Solved

3 Month Travel Through 4 Countries

• 2 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone,

Starting in April I will be traveling to the following countries: The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. I plan to take the train as much as possible, so it seems like the 3 month Global pass would be the best option for me, but I am not clear about whether or not the pass allows me to travel within a country? For example if I wanted to take a train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam or from Berlin to Munich, can I use the Global Pass to get these tickets for free? Or if I wanted to take the local transit within Berlin (S-Bahn) for example? I will be spending 5 weeks of the trip just in Berlin taking an intensive language course so this is very important for me to understand. Would appreciate clarification on this. Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Angelo 2 January 2023, 20:48

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, 

yes it is valid also for trips inside one country.

About city transportation, for example Berlin the S-Bahn is included, but the U-Bahn (Metro/Underground) and bus/tram is not included.

Thank you for the reply!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

HINT-but when it gets started is by now still unsure: as it seems to be DE -being the largest country will eat most time:  It will get a just 49€/month ticket for ALL local transportation-except the long distance DB ICE/IC-trains, this will be a far better buy. As it also includes all buses/trams/metro etc-and even a few ferries and boats. No really fast travel though-but in that timeframe this hardly should form a prob.

However as by now exact details unknown, it may be for a MIN purchase of 1 yr-as DE often has for seasons. In that case forget it. Last summer they had a very specail promotion of such monthly tickets for just 9€.

For Swiss you should also look into the many other options on offer there-as they also include far more options.

HINT-but when it gets started is by now still unsure: as it seems to be DE -being the largest country will eat most time:  It will get a just 49€/month ticket for ALL local transportation-except the long distance DB ICE/IC-trains, this will be a far better buy. As it also includes all buses/trams/metro etc-and even a few ferries and boats. No really fast travel though-but in that timeframe this hardly should form a prob.

However as by now exact details unknown, it may be for a MIN purchase of 1 yr-as DE often has for seasons. In that case forget it. Last summer they had a very specail promotion of such monthly tickets for just 9€.

For Swiss you should also look into the many other options on offer there-as they also include far more options.

Thank you I was considering this as well, to pay for the local pass in Berlin and then get the eurorail pass when I start taking the longer trains to different cities. And hopefully the 9€ ticket comes back while I will be there there :)