t get any 1st class peaks, you won’t get a 1st class ticket, you won’t get a first class sleeper. 

But maybe this is just an academic discussion. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In Sweden it is a normal 3-bed 2nd class sleeper where you pay extra for not having to share it with someone else. Just as @seewulf wrote. 

Acording to SJ website, a 1st class sleeper has max two beds and ensuite shower and toilet, and a 2nd class sleeper has max three beds and no ensuite shower and toilet. So it’s like in any other country that I pay more if I get the compartment as t3 (444 kr) or single (954 kr) - but it’s still the 2nd class sleeper (as shown in the screenshot). Certainly, you pay more to get it for you alone. 

But seewulf did write that you pay to upgrade it to 1st class -  and I can’t see there any upgrade to 1st class involved - you won’t get any 1st class peaks, you won’t get a 1st class ticket, you won’t get a first class sleeper. 

But maybe this is just an academic discussion. 😁

Sorry. I was confused by the replies to the replies. I agree with the person that wrote that there is no upgrade to 1st class in Sweden.

Hi everyone, 

thanks for answering so quickly!! all of this was super helpful. 

@seewulf For now, I’m planning on taking a night train from Prague to Warsaw, one from Krakow to Budapest and maybe one from Brussels to Berlin.. and an overnight ferry from Igoumenitsa to Bari. Still figuring out my itinerary... 

So should I just get a 1st class pass just in case? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is NO nite train Br-BE at all, nor even a decent one part of route.

I highly doubt if Pr->Waw or Krk→ BP will even offer 1st cl single. Youd better check that first on the sites of the railways where trip starts, cd and pkp-intercity. I suggest it might then be better to forget pass and simply book normal tickets and hope for advance. OR check seat61.com

There seems to be a new trend for people wanting the apparent best in conceived luxury and not to share. There are a very few dedicated rail-fan forums that exchange their views and tips on that. For this summer just forget it-all booked up. Later in autumn maybe can do.

BTW- due to some report I checked that SE-Snalltaget-but their ´private ´ cabin seems to be just a normal 6-bed couchette (liggevogn) that is only sold as whole-for the price of 6 beds. So not water inside. Unclear how many normal tickets have to be provided for the privilege.

I myself booked for sept. on the then new to come SJ Overnight fra STO (to see the ABBA-museum och nya sparvagn)-to HH=Hamburg. Just see how that will turn out to be

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I myself booked for sept. on the then new to come SJ Overnight fra STO (to see the ABBA-museum och nya sparvagn)-to HH=Hamburg. Just see how that will turn out to be

I guess you know that it is very uncertain if the sleepers for the SJ Night train between Hamburg and Stockholm will be delivered on time. Apparently the waggons are to be renovated in Germany and there is a need of spare parts from the Ukraine that can't be delivered. 

SJ started to sell reservations for the sleepers, but then they realised the problem with the waggons and then they took away the possibility to reserv beds in the sleepers.

I’m planning to book sleeper on EC 462 but there is no option on Eurail app. Can someone advise?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m planning to book sleeper on EC 462 but there is no option on Eurail app. Can someone advise?

You mean EN 462 Salzburg - München? That train is best booked via tickets.oebb.at. Do NOT use "Seat only” but add the Eurail/Interrail discount and then look for normal tickets. If that doesn't work for you, then please tell us your travel date.

Sorry it’s EN50462 from Wien Hbf to Stuttgart Hbf on 13 dec for 2 adults and 1 child. On Oebb.at states the ticket is not available. 

I’m looking at 3 bed sleeper with or without shower options.